Toddler Bed Vs. Regular Twin Bed

I was wondering what the major advantages of a toddler bed were. How long do toddlers normally stay in a toddler bed? We have a daughter that will be 3 years old in November and she is still sleeping in her crib. We plan on keeping her in her crib until she is 3. We have a twin bed and my husband just wants to skip the toddler bed and put her in a twin bed. I know they are bigger, higher off the ground and have rails. If we put the bed against the wall and buy rails for the other side would she be okay? Thank you for your opinions!!!

TOTALLY OK to do the twin bed that way ;) the rails are great... we used/use them for my girls... we have bunk beds now and my oldest sleeps on top and my 4yr old sleeps on bottom with side rails added on... we had rails on both sides for awhile and then moved the bed against the wall for one rail to make more room in the bedroom... my daughter has been in a twin since she was 2... she loves all the room and how it makes her feel like a big girl ;) we let her pick her bedding and that made it even more special :) good luck!

My 2 year old sleeps in a twin with rails. I don't see any advantage to a toddler bed. Just something to spend money on.

I think it's fine to go right to a twin bed. The only fall off once while asleep, maybe twice and then they are good to go. The only advantage I would think of is that they can get into a toddler bed by themselves and may not be able to do so with a twin bed. A step stool could always fix that if needed.

We didn't waste our money on a toddler bed when we transitioned our (then ) 2 1/2 year old to a big girl bed. We figured that she'd outgrow it in a year or two and we'd STILL have to spend money on a regular bed. She did well with the twin bed (with those rails on the sides)and we plan on doing the same for our two year old next year.

Just my FYI but I would save the money and skip the toddler bed. You can get a twin bed that is low to the ground with the drawers underneath for storage. That is what we use for our daughter who is 2 and we got one of those side rails and it works perfectly.

My eight year old daughter went from her crib to a twin size bed, I see no need for a toddler bed. My daughter never fell out of the bed.

We moved our first daughter to a twin bed when she started getting out of her crib when she was around 2 and 1/2. I was also pregnant with #2, so the timing was good. We took the box spring out so she was really only sleeping on the mattress on the wood base (making the whole thing closer to the ground). We got a rail set from Target which withstood some wear and tear but has been long gone. Now she is 5, up on the box spring + matress, and just fine.

Our second daughter had to go from crib to toddler bed because we had #3, and the girls had to start sharing a room (baby got the crib and the room to himself) and there was simply no room for another twin bed in big sis's room. This also works well, although the younger daughter gets into the twin bed with her big sister during the middle of the night.

So, both ways are working for us. I think you should follow your gut, and maybe even ask your child for input. If she feels that she has a say, she may be a great sleeper in her new bed.

Tip: we got our toddler bed from a resale shop, so if things wouldn't have worked out, we were only out $50.

Good luck! J.

L.,
Both of my children went from a crib straight to a twin bed by the age of two. I just made sure that one side was up against the wall and I bought a bed rail that was extra long and high. They are now 5 1/2 and 2 1/2 and neither of them have ever fallen out of their beds. (Knock on wood). We opted not to buy a toddler bed because we knew that they wouldn't be in it for that long. Best of Luck!!!!

She will be fine, and she will rapidly get used to it!

We have a toddler bed, but only because our crib converts into one. If I had to buy one, I'd buy a twin. My daughter is on the small side, so she'll be able to use the toddler bed for awhile, but it seems like a waste of money to be honest! If you're concerned about it being too high off the ground, get a piece of plywood cut to the size of the bed, cover it with a sheet so it doesn't snag the mattress, then put the mattress on that. It will lower the bed significantly but still give enough support for the mattress. They sell all kinds of bed rails too. We moved my daughter to the toddler bed at two and she only fell out of bed once. I had put some blankets and stuff on the floor by her bed and she never even woke up!

1 / 3