April 19, 2008,
K.S. asks from Turlock, CA on April 15, 2008
Successful Preganancy After an Ectopic Pregnancy
In the middle of January, I had an ectopic (tubal) pregnancy, my right fallopian tube burst and I had to have emergency surgery. The surgery was similar to C-Section where as they had to cut open my stomach and not able to do a laproscopic because of the amount of blood loss I had. The surgery consisted of removing a small piece of my uterus and a piece of my right fallopian tube thus leaving them unattached. My question is has anyone had a successful pregnancy after having a procedure such as this. The doctor says it is possible, but riskier and could end up having another ectopic pregnancy. We would like to have one more child and are trying to decide, natural or adopt? Any info or past experience would be helpful. Thank you.
C.M. answers from Sacramento on April 19, 2008
It is very possible!!! I have a girlfriend who had to have on of her overies removed with part of her fallopian tube, and now with out having to use any fertilazation drugs she now has TWIN baby girls!!!! Don't give up hope!!!
J.F. answers from Fresno on April 18, 2008
Moms recommend the following deals from Mamapedia:
S.M. answers from San Francisco on April 16, 2008
I had a regular pregnancy at 19, an ectopic pregnancy in my early 20's and then about 6 years later another ectopic pregnancy and lost a fallopian tube from scarring.
Almost 15 years later I have had my second child and she is healthy and strong and so am I!
I was so scared at the thought of an ectopic, but the thought of not having another child was scarier. I had a normal pregnacy and have no regrets! Natural is indeed possible I am a fact! I am 46 and have a beautiful and healthy 3 year old!
J.W. answers from San Francisco on April 16, 2008
You may want to look into In Vitro Fertilization. It bypasses the tubes. It is expensive and not guaranteed, but it does give you a chance without the fear of an ectopic pregnancy. Talk with your doctor. Also, if you are open to it, adoption can be a beautiful choice. I did 7 IVF's and never got pregnant, then adopted our daughter only to become pregnant with our son. So I have done it all :) Adoption is a great route, guaranteed child at the other end. You have lots of choices and opportunites out there! If you need any more info please feel free to email me directly.
J.F. answers from Fresno on April 18, 2008
My daughter had the same thing 4 years ago. She has since had a health 2 year old and a 4 month old. My cousin had a tumor removed 30 years ago and then had 4 health children who are now grown and providing her with grandchildren. Just take time to heal befor the next one. Good Luck.
A.G. answers from San Francisco on April 16, 2008
I've had four ectopics.
1) We had already been trying for over a year to get pregnant with no success. It just so happened that after a month of seeing my doctor to figure out our options, I missed my period. She confirmed I was pregnant by doing a blood test, but noticed my hCG levels were low. After several tests and an ultrasound, it was determined to be ectopic. She did laproscopic surgery and the egg had managed to pass out of my right tube so they just did a D&C.
2) Six months later, another one. This time the egg was still in my right tube and they removed 4-6 inches off the bottom of the tube.
3) About nine months later, another ectopic and my right tube burst on the way to the hospital. This egg was conceived via artificial insemination. This one could have been fatal if I had waited another hour (Hmmm, but I was in the hospital waiting for at least an hour for the x-ray tech to arrive before they could do an ultrasound and confirm it was an ectopic. Despite my moaning and telling them I knew it as an ectopic, they couldn't do a thing until the tech confirmed it). They started with laproscopic surgery, then had to open me up too because I had about 2 liters of blood in me and it had already coagulated. The doctor removed my entire right tube.
I had two hysterosalpingograms (dye tests) for both my tubes after the first and second ectopics, and they could not figure out why I was having them since I had no blockage or scarring of any kind, nor any of the usual causes for it.
At this point, my husband and I decided to do in vitro in order to bypass my tubes. I became pregnant on the first try and had my daughter. I was going to have my left tube removed, but chickened out two days before the surgery in the hopes that we could actually have another child "naturally". My doctor told me that we would just have to monitor me carefully if I even thought I was pregnant.
Eight months after my first child was born, I was pregnant with my second child. I thought for sure it was another ectopic, but an ultrasound confirmed the heartbeat was in my uterus, and 8 months later, I had my boy.
When my children were 6 and 5, I had my fourth ectopic. This time, I had the doctor remove my left tube.
