Suggestions for Switching Older Dog with Allergies to a Raw Diet

My 14 year old lab mix has recently developed allergies- she is a itching mess, even with the benedryl I give her everyday. I have been thinking about going to the raw diet but because of her age I am concerned - she also has a bit of a problem "holding it" and has semi-frequent accidents inside(usually number #2). But the constant itching makes her seem so miserable I just feel like it is quality of life issue for her and I want to do something to help! Any suggestions about this-should I try it and where to start? Will she get loose stools during the switch- what to expect?

Thanks for all your input- because of all the comments I have decided to forgo the raw diet as too harsh to switch to at her old age and are instead trying a grain-free food. I have upped her benedryl dosage as well and she seems to be better all ready.

I've been researching what to do with sick animals and I read that flaxseed oil mixed with cottage cheese will help with a lot of ailments, particularly with older animals. Mix one tablespoon refrigerated high-quality flaxseed oil with 2 tbsp organic cottage cheese in a blender until the oil is completely blended. You can mix with a little water. Google Budwig Diet for more information.

Also co-q-10 can help as well. You might try those things before switching his diet around. Not all animals will go for a raw diet and you can't force them.

When my dog started developing issues with holding it (urine) I took her to the vet. The vet recommended tests and I spent the money happy to do whatever she needed. She was dealing with kidney failure. the recommended feeding was cooked brown rice with a thin broth (mine preferred beef) poured over it. she lived another year. She had been losing weight and drinking an enormous amount of water before our vet visit and even though the best advice I got from the vet was to put her down, my husband disagreed. My dog lived another year, and in retrospect I realize I kept her alive for selfish reaasons.....she laid around alot and was often too tired to run with the kids. My suggestion is talk to your vet ( or Anti Cruelty if money is a big problem) and see what can be done to give you dog a longer quality life. It is rough to say goodbye, but honestly, if you wait too long it still hurts you just as much and puts them through far more discomfort than they deserve for being such loyal friends.

My inlaws went out of town and we had to care for their dog. my husband decided to start giving the dog different , healthier food. he also took the dog on walks to improve his health. the dog didn't live for much longer after this. I think you should stick to the regular diet for your dog because she may not be able to physically handle something new.Hope she gets better soon.

Hi K.
If benedryl is not working try claritin 1x daily, they all work differently for different people/dogs.also ask your vet they have stronger meds to offer. try some fish oil or salmon oil which will help the coat and inflamation. did you try an oatmeal bath/groom? if so did you rinse really well?
raw diet will give loose stool especially in the begining, usually gets better however she is pretty old, most people who use it swear by it. talk with your vet about other options and go over the raw diet. anything to make her more comfortable. Yes quality of life is what matters here, good for you for knowing that!
Good luck I have 5 dogs they sure are part of the family!!

V.

If you do switch to raw diet, Ruff Haus pets on Rockwell in Chicago specializes in and carries raw diet. The owner, Richard, is really knowledgeable on the topic and could probably give you some advice if you are going to go that route. He also carries lots of other alternative type dog foods and I'm sure he has more than one that is hypo-allergenic. I know when our cat was vomiting 7 to 8 times per day, I first did $300 worth of blood work to find out that nothing was wrong. He recommended a food called Prairie, that has no by-products and contains fish rather than chicken protein. She now vomits only occasionally. Wish I would've tried that first!

We did raw with our dog every other month when he was younger.

We stopped, but here are the thing to look out for:
1. it will make her pee more (more liquid in the raw meat)
2. our dog showed a bit more aggressive behaviors whenever he had raw meat (and I wasn't comfortable with small children in the house).
3. Her poop will be different...and more white in color and not stink as much.

Talk to your vet about issues with switching an older dog to a raw diet. She will also go through a cleansing period when you first do it (because you won't be giving her all the fillers from the store brand dog food). So, her allergies might get worse for a little bit before they get better.

Good luck. I'd be happy to answer any other questions if you have any.

I have an acquaintance who is an expert in this field. She owns a company that makes raw food diet lines and treats for dogs. She knows all of the effects and benefits of switching. She has used the raw diet to treat/cure canine cancer and allergies. I do know for certain, that the size of the stools will be much smaller because all of the nutrients are getting absorbed, not turned into waste. Please contact her! Her name is Kelly Yearwood - her email address is ____@____.com

Oh, and she delivers!!! Good luck!

Hi, how about starting prednisone instead of benedryl? Especially since she's 14. Vets don't always like to start young dogs on pred because of effects due to long-term use, but my older dog takes one prednisone everyday, and I also have a topical spray from the vet that works like magic on "hot spots" called Betagen Topical Spray. Good luck.

1 / 3