Stay at Home Mom with 5 1/2 Mth Old Wants to Continue Working Out But...

I am hesitant to take my son to the daycare at the gym. There are lots of older children and not enough supervision in my gyms daycare. This scares me and he's so young. I have had a sitter come over in the past and watch baby while husband worked from home, but when he is out of town there is no one. I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight and I want to continue working out, my mind needs it. I have also tried Stroller strides, but I do not get a workout, not intense enough. I need some ideas. Could you guys help me out? Thanks so much!

Try fityummymummy.com

It shows you how to lose weight, get fit, and feel great,working out from home in only 90 minutes a week.

As a former work out 'class' junkie this was hard to believe, but I'm thinner now than when I met my hubby 14 years ago. It really works!

Try Baby Boot Camp instead of Stroller Strides. Same idea, but usually a much more intense workout.

Can you work out super early in the morning while everyone else is asleep? I get to the gym at 5:00 a.m. when they open and am home by 6:30. Everyone is still asleep--including hubby! I get my very important "me" time and a great start to my day!!

Try fityummymummy.com

I feel your pain. I won't take my baby to the gym daycare either and she's 10 months old. I don't feel comfortable having some teenager whom I don't know watch my baby so I can do something for myself. So, here's what I do...

- Wait til my husband gets home from work so he can watch her and I run to the gym for an hour (gives my mind a break and gives me the time I need to work on myself without having to worry about my little one.)

- I have a gym at home. I have a treadmill and some free weights at home so a few days a week, while she's napping, I'll go upstairs and lift. There's also a LOT of kalesthenic work you can do. Try these workouts: http://www.shape.com/workouts/routines/

- we also take lots of walks during the day. Walking for an hour at a rigorous pace will help you a lot, it'll get both of you out in the fresh air and it'll be a nice way to get out of the house.

- if nothing else, while your baby is playing on the floor or in the playpen, do some pushups, situps, squats, whatever. Your baby is at the perfect age to "help" you with your workout. You can do squats and lunges while holding him and there's a whole host of ab workouts you can do with your baby. Check out this page for some ideas: http://www.fun-baby-games-online.com/exercises-for-mom-an...

Kudos to you for making exercise a priority. Good luck!

H.

Dear L.--

How about something fun like martial arts training-- great for fitness, fun AND self defense-- we hae a great playroom with security camera for the kids while you train

Vision Martial Arts

###-###-####

I echo AndreaR. I work out to DVDs at home and you will be amazed at the workout you can get. The Firm and Jeri Love are my 2 favorites as well. (The Firm has loads and loads of vidoes, Jari Love is more recent and has only a few but they are excellent!). I fill in with some cardio at the gym as well, but if you're coordinated (which I'm not) you can do step aerobics for your cardio and some weight training videos for resistance/strength. Go to collagevideo.com as she said. Buy the basic step bench and some free weights and start feeling great. No kidding.

I would bet there are other mothers in your position. Maybe you could solicit each others help. You guys could take turns watching the kids, which would give you each an opportunity to have adequate child care and your much needed work out time.

Have the 14 year old watch the 5 1/2 month old for a couple of hours; no longer than two hours at a stretch. Pay this sitter minimum wage salary.

I also love working out (it keeps me sane). I just joined Cooper Fitness in Craig Ranch primarily because of their outstanding child care (and they only charge $9 month!). I only leave my little girl in for 1.5 hrs max (they allow you 3 hrs and did I mention they have a wonderful spa!). They have a separate room for infants that has a door so all the other children can play elsewhere. I asked LOTS of questions like: how often do you wash the swing inserts, does everyone wash their hands, do you sanitize, do you allow sick babies or older children to come in. I felt much better after asking questions. I also do a mommy and baby yoga class at Cooper that is a blast and my daughter loves it! For me it just boiled down to finding the right gym that could accommodate all our needs. I love working out and it gives me the energy to be a better mama! Hope this helps somewhat -

A couple of workout videos I really like to use at home are from www.beachbody.com. They are Slim in 6 and P90 workouts. They are both excellent and will keep you in shape probably better than going to the gym. I also have Turbo Jam and it is really good, but it is hard for me to learn the steps. It might be right up your alley. Check it out. They are the best workout videos I've ever seen.

1 / 3