Daughter Hurt Her Ankle

So, we were at my mil's house today and my husbands cousin (adult) was playing tag with my kids in the front yard. I was sitting out there with my sister in law watching. I guess there was a hole in the grass and my daughter didn't see it (I couldn't even see it) and she twisted her ankle in it and fell. She was crying and I sat her down and we put ice on it. Now we are home and I just put her to bed, but she has been complaining of it still hurting her all night. She can walk on it, but she doesn't put all her weight on it. I gave her some tylenol for the pain because she is very allergic to ibuprofen. It is swollen when you compare both ankles, but there is no bruising. Do you think I should just wait it out and have her rest tomorrow and see how she feels and call the dr. on Monday or do you think it would be worth a trip to the ER for an x ray? I sprained my ankle once and I was in horrible pain. I had a removable cast on it too and it still hurt. What should I do?

So, this morning she crawled down the stairs and has been sitting on the couch all morning. I was looking at it and it's still just slightly swollen. My husband got up with her this morning so I haven't seen her try to walk on it yet. Still keeping watch on her, but she hasn't complained that it hurts at all. No plans today, so just waiting to see how she feels. Thanks for asking!!

thanks! She is asleep now. I will see how she does in the morning and if it still hurts her then I will take her in. Her Dr. told us that I should never ever give a child asprin, so I just never have. Her ibuprofen allergy is new to us. We just found out about a month ago. We did in office testing for naproxen and she is fine to have that, but I don't have any children's aleve (sp?). I will have to make sure I get some. She never ever really gets sick, which is why I don't have the aleve (sp?).
Thanks for the advice. I will check on her before I go to bed though just to make sure

If it were an adult, I'd say wait on it. But for a child I'd go have it x-rayed tomorrow, just for peace of mind. You really can't know what is going on without one.

I would rest it and elevate it. If its super swollen they might not be able to see anything on the xray until some of the swelling goes down.

I am glad she is asleep now. Good sign! I. Am going to strongly disagree with those who said ER. ER. Is for life threatening emergencies or for very serious situations where n one would be sleeping at night due pain or illness. I won't be on my soap box too long but part of our medical crisis is due to people not using the ER correctly. Thank you for caring for your child but still being sensible. If she is sleeping well now I would wait until Monday.

Did you wrap it with an Ace bandage? And Ace will help reduce the swelling and support the ankle. Continue to ice it through the Ace. Since this is not life threatening and she is already in bed I would wait until tomorrow to take her in to a doctor. Can she have aspirin or Aleve? Either one of those will also help with inflamation. Tylenol will help with pain but not inflamation.

Sprains hurt and can take a long time to heal. Since she can walk on it I doubt if it's broken but I'm not a doctor just a Martial Arts Mom.

Okay - I'm going to disagree with not going in for the xray if she's in pain. My son twisted his ankle two years ago at a picnic. He put some ice on it for a little while then figured it was just sprained and walked around on it. When we got home, I noticed him not putting full weight on it. It was sore but definitely not very swollen and there wasn't any bruising. I took him to the ER with him complaining the whole way about me over reacting... Yep. Broken. He fractured his growth plate which fortunately for him wasn't as big of a deal because he was already over 6' tall at 15 years old. But he did spend time in a cast while it healed.

Yes, ER's are for emergencies. But a child in pain with a possible broken bone is an emergency. From www.KidsHealth.org:

A broken (fractured) bone requires emergency care. Suspect a possible broken bone if your child heard or felt a bone snap, if your child has difficulty moving the injured part, or if the injured part moves in an unnatural way or is very painful to the touch.

A sprain occurs when the ligaments, which hold bones together, are overstretched and partially torn. Simply overstretching any part of the musculature is called a strain. Sprains and strains generally cause swelling and pain, and there may be bruises around the injured area. Most sprains, after proper medical evaluation, can be treated at home.

I sprain and break my ankles all the time (breaks are preferable, btw, they heal faster... I sprain them 3 or 4 times a year, and break one every couple years... my tendons are all stretched out and torn to bits, nothing short of surgery will correct them, and it's a pretty huge "elective" surgery until I snap one or more all the way).

If she's sleeping, let her sleep. If she's okay tomorrow, stay home (since it's sunday), but if she's in a lot of pain head to the ER.

Appointment on Monday, regardless. If it IS a break (lucky, lucky... and I'm not joking; breaks are 6 weeks, sprains are 3-4 MONTHS)... go with the waterproof cast. Even if you have to call around to find a place that does them.

We don't compromise on health or safety.

Check it out with a Dr. , xray, what if she needs more than a simple ankle brace. Go to a doc in a box and get an xray to make sure it's just a sprain. That's a no brainer for me.

You know your child better than I do.

I'd have mt child checked out if she was in pain and swelling present. Just me.

My brother fell off of a short stone wall when we were kids. My mother, being the nervous type, brought him in for x-rays even though his ankle wasn't swollen and DID NOT hurt him. It turned out that he has a small fracture of the growth bone, (or maybe growth plate), and needed to have a cast. The Dr. said that if it had been left untreated, his leg would not have grown properly and would have been shorter than the other. I would recommend that even if she is not hurting that you have it x-rayed just to be sure.

1 / 3