Teaching My 3 1/2 Year Old Grandson Abc's, Numbers, Colors, Etc

Any suggestions for me teaching my grandson so he can be ready for Kindergarden? He will be 4 in October. Thank you very much, M.

The best way is just to reniforce through everyday activites. Hands on is the best way to learn.At the grocery store, identify colors of food, counting produce, and letters that items start with. Driving down the road, at home, anywhere really. Make homemade flash cards: write number 1, add one sticker, #2, two stickers. Make alphabet flashcards using photos of family, houshold items or pics from magazines. If you think he would like it, you can buy preschool age workbooks at Target, etc., but things he's involved in will help him learn better.

***also- Do things to increase his small motor skills to help with cutting and penicl holding. Get some kid safety scissors and let him cut up magazines. Playdough, puzzles, legos, lacing cardsand stringing beads are good for that.

Most boys are visual....so they may have a tendency to be visual learners. My son has done exceptionally well with the "Letter Factory" DVD by leap frog.....it was recommended to me by my cousin who is a teacher. It teaches them the sounds the letters makes, etc... He is far more advanced in the letter area than the other kids in his preschool class...he's 4. They also make other videos that go in to spelling, etc....

He probably already knows a lot more than you think. But on the off chance that he does not know this stuff.. here are some suggestions. Fist off, kids learn best through play. No need for flash cards, memorization or anything in that nature. Have him gather up all his monster trucks or cars or blocks, etc.. You can easily work on counting and colors with these items. Count the items, group them by colors, ask him to give you the red one, just PLAY! As for abc's, just point things out but keep it fun. Have letters around for him to see. Both of my kids loved that refridgerator toy by Leap Frog where you put a letter in and it tells you the letter and the sound it makes. Read - reading books to him will help him learn his letters. Don't just read the story - say, "where is the RED fox?, where is the yellow sun? what color is the sun? what color is that log?" etc... he'll learn colors... Ask him to find letters/numbers as well. Most of all, keep it fun and he will enjoy himself and learn at the same time.

Love what the responder before me said about the grocery store. This was always one of my favorite things to do with my kids. They learned a lot on these trips. Also her suggestion regarding cutting and playing w/play doh - all great stuff for him to be doing.
Best wishes,

Follow what he is interested in. We have used dry erase markers on our mirrors. My daughter loves it. and also sidewalk chalk. There is also a great Leap Frog DVD I think its called letter factory, that my kids love. My 21 month old is picking up on what the 4 year old is learning. Its funny b/c she sees letters and starts rambeling some off (not accurately but at least she knows its letters) she does the same thing with colors too!

So anyway whatever things your grandson is interested in take his lead. Ask him what his shirt is or cars are. See if he can count this that or the other thing. Have him find certain letters on a sign. Turn it into a game. take him to the market and have him find different fruits and veggies and count out how many you need. (no guarantee but it may help him eat them too if he picks them out.) Basically have a lot of fun with it. Don't worry a whole lot if he isn't getting the hang of it either. just let him be 3.

My mom taught my son his colors by using M&M's candy. My son picked it up quick since he loves chocolate. It made it fun for him and he was learning at the same time. He knew his colors before he turned 2. And he learned his numbers by me just counting to him everyday, and when we got to the number 10, we would yell the number really loud and dance around all silly. Whatever you decide to do, just make it fun! Good Luck!

using playdoh and other very sensorial ways, such as puzzles, etc... the sounds of the letters. Stress the sound of the alphabet much more than the name of the letter to avoid confusion later. Same for numbers. Count toys. As for colors-focus on 1 color at a time and have him point it out everywhere he sees it. Coilor them in a rainbow. Red, orange, Yellow, green, blue, purple, etc... Look at math beads(abacus) for numbers. The Montessori method-check online is very helpful. Read with your grandson on topics he likes. This is daily. Read easy books for learning to read and harder, more interesting books for developing reading comprehension, etc...

My sister is teaching her son his letters and numbers by writing them out on individual papers and letting him trace them with his finger and pudding. He can lick his fingers in between! You can also make the pudding with the child.
Have fun!

In my son's room I have a couple of posters that are very colorful of his ABC's and 123's. In the living room there is even a poster of colors. I go over his ABC's everyday in his room with him pointing to the letter and repeating what I say. He knows the last letter of the alphabet which is cool because it shows pictures of what the letter begins with. Whenever my son wants to color I have him say the color of the crayon first before I give it to him. Even when we are outside I will ask what color is the tree or what color is the sky. Like one of the mom's said make it like a game. He will get it soon just make it fun for him.

1 / 3