Sorry for the long response, but it is possible for you to have more than one ectopic despite the fact that your tube may be clear when they run tests. It is also possible to conceive and have the egg get to the right place. You just need to make sure your doctor monitors you carefully.
Best of luck!
M.C. answers from San Francisco on April 16, 2008
My daughter recently had a not-so-drastic experience with an ovarian cystectomy and surgery that cut the entire length of the fallopian tube to release extensive fluid. She is at risk for ectopic pregnancy on that side.
Because we alternate the side with ovulate every month, I would suggest trying to get pregnant when you ovulate on the left side.
With your situation (and my daughter's) you now have the benefit [sigh] of knowing what side you are ovulating from. Most of us don't have a clue.
Good luck, and may God be with you during this process.
L.L. answers from San Francisco on April 16, 2008
My procedures were not exactly like yours, but maybe telling you mine experience may help. 21 years ago I found out I had an ectopic pregnancy when I had severe lower abdominal pain, and found out I was pregnant and it was in my fallopian tube and about to burst. So I had emergency surgery where they cut open my stomach, my tube was blocked but don't remember them saying they had to cut off a piece of it. Then 6 months later, I had a positive pregancy test, went to doctor to see if it was a viable pregnancy or in tube, and yes it was another tubal pregnancy, but it was in the other tube this time. Operating procedure was the same. So after I recovered I went and had laproscopic test on fallopian tubes, and results said both tubes were blocked by scar tissue.
Consulted with my doctor about results and he told me that I would never be able to have a baby naturally. I asked him if there was any chance at all, and he said he didn't want to say positively no chance, but less that a 5% chance.
Well, one year later after my periods being very inconsistent because of the 2 surgeries, I started feeling different, and went for a pregnancy test, positive again, asked doctor to check if in right place this time. She came back with "oh it's in the right place, baby is in the uterus, about 4 months along, would you like to hear the heartbeat! So yes, I have a 20 year old son that I delivered naturally and was a true blessing, considering condition of my tubes. But God had plans for me that doctors didn't believe could happen.
One thing I would ask is for doctors to test condition of other fallopian tube. And if you ever think you may be pregnant, definitely go right away to see it's in the tube or uterus right away before it burst.
Hoping my story helps.
A.T. answers from San Francisco on April 16, 2008
I'm sorry for your loss. I also had an ectopic pregnancy rupture, and I know it is a frightening, painful and sad experience. It sounds like mine was not bad as yours, as I had laporascopic surgery and it was near the end og my tube so it did not have to be removed or detached from my uterus.
That was in Nov of '05, and I'm holding my 6 month old little girl as I type this. So yes, you can have children after. My doctor said there was an increased chance of a repeat ectopic pregnancy after having one. I believe she said I had an 85% chance of a normal, healthy pregnancy, and a 15% chance of repeat. (Normal population chance of ectopic pregnancy, if I remember correctly, is 2%). We were fortunate and fell in the 85% of the statistics, and I was lucky enough to concieve as soon as my Dr felt it was safe to do so. My mother-in-law also had an ectopic pregnancy, and then had a child after recovery. In her case, she had a surgery more like yours, although I do not know if her uterus was involved.
My Doctor was very much on top of my pregnancy after the ectopic to make sure everything was going the way it was supposed to. She saw me immediately when I had a positive home pregnancy test (the next day), and had me do blood draws every other day to track my HCG levels and ensure they were increasing at the correct rate, and we did weekly ultrasounds until she was able to confirm a pregnancy in the uterus (around 5 to 6 weeks).
With that kind of care, I felt confidant that we would catch a repeat ectopic pregnancy before it ruptured. And, I'm sure you'll be more sensitive to any kind of discomfort as I was. I had one "emergency" appointment, when I had severe pain in the middle of the night, and saw my Dr the next morning to get an ultrasound and see that everything was fine.
I wish you luck, and hope you have a new baby to love in the near future.
T.R. answers from San Francisco on April 16, 2008
I had the same thing almost 14 years ago. My tube did rupture and my OB Dr. Hamilton said he repaired my tube.5 months later I got pregnant. She was my 3rd and final I thought and now I have my 4th who is 2 years old! So yes it is very possible! Best of luck to you!!!