My Little Bichon Scratching All the Time Is Driving Me Crazy

Does anyone know what I can do for my bichon to keep him from scratching all the time. We take him out for walks, bring him back in and rinse his feet off. He all most has the hair scratched off his feet and spots on the the rest of his body that he has scratched so much he has made himself bleed. I took him to the vet and she gave him some pills for a yeast infection on his feet. He has been on them now for 10 days. I give him 25mg of benedryl in the AM and the PM, but that is not doing anything. I am at my wits end.

I use DINOVITE, a nutritional supplement, to keep my dog from scratching and having those hot spots. I heard about it on WBAP talk radio. It is working great for my dog.

http://www.dinovite.com/

I had a Bichon that was doing the same thing. Their skin gets dry and they chew their paws and scratch a lot. My vet gave us some cortizone cream and pills too. Be careful with all the scratching though because mine always ended up with hot spots on him that had to be shaved off by the vet and they sometimes got worse.

My Brussels Griffon is highly allergic and chews his feet and scratches when he is reacting. If the scratching has gone on long enough, there may be a bacterial infection on top of the yeast infection. This is what we dealt with most recently. He was on an extensive treatment of anti-fungal pills for the yeast infection and also given antibiotics (through a shot then pills) for the bacterial infection. Stay away from steroid shots as this is not healthy for a dog but will break the itch cycle.

My 30 pound sheltie does the same thing. He is just allergic to grass, so the summer is hard. We had a bumper crop of fleas this year as well. My vet gave me a series of shampoo with a spray and a gell and that seemed to slow it down. The cooler weather helped as well, it slowed down the fleas. Try an all natural dog food. That worked for Hobie and another of my shelties that is now deceased. I don't know how big bichons are, but my vet tells me to give home 2 benedryls in the Am and PM.

Hope I have helped.

Take Care!

just an idea, what type of bowl are you feeding him out of? is it plastic? my sister has a pomerainian and she was the same way the vet told her to swtich out all of the food and water bowls to metal and her itching would stop. and it did. might think about this.

Bless your and your little dogs heart, constant itching, scrathcing, licking and the like is horrible and so annoying at times. I have a westie, and this poor thing has gone through so many different meds and foods till we finally found something to help his allergies. he would chew and scratch to the point that from the middle of his back to the end of his tail was hairless, black and elephant like skin. poor baby was miserable!!! i suggest def. talking to your vet, find out what your options are. so many have given a great deal of help/suggestions/experiences and i do hope it all helps.
also you might check for hot spots, my corgie/pointer mix has hot spots for which we have to administer cordizone to just to keep her om chewing.
another thing you might use that is completly safe, is a product called YUCK, apply this to the area (its a spray) and it will deture your dog from chewing so much b/c it taste horrible, (trust me i've accidently got some in mouth...GAG!!) this will help a bit until the allergies are under control.
I wish you much luck, this can be a time comsuming matter that seems like it will never end, but it will...just dont give up!!!
God Bless you both!!

I feel bad for you and know the feeling. I have a beautiful five year old Bichon and he is well groomed and on a helathy no grain diet and spoiled rotten. Every year around this time Baxter gets a horrible hot spot. I don't like drugs, so I keep the infected area clean and dry with tar shampoo. I also use a topical with cortizone which you can get fro your Vet. I don't like drugs due to the fact that it will effect the immune system in your beloved pet and the hot spots will be more frequent. Every dog is different like people and I think Baxter's is weather related. Good luck and hope this helps a little. I also give filtered water for his tear staining which is none. I love dogs and I have five more but he is the only Bichon that I deal with. I have a little girl Bichon and she can eat anything and nothing bothers her and never had a hot spot! Baxter my male, is so sensitive. I also think it is genetic and they were all from puppy mills.
They all take fish oil and vitamins as well. They cost me a fortune but well worth it.
E.

Updated

E.

Hi, D.. My sister's dog had the same problem. She gives her alfalfa tablets and no more scratching! You can go to the health food store, or use Shaklee. I am an Independent Distributor and would be happy to help you order my product. The link is below. Good luck! S.

http://www.shaklee.net/health_revolution/product/Alfalfa

Hi D.,

A woman I know is having a workshop in a couple of weeks about pet nutrition. She helped me a lot with my dog. Maybe you are interested in attending.

Good Food, Good Communication: A Workshop for Dog Moms and Dads
Presented by Marti Miller, MA
Saturday, October 25, 1:00 - 3:00pm
Learn how to provide the best nutrition for your dog. The benefits are healthier pets, fewer trips to the vet, fewer problems with fleas and ticks, and more. The second half of the workshop focuses on pet communication. Discover your inner Dog Whisperer! Workshop is $60. Private session with Marti is $30.
Workshop held at Studio 909 Creating Wellness
909 West Magnolia Avenue
Fort Worth, TX 76104
Reservations can be made at ###-###-####

D.,
My dog was scratching alot too, and I could find no fleas, etc. My vet said she might need some skin conditioner (we're in a terrible dry spell here in the OK Panhandle) and I rub a bit in every 4 - 5 days. She loves the attention, and her scratching has reduced considerably. (I used Arbonne Skin Conditioning Oil.)
A. Evans

Did your vet do a skin test for Demodectic Mange? (caused by tiny mites.) It is not contagious like the other type of mange (sarcoptic?), but it causes an itch that a dog will scratch until bleeding.

Usually vets will "dip" a dog with mange in a toxic brew. I heard that some little dogs died after this treatment. (Could be a rumor.) There is a holistic line of dog ointments out of Australia that you could google.

The women who suggested a corn food allergy/ or grass allergy might be right. I, myself, am going to try out the food suggested: Natures Variety. I just visited that website (www.naturesvariety.com) and found out that the Bark N'Lounge on Keller Parkway carries it.

1 / 3