Son-In-Law Wants to Claim "Single" on Income Tax Return!!!

My son-in-law stated this past weekend that he wanted to still claim "Single" on his income taxes! I have been wondering why ever since! He has been the most "untruthful" person that I have ever met and I always feel like there is an ulterior motive every time he says something! I cannot for the life of me figure out why he would want to claim single....they are married and have a baby. UGH! Any thoughts? Thanks ladies!

Thanks a bunch for all the advice! The following info is why I asked this question. He has lied about every important thing since they got together and I have trust issues and MIL issues! How do you entrust your most precious daughter to a ...? Honestly, I have stayed in the background and kept my thoughts and feelings to myself or only expressed them to my husband! my SIL's mother inadvertently let it slip in an email to me that he was married before about a month before my daughter was due to give birth! I have never been able to prove that he is divorced, even have a certified letter from the state that no divorce was registered through their office! It turns out that he was on two different dating sites talking (unbeknownst to him) with one of my daughter's sorority sisters all summer talking about...well, just about everthing! We were shocked when she contacted us with this info after discovering that he was our daughter's husband! Anyways, after his comment about the taxes, I turned to you all and did some checking on my own. He has never changed his address (ever!) from his parents home, so I advised my daugher that she should file "married, filing separate" and claim the baby. My daugher is a teacher so she has her own income and has not merged any insurance or banking with her husband (my husband's advice to his precious daughter!). We are weathering the drama from as far away as we can and keeping our thoughts to ourselves. We love our new grandchild and want to be as supportive as possible. Thank you everyone for your support, as you have always given me great advice!

He probably wants to claim single b/c they are in a higher tax bracket if they are married (assuming she works?) But he's only allowed to claim Married-filing jointly or Married-Filing Separately.

I would warn him not to mess with the IRS. They don't play games!

he can claim married filing separately.

Then they need to find out who is going to claim the baby. There are benefits to doing this. However, it must be agreed to by both parties.

Honestly there is nothing wrong with it and can actually benefit your SIL family. It means they will be getting a much larger tax refund when they file. My husband actually has been listed as single on his W-4 since we were married over 5 years ago. We have two beautiful children. We also get one heck of a tax refund each year. This year we purchased a house and are now considering changing the withholding to at least married to give us a little more money in each pay check to cover our slightly larger bill load. It's not deceptive or devious in any way nor is it a way for him to come off as being single since the only people who see this are his HR at work and the IRS.

Not sure why since it is generally more beneficial to claim married and as many dependants as possible. BUT, my husband claims Single, zero dependants on his paychecks so that when it comes tax time, he claims the real Married, 3 dependants so we get a MASSIVE return. If he were to claim Married, 3 during the year we would owe money.

This is totally legal. I have friends that do this. For tax purposes, sometimes it is better for married couples to file independently and file as single. I know it sounds untruthful, but it's not truly saying you ARE single, it's saying you are FILING singley.

Well, when it comes to income taxes, there is the "marriage penalty", meaning you end up paying a higher tax rate because your incomes are stacked together. This may be the reason, but not knowing your son-in-law, I can't tell you that for sure. Is he planning to claim the baby as his dependent or letting your daughter claim him/her? Does your daughter work outside the home?

I don't know why he's doing this, but it is likely due to the higher tax rate. Sorry he's a shady character. :-(

He can claim single for his withholdings on his W-4 which lots of people do to be sure they don't owe. When filing taxes he can only claim married filing joint or married filing seperate (assuming they are married) There are different benifits to each of those. I wouldn't consider his tax status as any kind of motive other than to file the best for him & his family.

You can't claim "single", you can file "Married filing seperately". No, can't figure out why #1 He'd want to claim single and #2 why he'd tell you.
Tell your daughter to go to taxact.com and do her tax return, she can compare filing "married" to filing "married filing seperately" and its all free. You pay nothing until you push the "efile" button at the end and even then its very cheap.
That way she can figure out for herself if there's a financial benefit, that will also open up a conversation between her and her husband to find out what he's thinking.

It may be to their benefit to do it. He may be able to take more deductions and get more $$ back. We've looked at that every year that DH and I have been married. With our jobs, we still come out better claiming as married. But I know others where that is not the case.

I wouldn't panic.

1 / 3