Smoking and Breastfeeding

I know it's terrible, but I never quit smoking during my pregnancy. I need to decide if I'm going to breastfeed. I assume that it's not a good idea since I know I'm going to continue smoking once my baby is born. There is info that I have read stating that I should breastfeed because the benefits outway the consequeces. What are your thoughts?

Thanks to those of you who answered my question rather than telling me all the risks. I know I set myself up for the attack, but some of you were very helpful. Thanks.

Wow K.! You must have a lot of guts to put that on a website like this. So, my question is, why wouldn't you be selfless enough for the little life you've created? Your baby has no means of escaping your smoking. Yes, for the respiratory problems your child will end up having, breastfeeding may be your child's best defense. My mother-in-law smokes and did with all three of her children. They all have asthma as adults and have had problems their entire lives. I am an ex-smoker as well. I smoked for fifteen years but the benefit for the little being inside me far outweighed the small sacrafice I had to make. I nursed after my child was born and therefore, didn't choose to smoke again. My daughter needs me and will need me in her life in the future as well. So, yes, I'm telling you all the things you already know but having been there and as a voice for your little person I will say what others are too polite to-
stop being so selfish and -QUIT SMOKING!

K.,

I am sorry you are getting so much crap for your question. You should be commended for your honesty! I should have put my response up here instead of in a message, you are braver than I!

As for you other Mom's, if you can't answer her question without judgement and spouting of smoking hazards, then don't answer! We all know the risks of smoking on ourselves and our children. It is an addiction and a personal choice. Now be supportive or stop!

Thank you! Hope you have a great day K.!

K.:

it is still better for you and the baby for you to breastfeed than not.

P., RLC, IBCLC, CST
Board Certified Lactation Consultant
Breastfeeding and Parenting Solutions.

I do not think that all you mothers being so judgemental are doing any good. At least K. is being honest. No one is perfect, so lets try to be positive and help eachother.

WOW, Mary I agree. I cant believe the crap other moms give to moms, geez. K., I never bf so I cant do much for your original q, BUT I have known babies that died of SIDS and the mothers never smoked while preggo or after, AND I have known many moms that smoke the whole pregnancy and after and didnt have preemies, infact their children are very healthy and intelligent. I also know people that had extremely premature babies and they also never smoked. I think its ridiculus for moms to make the comments that some of you made on here, she didnt ask why or should she quit smoking.

I would recommend breastfeeding. I'm not a dr, but I cannot imagine that breastfeeding while smoking would do anymore damage than smoking while being pregnant, as I'd assume an unborn baby is more delicate & susceptible to outside dangers than a newborn. Good luck, and of course I recommend quitting smoking, at least temporarily. I won't lecture you, but I think you need to put your baby's needs & health ahead of your own (sorry to say, selfish) desires. I wish you & your baby the best.

I think that breastfeeding is the least of your concerns. I think you are brave to be so honest, but seriously, SIDS and asthma are much bigger risk than the precious antibodies you will give through breastfeeding. Your best bet is to stop smoking now. Good luck. I know many people who have quit cold turkey. It can be done!

I've never smoked, but I did breastfeed 4 kids for at least a year each, so I have a few tips about breastfeeding (which I hope you're already doing by now!)
1) Make sure you get enough liquids/fluids AND rest! If you don't get enough of either one, your milk supply will dwindle.
2) Realize that your baby will take growth spurts every so often, and your baby will seem to want to nurse every few minutes. This doesn't mean that 'you are starving him/her'. It just means that s/he needs more milk that s/he HAS been getting. When they nurse a lot one day, the next day your body makes so much milk it hurts! That's nature's (God's) awesome way of meeting 'supply and demand'; not something to worry about!
3) Surround yourself with other gals (older and younger) who support breastfeeding. Everyone has an opinion, but it's definitely best for baby and for your own body.
4) Breastfeeding is a wonderful excuse to eat as much as you want (not to OVER-eat, but it keeps you hungry more than if you WEREN'T breastfeeding a baby!)
Best of luck and God bless!

1 / 3