Red Blotches and Rashes on My Child's Face and on His Upper Torso

I know I have asked questoins on here and answered a few here and there, but one question to see what you moms know. The pediatrician returned our call and talked with my husband and said that perhaps my son has strep. The symptoms, he keeps sticking his tongue out and I told him to use his words and he said that his tummy hurts alittle. So, I know he just got over a flu, a 24 hour flu which I caught on top of a cold that my other son had. he lue consisted a fever, stomach pains and he vomited, but I didn't. Now he has red blotches which became really red in the checks as if has rosy cheeks andvery faint and small rashes all across his chest and his upper back and on his needk. The pediatrican said because my son can't say he has sore throat, he may have strep and it's commng out thourgh the rashes. I never heard of it but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Anyone heard of it? The dr also said not to take him to ER and no need to but bring him in to see the dr this coming week if it persists. I think I have a strep because it burns when I drink OJ and it's going away forcing myself to drink OJ and apple cider and homemade pasta soup and I will drink tea.

S.,

Hi it could be strep. my kids now 22 and 18 would get rashes after they had fever and I know that strep can cause a rsh. Also there's a virus called fifths disease which produces a red rash on the face and also on the body, but strep can definitely cause a rash.

I was shocked to learn that strep throat causes toddlers to vomit. But low and behold both my kids threw up and both tested positive for strep. Lesson learned.

Sounds like fifth disease to me. My daughter had it a few years ago.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/fifth.html

Dear S.,

I have seen the strep rash before and also vomiting and a stomach ache can also be signs. Untreated strep can go into scarlet fever so I wouldn't wait to long with out making sure and treating it. Strep virus untreated can be dangerous and is also painful. Make sure you see a doctor as soon as you can and if it is strep and antibiotic will be necessary. I was always told to try not to give foods to hot, try to stick to non acidic drinks as well.

yes, it can be strep. it can be a yeast infection. it can be roseola if the fever stopped and then the blotches came out. let the dr. do a rapid strep test.
lastly, sounds like you need a new pediatrician.

Hi S.:

I would recommend asking your doctor if it could be roseola. My son had the same symptoms a few months back and that's what it turned out to be. Harmless and goes away in a few days on its own. Good luck!

Does the red on his cheeks look like someone slapped him? When my twins were under a year old they got 5th disease which is on and off high fever and super red cheeks that come and go. There's no treatment; just has to run it's course but you have to stay away from anyone who is pregnant.

If its strep doesn't he need antibiotics?? Did you ask about that?

Hi S.! My prays and sympathy regarding your Mom, it's one of the hardest things to deal with in life is the losing of a loved one. One of the other is dealing with sick children because we would love to take away their sickness but depend on Doctors, some of which I have to tell you with seven children and having lived all over the country, we've experienced our share of those, shall we say, we'de rather let them "practice" on someone else. I'm not saying your Doctor follows this line but I do wonder why he/she is not asking you to bring him/them in for a throat culture to at least rule out strep! Strep is NOT something to play with and can do a great deal of harm. I'm not a doctor nor state to be but I have a great dis-like for Doctors who treat their patients with less than at least some compassion, let alone concern for instead of just another billing. The rash that you spoke about my oldest is currently experiencing, tremendous outbreaks across his chest and back, even his arms and they can happen it seems, almost instantly, cause him to want to scratch insanely, and then it seems to just go away. We KNOW it is some king of alergic reaction to something, just haven't pinpointed it yet. We did take him to a Doctor that specializes in allergies and when they shot him up and down both of his arms (52 all together), he came back being allergic to just about everything there is, (ie. pollen, dog/cat hair;saliva, weeds, rodent etc). So personally if I was you I would start with having the Dr. at least do a throat culture on all of you. Obviously if you all do have it Amoxicilin is in your future. If your son with the rash comes back negative I would ask for a referal to a specialist in allergies. Also, regardless if you are poitive or not, whenever you have a sore throat or upset stomach, stay away from citrus and dairy products, they both increase your pain and symptoms. Be blessed and I pray you all get healed quickly.

Strep rash.... a hint to help you identify strep rash, if you run ur hand over ur childs torso strep rash feels a bit like sandpaper...The Rosy cheeks you are discribing sound like Roseola. I am attaching a link about Roseola so you can judge for yourself. Hope this helps.
http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/roseola.html

1 / 3