Spotting 1St Tri. - HCG Levels Rising - No Baby on Ultrasound?!?!?

Hello,

I found out a couple of weeks ago that we are pregnant w/our 3rd baby! We weren't expecting it, but now that we are over the initial shock, we are VERY excited! It's REALLY early, so I've been having blood draws to check my hcg levels and they've been rising adequately - not super high, but still w/in the ranges.

On Thursday I starting spotting/bleeding and then had some cramping so we went in for an u/s yesterday and they couldn't see ANYTHING, but my hcg levels had risen OKAY from the previous day. I'm going in for another blood draw on Monday and we'll have those results later in the afternoon.

I'm still bleeding a little, but have no more cramping and haven't noticed any major blood clots or any tissue being expelled.

I'm just wondering and hoping there is someone out here that has experienced something similar and had a positive outcome? I'm completely FREAKED out that we didn't see anything on the ultrasound - maybe we're just too early yet? We think we might be about 7 weeks? Is is possible for the baby to "hide"?

Trying to stay positive and keep hope that there's a little baby in there and that everything will be okay.

thank you!

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to share with you that we lost our baby. My hormone levels dropped significantly in the last 2 days. I'm so sad, but know god had a different plan for this little soul. I'm so thankful to all of you for being there and for telling me your stories - it means so much to have this group.

I really APPRECIATE your kind words, thoughts and prayers. My heart goes out to you that have lost little ones in the past. I'm humbled by the miracle of life and my children - please remember to give your kids extra hugs and snuggles.

A.

Unless you had a transvaginal ultrasound, you won't see anything until aroun 8-10 weeks. You can see a sac around 4 weeks but only with a transvaginal ultrasound. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. You may be earlier along than than you think. The bleeding could be from a common thing called a subchorionic hemmorhage. I bled at 5 weeks with my first but had a transvaginal ultrasound that detected the baby, the heartbeat, and the hemmorhage. She's a healthy 21 month old now. With this pregnancy, I had a transvaginal ultrasound at 4 weeks (to determine pregnancy). They saw a sac but no baby. My hcg levels were normal (high) so a few weeks later I had another ultrasound that found the baby and the heartbeat. Again, you may be earlier than you think and that's why the ultrasound didn't find the baby! Good luck!!!

I have to say I agree with Beth. I had one miscarriage, then got pregnant again. My HCG levels were rising, bubling like they are 'supposed to'. I went for an ultrasound that showed nothing. I was totally devestated. I just couldn't go through it again (this was after 10 years of infertility). My levels kept rising, but not they way the 'book' says. I went back for one more ultrasound and I can still remember how horrible I felt that day. I wouldn't even look at the screen. I wilo never forget when the tech said theres the heartbeat! Well, my empty ultrasound and non doubling HCG levels is now a very happy and healthy 7 year old!!

Hi there. I have never posted and in fact have not logged on in a long time and something made me look here... Why maybe because I can tell you I understand exactly what you are going through. My husband and I when we first got married we had 3 dd's. I had 2 and he 1. We decided that we would try for a baby. Mainly healthy but thinking that we needed to have a son as we were had 3 girls. So we ttc (try to conceive) for 8 months and we finally got our BFP (big fat positive) We were so happy. Then I started spotting and went to the ER and they did an u/s(ultrasound) and there was nothing but a sac - a deteriorating one at that. The ER Dr said that I was NOT pg... I was angry and hurt as I had been to the dr and they had told me I was pg and I had aan exam too. After talking to my dr I was told it was a blighted ovum. I did a lot of searching and here are are 2 links that will help you.

The 1st is an updated informational page from a woman (Lindy that had started a support group online and I found out exactly what had happened. I was relieved that I was not alone and that someone else had been through what I had.

http://blightedovum.kokopuff.net/blightedovum.html

Next is the support group that has a lot more information. The women there were my saving grace as I was quite a basket case.

http://blightedovum.proboards46.com/index.cgi?

I am so sorry that you are going through this uncertain time. I hope that you are just early and they are unablt to see the baby yet. Usually w/ a transvaginal u/s there should be a fetal pole @ 5 weeks and by 6 - 7 weeks there should be a heartbeat.

I will check back to see how things are doing.

((((Big hugs))))

Ok let me tell you my story which still baffles doctors to this day.

I had a ultrasound early I wanna say somewhere around 5 weeks pregnant it was confirm pregnancy and they saw the yolk sac etc...

I went back in about 2 weeks later (about 7weeks prego) and they couldn't find ANYTHING, sent me to another doctor across town. I had 3 ultrasounds on this one day and they finally told me I miscarried, they couldn't find anything and told me what to expect and sent me on my way. Crushed, devasted and depressed I went. I never bled, nothing came out of me I started freaking out and getting really grossed out that there could be a dead baby in me. I switched clinics and told my new doctor I had miscarried and nothing came out thinking I'd need a D&C. This doctor drew blood and sent me for another ultrasound. At this ultrasound the technician asked why I was there and when I told her she asked me a second time and was looking at me like I was a nutcase. She goes there is your baby and there is the heartbeat. I was like OMG it's alive? She said YES.

