Toddler Beds - Jacksonville Beach,FL

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations for good quality toddler beds? We are looking to transition our 2 year old to his "big-boy" bed a few months before the new baby is born, and I'm finding it overwhelming doing a blind search for this type of product. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

WOW!!! what a great response. Within 12-24 hours I had 13 responses to my request. Thanks so much to everyone for their advice. I started e-mailing everyone individually to thank them, but got a little overwhelmed due to the awesome response. I really appreciate all the information and experiences. It has helped us a bunch!!!

It truly is more cost effective to go ahead and get a twin mattress and just put it on the floor. You can get a railing to put up if you want, but my almost 2 year old did nothing but play on it til he flipped over it. So we took it down. We left his crib up and started him out on the mattress at naptime til he was used to it. Then we added on nighttime too. But it is helpful to keep the crib up. When you start to try to get them to stay in their bed, they realize they can get out!! So we kept the crib up for those 2am wakeup calls when my boys didn't want to stay in their bed. Best of luck!!
Jen

We just bought our son his first bed. We got the Thomas the Train plastic one from ToysRUs. It was pretty easy to put together and has a little toy box, a place for books on top and little grooves on the side where the kids can roll the trains. Both my four year old daughter and my two year old son love to play with the trains on that. Anyway, he loves the bed. The only down side is that it doesn't come with a mattress support. We just used the one from our crib but since you will be using the crib, you will have to either get a mattress support or piece of plywood for that. The bed was $269 on sale for $229. No matter what bed you buy, I think it is important to get him excited by either letting him go shopping with you and picking it out or just looking on the internet and showing him pics. My son did great his first two nights. A little crying at first. Naptime on the other hand was not so great. He just played in his room the whole time because now he is able to get up and move around. It is an adjustment so it takes time so there will probably be a transitional period no matter what bed you buy. Good luck

With my two kids we skipped the toddler bed transition and instead just bought a twin mattress and placed it on the floor. Since our bedrooms are carpeted it worked great for two reasons; if they fall off the bed the drop is only like 6-8 inches (thickness of the mattress) and they will land on the carpet. There is no more transition once they get use to their new bed. My son was 21 months when we introduced his new bed. He has always loved it and slept well. I would still recommend getting the "fence" for the side of the mattress. Sams Club or Costco have great prices on new mattresses. Best of luck! :)

I would go with a twin bed and bedrails. It will be easier on you and save you money in the end. There will be many nights that you will find yourself snuggled up along side your son and the twin will allow that. (Like reading bedtime stories, caring for him while he is sick or comforting him after a nightmare...) Good luck!

Jen

M.,
After doing a lot of research on this same issue. I choose to get my boys twin beds. Sure you have the spend a little more money, but I plan on having the beds for ever. They are bunk beds, but we don't have them bunked b/c the boys are too young. However, if you are set on the toddler bed don't buy pine. Stick with a stong wood like teak. You have look online for a list of strong woods. Consider looking at yard sales for something b/c he isn't going to be in the bed but for about 3 years maybe less.
Good Luck,
R.

I got a racecar toddler bed on craigslist with the plywood already in it. I had to buy a new crib mattress for the new baby, but the older one had already broken in his own mattress anyway. If you can find a cheaper toddler bed, I would go that route. I don't think I would spend the money to buy a new one since they are only in it for a few years.
Be prepared, as soon as they figure out that they can get out, you will have about a week or so of having to constantly put them back in the bed at all hours.

We moved our two-year-old into a twin size bed in January (we were expecting Baby #2 in May). I was going to go the toddler bed route until I realized that meant the cost of the bed plus another crib mattress plus bedding... and when she outgrew it in a year or two I'd have to buy the twin size stuff anyway! So we just went straight to the twin. I did put bed rails on it so she'd feel more secure, and it took her about 3 weeks to adjust to it, but she did great and she LOVES her "big-girl bed" now! Good luck whatever you decide.

Just my two cents, but I don't think there is any need to spend a ton of money on one. You just will need a 2nd crib mattress (one for the new baby and one for the toddler bed). We bought ours at a 2nd hand sore and bleached it down really well. We only needed it for 18 months or so and then got her a regular sized bed. They can be tough on them. If you want to go the "fancy" route and get a boat or car or princess bed, go for it... but just a plain one made of plastic melamine stuff worked well for us. (Using clorox spray to clean it is fine).
Enjoy the transition... this is an exciting time.

1 / 3