Too Smart for Kindergarten?

OK moms, I know we all think we have the smartest kid in the world, but I'm actually worried that my son is going to be bored in Kindergarten. He already knows how to read extremely well, can do math (add, subtract, even some multiplication), tell time, count money, and the list goes on and on. I know he really needs the social aspect of Kindergarten, but does anyone know if the do anything special for kids like mine. If he gets bored with the material, he's going to get antsy and anxious. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all of the advice! We are going to talk to the teachers at his school and make sure that they keep his busy. I do not have any plans on having him skip a grade, I think that would be way too much pressure on him. I want him to feel like a kid and not a machine! I would rather him be the oldest and ahead of the class then be the youngest and fall behind because he is intimidated. Wish us luck!

It is my understanding that public schools don't have any programs for advanced students until 2nd grade. You might want to try Montessori, which challenges a child where they are at. Otherwise try a private school. Best of luck!

My son WAS just like yours! They tested him prior to K and wanted to place him in first grade instead. I went back and forth on this but because of the social skills he would learn in Kindergarten I decide to not pass him into first grade.

When he would get done with his work he would go around the classroom helping other students who needed it.They also had a computer in the classroom that my son helped other kids with (this was 14 years ago so that was a big thing most kids did not know) I thought it was great since I had such a smart kid!

Well, unfortunately it did not last as I had hoped :( My son was actually just average in the long run. Around 4-5th grade school began to challenge him more and more! I was so glad that I did not pass him to 1st since he would have definately been lacking as he got older and then there would have been self esteem issues.

The first few years we always talked to the teachers to make them aware that he was ahead of most students and got bored easily. His 3rd grade teacher was the best with this and actually had extra work to challenge him. I wish this teacher could have followed him throughtout the years!

Make sure you talk to the school. Let them know your concerns and see what options are available. If they feel your son is too advanced for Kindergarten make sure you consider his social skills as well before passing him in with older children. Remember that they can always do this later on also.... it is better to put them forward than to hold them back in the future!

And whatever you are doing now to teach your son.... Keep it up! That is awesome he can do all these things!
Many blessings to you and yours!

Talk to his teacher - see if he can get some "extra" things to work on after he finishes whatever they're doing. Can he have a book to read while he waits for others to finish? Or another assignment like drawing a picture of something specific? Offer to work with him/her (the teacher, that is) to come up with some ideas that would work for him in the classroom.

Let your child's teacher know of your concern. You could ask her if it's possible to have him tested. There are social/emotional aspects that go along with the intelligence and both need to be in place before you consider moving him along. As he gets older, there are advanced classes that they can put him in that will be a bit more challenging without having to move him up a grade. If your son's teacher is truly "in tune" with her class, she will be able to find things for him to do and create an atmosphere to keep him from being bored.

Your child does sound very intelligent. I know the Lemont school system tests for gifted children and I'm sure that Lockport probably can test, as well. I used to know a mom whose child took additional classes, at Joliet Jr. College, because they were gifted. I don't know if it was a satellite class or at the actual school. Whatever you do, you will need to discuss your son's intellect with the school - a good teacher should be able to challenge your child more if they see he is not being challenged enough. If you do choose to send him, however, school at that age is very social-minded and the social interaction is very good for your child. Whether your child gets bored, antsy or anxious....sure he may - it's school. The child that I knew was brilliant but socially inept - they were too busy trying to be perfect and the mom had them enrolled in one lesson after another...and she would tell her friends how "gifted" she was! A kid has to have time to play, too. You may want to consider even a less traditional teaching style like a Montessori school in your area.

one of my friends had a child very bright as well. she had the school evaluate the child and the school made the choice to skip kindergarten. the child did but is now 9 and in sylvan learning center to make her mommy proud. she thinks that she has to be the best because she skipped a grade. be ware of the reprocautions. if he is ready for it that let him do it. good luck

Hi C.-

Check with your school. Many schools or districts will allow children to go to first grade rather than kindergarten first, depending on their academics and emotional maturity. I know of two girls in my daughter's pre-K class who were allowed to skip kindergarten and go to first grade. One was at a public school, the other at a private school. It's worth a shot. Good luck.

I think that's great your son is doing so well with academia so early on...obviously very bright. Did you do a pre school screening earlier on? THe other thing I have heard of is talking with the school to have him tested, see where he falls on the testing scale, and home school him. Some things to ponder...will he be one of the older kids entering the class, or one of the younger ones? Is it full or half day programs? Are there enrichment programs through the school or in your area? The other thing I am going to mention here is that you said so yourself that "I know he really needs the social aspect of kindergarten." I too have a child who starts kindergarten this fall. Honestly my main concern for him is that he makes some friends, learns to sit still and and follow directions, and gain some social I.Q. Obviously I want him to do well academically, but there is so much pressure on kids to perform now a days. When we were kids kindergarten was half a day, learning to count to ten, ABC's, writing out names, etc. It was about learning how to share, cooperate, help out, bouindries...something I personally think todays' youth is lacking. Also, sometimes boredom is a fact of life. Nobody likes being bored, but sometimes we just are. Sometimes our jobs are boring, sometimes our home life is boring, or our lives in general..but we have to find ways to deal with it and go through it anyhow. It's okay, patience is a virture, and it something we learn. Now, I am sure that if they find that he is way past what they teach in kindergarten they will suggest bumping him up a grade, or enrichment classes, etc. I'd say wait and play it by ear, see how everything unfolds, he may really enjoy just being with other kids and going with the program that it will present no problems at all, if it does address it then. The other thing is this, make sure he gets plenty of fresh air and exercise if he is not already, this helps ant in the pants a lot. Anyhow, you'll know what to do when the time is right...being a parent is so tricky, and the fact that you care so much shows what a terrific Mom you are. Good luck.

1 / 3