Sprain or Break??

So i have never broke a bone or sprained anything before so im not sure what i did. I tripped over the dog last night and rolled my ankle. I hear a cracking sound but not sure what that was. My ankle/foot did NOT swell, and it is not bruised, but it sure does hurt to walk. I am limping everywhere. I plan to go to the dr next week if it is not feeling better, but was wondering a few things:
Is it true your foot would swell if it was broken? I dont think it is broken but im not sure.
are you able to walk normal if you sprain your ankle or is it very painful?
If you just crack a bone does it heal on its own or do you need a boot or a cast put on it?
Im just not sure how serious this could be and i know i wont know untill i get to a dr, but thought id get some opinions. Thanks!!

Thanks everyone for your stories and advice!! I took a couple ibproferine, and by sat morn it was feeling a bit better. I wraped most of the day and yesterday i could almost walk normal. It still hurts to move from side to side but it is so much better than it was on friday. I think i will wait on the dr for now since it seems to be getting a lot better. Thinking maybe i just pulled some muscles? Not sure but i think it will be ok. Thanks again!!

I broke a bone in my elbow and the swelling was so minimal, only the doctor could tell.

I rolled my ankle a few months ago, and I went to the walmart and got a little ankle brace, which helped, especially at night, and it felt better after a week. IF you're limping that bad, though, you might want to go to the doctor.

Take it from someone who's broken/sprained her ankles countless times... sounds like a bad sprain. Wrap it in an ace bandage and even though it's not swollen, keep it elevated and ice it. Stay off of it as much as possible. If it was broken, even a hairline fracture, you'd know it. It would be impossible to put weight on, horribly bruised, and extremely swollen. Sprains are awful too; nothing you can do except give it time to heal. As always, double check with a doctor. I went for xrays once because I was sure I had broken 2 toes (usually I wouldn't have gone, but 4 days later the pain was intolerable)... turns out I had broken 3 toes, 2 of the long bones in my foot, AND refractured my ankle. Um... ouch. Hope it feels better soon!!

I have had sprains, strains, & breaks. It sounds like you might have a minor sprain & they will definitely be tender for a while. My ankle swelled a good bit when I sprained it, but it got HUGE when I broke it several years later. That doesn't mean you don't have a hairline fracture, it's definitely possible. If it's still really painful next week you should go get it checked out.

sounds like a pulled ligament, a spain or break would swell, and despite popular belief it is pretty tough to actually break ur ankle

Ankles are a tough call - sprains are more common but with all kinds of small bones you never know. Since you said you 'rolled' your ankle, I'd be inclined to think it was a sprain but I'm not a doctor so don't listen to me!

Your best bet would be to get to your primary care physician so he/she can take a look at it and order x-rays to find out what's really going on.

I'm so sorry your ankle is hurting. At this early stage, stay off of it, elevate it, and wrap an ice pack around it. In fact, if you have a bag of frozen peas or corn, use that and an ace bandage to do a compression wrap. If you can, take some over-the-counter NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like Aleve, Advil, Motrin, or Bayer.

Good luck - and go see your doctor soon if it doesn't get better.

I think you should try to get into the doctor's today. If the foot/ankle is sprained, even, and it's painful to walk, you could be doing further damage to it just by walking or standing on it without proper wrapping/support. And if there is a fracture, even a hairline fracture, that is going to be doubly true.

If you can't get to the doctor's, then go to urgent care. You probably need an x-ray to find out exactly what's going on.

In the meantime, alternate cold packs and heat packs (15-20 min per each) for the next 24 hours, and keep it elevated. Take some Tylenol or Motrin (normal dose according to bottle).

I've sprained my ankle before. Sprains can really vary in how bad they are. Mine was swollen and a little black and blue. It was sore to walk on, but I have know several other girls (from gymnastics) with sprains that could not walk on a sprain hardly and several with broken ankles as well that were not walking. If it is not getting better you may want to try getting in today or at least give them a call for their current recommendations on what to do before you go in. Make sure to rest when possible and also to elevate your ankle above your heart and ice for 15-20 minutes at a time. If you can stand it and the ice isn't helping, making a bucket of very icy water and putting your foot in for 10-15 minutes can help too. If you have a call in to your doctor ask them if you should wrap it at all, which can help with stability and compression to make it more comfortable.

Hope you heal quickly.

Usually there is some swelling- broken or sprained or strained. Any discoloration? Usually some bruising is apparent. I'd cold pack it, take some advil or whatever you would normally take for minor pain and give it a few days. Fractures can be dangerous becaue bone marrow can become infected. If you dont feel the pain lessening within 3 days, I'd hit the docs office for their pro opinion. They do make a crackling noise when sprained tho, sort of like popping knuckles.... so that doesnt mean you broke it by hearing that sound ;)

1 / 3