This was 7 years ago. Now I'm currently prego with #2 due in October and I am arguing back and forth with my doctor my due date. They say according to ultrasound I'm so far along, I say I know my body and my last period I'm this far along. They say ultrasounds are extremely accurate in the first part of the first trimester so they're right. I say hey I've had utlrasounds be wrong before I'm right. LOL... it's like whatever I know I'm right.

So I donot trust ultrasonds 100%.............

I have a neighbor who is about 13 weeks pregnant right now and had heavy bleeding in the beginning with killer cramps then everything was fine and now a few weeks later is spotting again. She keeps having ultrasounds to confirm everything is alright and is still pregnant. She's had nothing but problems this entire time.

Just keep your hopes up and try not to worry. Keep going in for blood work.

I have a beautiful 6.5 year old daughter who is my miracle I guess she was hiding or something it's really weird. Some people think maybe prehaps I was having twins and lost one or she was hiding. I dunno and never will. I hope that makes you feel better and I will pray for you.

I had the exact same thing happen the first time I got pregnant. I wish I could tell you that it all worked out fine. My hormone levels increased also and they found nothing in my uterus as well. Where they did find it was in my tube. I had an ectopic pregnacy. The way the found it was by using the vaginal ultrasound. I had emergency surgery that day to have it removed. I did not lose my tube, and that is wonderful and all was fine. I have wonderful 7 yr. old twin boys! I'll keep you in my thoughts and hope for the best.

I know several people who have been told that they had a "blighted ovum" or that the baby was gone and they should just go ahead and do a D&C and get it over with. Three of them refused the D&C and went on to have healthy, full term babies!! Imagine if they had taken their doctor's advice, they would have had an abortion unknowingly!
Many women bleed, spot, or even bleed a LOT, and there is nothing wrong with the baby. It happened to me with my 4th. I bled so badly, I went right through my pants! He is almost 13 years old now.
Being dehydrated can cause bleeding, that was my problem. Sometimes a dry vaginal area can cause bleeding. Any number of things that don't affect the pregnancy, even.

Try drinking a lot of water and abstain from intercourse for awhile. Try not to worry, whatever the course, it will come to what it comes to no matter how much you worry.

I had less bleeding one time and had a miscarriage. You just don't know. But I learned so much from it. I learned to trust God with my family size, He is the giver of life, not me. I learned what other women are going through when they lose a child, empathy. I learned to be thankful for all my children, by the grace of God I have them! I could as easily have not been able to have children.

Lots of water, lots of rest!

For my second child, I actually thought I was getting my period, cramping, bleeding, but was actually pregnant, and it was an implantation bleed.

For my third, I took a pg test, it came out positive, and then I started to cramp and bleed, then just bleed. We went in for an ultrasound, and they thought they saw an yolk sac, but I was looking 3 weeks behind where I should be. My dr said it was probably an incomplete miscarriage, and we would wait to see if I miscarried completely, wait two weeks. In that time frame, I felt more pregnant, the bleeding stopped and when we went in for our next ultrasound two weeks later, there he was, now only measuring 1 week behind. Because we had not really been trying, and I had not paid attention, I had miscalculated my ovulation date.
Now I have one of the most precious, healthy happy boys around, truly my gift from God!
My prayers are with you, and I know it seems really difficult right now, but I can tell you, after having a miscarriage, and some very high risk pregnancies, the Lord has provided me with the children I was meant to have, and now, I could not imagine it any other way.

A.;)

Well, A., I'm just going to tell you what happened to me when I had very similar syptoms as you. I'm sorry it's not good news but everyone was fine in the end and I ended up getting pregnant again soon and had a healthy beautiful baby boy. Anyway, I can't remember what it's called, but my body thought I was pregnant so it made all the hormones and got ready to carry a fetus, but something had gone wrong in the very early stages of it and a baby never formed. I had an ultrasound and, like you, nothing showed up. So, I had had a miscarraige of sorts that involved bleeding and some mild pain. I did not need a D&C and I went right back to "normal." I wish you the best of luck and I hope my story, although it's not the ending you were looking for, helps you get through your difficult time. Happy Mother's Day.

it probably is too early to see the baby. 6 weeks is the earliest to see anything. you didn't say whether they saw a sac or not. i had spotting with my second pregnancy and had a healthy daughter and also with my third with the same outcome. the doctor couldn't explain the spotting, but attributed it to the cervix and the number of pregnancies. i believe there is still hope. just be patient and don't make any rash decisions. i think it is a good sign that the hcg levels are going up. hopefully you will see your baby on the next ultrasound. good luck!
~S.

First of all, I know how hard those first few weeks are. I was paranoid too and felt like I had lost symptoms so I went in to get checked. I was right around 6-7 weeks. They saw a sac but not a baby or fetal pole or anything else. The midwife said it could be too early to see anything or it could be a start of a miscarriage. I worried like crazy for the next week and half and went in for another ultrasound at 8.5 weeks andlow and behold, there was a little heartbeat and I finally had confimation and relief. As you know, there is such extensive growth that happens in those first few days that you could not see something one day and then see it the next. I now have a beautiful 4 month old little girl. Since your HCG results are still normal, I hope you can go in again for another ultrasound and see that beautiful little heart beat in another week or two. Good luck! B.

1 / 3