After School and Summer Programs for Children for Low Income Families

Hi g-ma
I need to find out where my grandkids can go for after school and summer vacation.My son and daughter inlaw are hard working parents, but don't make enough to put them in some of these centers, prices are crazy. We have to be very carefull of the place as well. Anybody who knows of a place or program, I would be so grateful.

I want to thank everyone who responded to me, you guys have given me so much information and I am grateful. Now it's up to my daughter inlaw to use all the resources you have given me and find a place to put the kids in for the summer and after school. This is as far as I can go. Thank you

Try Nye Park on Sunset in Lutz, they only charge about $50 the entire summer. I went when i was a kid & my son has gone in the past. They do a lot w/the kids & my son always had fun. Spots go very quickly though so i'd contact them soon & sign up asap.

look into the Tampa Parks and recreation. They have summer programs for approx. $25 - 30 per kid for the whole summer. You just pay extra when they go on field trips. Look for one with an inside shelter incase of rain.

My kids attend after-school and summer programs at a county park facility. Look up Hillsborough County Parks Dept. You have to do a lottery to get in, but it's an awesome program once you're in it. After-school is free and summer is $50 a child. It doesn't matter what your income is, it's for everyone. You can sign up for the lottery at any county park if you live in Hillsborough County. Check it out soon because the lottery is this month!

I need to find out where my grandchild can go for after school and summer vacation.My son is a single dad and needs to work to afford rent, he does not make enough to put him in some of these centers, prices are crazy. We have to be very carefull of the place as well. Anybody who knows of a place or program, I would be so grateful. I live in Miami Florida( little Havana area).

Thank you

The parks and rec centers are wonderful. The Tiny Tots program is free during the school year. I think after care is about $30 a month! Please try it out, it's a great program and you will be saving the jobs/programs at the parks :)

Try Kiddie Campus University. They are on US 41 (just north of the Florida/Nebraska fork) in Lutz. In comparison to most of the daycares in the area, they are pretty inexpensive. I have no idea how much the program is for the summer program or afterschool program. I pay $125/week for my 4 year old to be there all day. They also offer the VPK program which I will be able to utilize in August were I will only pay $80/week for all day.

The teachers there are great and they have a GREAT older kids area with computers, video games, ski ball table, foosball table, basketball games, basketball court, etc. They have my 4 year old (just now 4) reading already!!!!

Check the county parks and recreation department. I sent my son for several years to the after school and summer programs for less than $100 for the entire year! They have many activities and a lot of extras that cost extra for the summer too. Hope this helps.

Hi R.,
It might be too far for you, but the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center has some wonderful programs accessible by scholarship. If any of the children are teens, they can apply for the Kids Connect summer program. There are other programs for younger kids. ALso, the City of Tampa Parks and Rec Dept has very inexpensive, all-day "camps" that effectively, serve as day care.
good luck!

1 / 3