Summer Programs for 5 Year Old While Parents Work

I was wondering what parents do with their school aged children during the summer while they are at work. I have a 5 year old boy who is in Kindergarden and not sure what to do during the summer while my husband and I work. He no longer goes to daycare and I am a little nervous about camps not just with the cost but about what you see on the news these days. Just trying to get some ideas of what other children do during the summer.

My daughter went to Kids League in Westford last year. they are actually year round - but she went for the summer. I wanted something fun, yet educational, and their activities include both - nice, nice people as well...look into them! good luck

I sent my daughter to a camp in the woods last year (when she was entering Kindergarten) and was really nervous about it. There is a giant pool and she couldn't swim. Plus I knew there would be a lot of independance needed. Well, she excelled!! She loved it. Played all day, learned to swim, cam home FILTHY DIRTY with smelly feet and loved every minute.

Camp is great for kids. Send him. He'll love it. And did I mention the passing out by 7PM every night from exhaustion??

My daughter goes to an afterschool program in Kindergarten, and they offer summer 'daycare' that offers field trips, lunch and activities. Check with your child's school and see what daycares are available nearby.

Check out your local community center, YMCA, Boys and Girls Club, etc. Most of these organizations have fun, safe and reasonably priced summer programs. Ask around at your elementary school, check with your son's classmates' parents and see what they recommend.

His school should have an After School program that runs during the
summer as well.
We used that w/my SD when I used to work outside the home.
I'd check w/his school.

In my city there are TONS of summer programs, and many of them are very very well reviewed. Many of the private elementaries offer programs, the local rec center, the YMCA, the Childrens Museum, and some of the independent aftercare programs have summer camps too. I love that my girls will be able to do all sorts of different things in summer camp - one week will focus on Dinosaurs, another is a cooking camp, then a hiking camp. So fun.

most day cares (kindercare etc) will take a 5 year old for the summer.. I would feel more comfortable with a day care than some of the summer programs for older school age kids..

many city's parks and recs have summer camps.. but they are usually for ages 5-12.. so your child would be young most school districts have camps.. for school age kids..

My daughter is in kindergarden and I will probably need some childcare this summer for her.. I will be very careful about what summer care I pick as she will be one of the youngest and I would be very concerned about her getting lost on field trips.. I also dont like her hanging out with bigger older kids..

Check out your local Boys and Girls Club to see what it offers. The lead staff members are adults, well trained and employed year long, so they are well qualified to provide fun and safe days.

When my children were that age they did the summer camps at a Montessori pre school. I really liked this set up because they had quite a few pre k kids as well as kindergartens and they were the older kids :)

1 / 3