Toddler with Swollen Forehead!!!!!!!!

My son is 20 months old and I have noticed off and on for the past 5 months that his forehead gets swollen. It feels kinda mushy. I had thought before that it was because he hit his head, but it is swollen today and he hasn't hit his head lately. I have shown the doctor before, but at that time he had a rash on his cheeks so we thought that was related but he hasn't had the rash on his face now for about a month.I'm going to make him an apt tomorrow but I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I can't find much info on google and I feel like his doctor just doesn't know.

Here's what I found googling "swollen forehead".

There are 421 different diagnoses of a swollen head. The fact that it only happens in the forehead should narrow it down.

Go here for more information:
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/swollen_head/cause...

Maybe his sinuses are clogged. Does he have any other allergy symptoms? My friends son used have that happen when he was having allergy issues or coming down with a sinus infection.

I would follow your mother's intuition. Go to the doctor and be prepared to give any other info about your son even if you think it may not matter. Any littlebit of info can help. Behavior issues? Any other swelling or rashes? Growth issues? Anything strange with his eyes? If you don't feel comfortable with your doctor's answer, ask for a referal to a neurologist and push it! You are the mom and you know your son best!
Take care.

M.,

I am not sure why your son's forehead is swollen, but it sounds serious to me. I would get a second opinion from another doctor. Since you said your doctor doesn't seem to know what it is, ask them who they can refer you to for further evaluation. Even if its nothing, it will put your mind at ease- you don't want to miss anything that you could be treating with your baby! I'm not sure what kind of doctor but I am thinking maybe an Ear Nose and Throat doctor. Just a guess?

Take care and hope everything is ok.

Get a second opinion and don't wait!

This does sound strange and possibly serious. I would not be put off by the Dr. not taking it seriously, and would ask for a second opinion, or even to see some sort of specialist.

He's your child! If you think this is serious, and it sounds like something that needs attention, take him to his MD the second you see it, with or without an appoitment, or go to the ER.

Why take a chance it could be something that needs to be addressed?

You're a good mother trust you self and do whatever you think you need to do in order to get this question answered.

Good Luck.

Go here for more information:

Oh yeah... a second opinion is a good idea... and if you need a third... don't stop... go for it... I believe that if there is nothing wrong, then no biggy... but if there should be a problem, then early detection of anything always has a better outcome for patients, specially children!!!Try a neurologist or a developmental doctor... better to rule out than to ignore signs...that may not be anything, but you never know!!!

Love, G.. :0)

Does it happen around the time of a vaccine (if you are giving them). They can cause swelling of the head. Check out the PDR of the most recent vaccines to make sure that's not it. Yes, I agree with the other moms, this is not normal and needs to be addressed.

I doubt this is it and I don't want to panic you as the forehead doesn't seem like a typical place for this issue but a good friend's daughter was diagnosed with something called Lymphomic Malformation. Her cheek is swollen all the time. That likely is a key difference - her cheek is always swollen vs sometimes like your son's - but I guess the swelling can fluctuate. Again - likely not it but it's very rare so your doctor may not be familiar with it and it may be worth mentioning at least.

I agree with Lisa M.

Hi M.-

I am a Chiropractor and specialize in maternity and Pediatrics. I would suggest you seek someone who can do cranial/sacral therapy for your son. The swollen/mushy head can be caused by many things and should be checked out. Any misalignment in the cranium can impede proper neurological growth and also cause an imbalance in the upper cervical (neck) spine where the brain stem is. The rash can be related to this, as the brain stem is where the immune system is coordinated. The great thing about this work is that children's spines are mostly cartilage at this age, so they respond quickly. It's important to correct these things before the spine does ossify and then it becomes permanent. I do cranial work in my practice.

I hope that helps.

-Dr. L.

Dr. L. Gerner, D.C., FICPA
Gerner Family Chirorpractic
429 F St., Suite 8A
Davis, CA 95616
###-###-#### (LOVE)
www.gernerchiropractic.com

Go to your pediatrician. If you do not have faith in the doctor ask for a second opinion or get a referral to someone else. I would get this checked as soon as you can.

Haven't read responses, but have you considered cranial-sacral therapy? It may be that the swelling is coming from a misalignment of the skull plates that's only now becoming apparent as your son grows. It's a thought. I don't know of anyone who practices, but I've read that it works miracles for newborns with nursing, jaw alignment, and/or skull issues.

I would definitely get back to a dr. Is his head swollen more in the morning or evening. Hopefully it is something as innocent as sinus problems but my brother was hydrocephalic and that was how the nurse discovered it. His head was swollen more in the morning because the fluid on his brain had built up while he was laying down at night. This was discovered when he was a week old so I'm not sure if the condition would occur in an older baby or not.

Go to this site:

http://www.pubmed.nl/

and type in "Swelling in forehead"