Smoking and Breastfeeding

Hi Moms,

I'm having a hard time staying away from cigarettes. I was a smoker until I got pregnant, and then quit cold turkey. It wasn't hard for me then as I had the great motivation of my baby. But now that she is no longer actually inside of me, I find that I have slipped 3 times and she is only 7 weeks old.

I do not want to become a smoker again. I am breastfeeding, and especially do not want to harm my child. But, the addiction is creeping back in, and I need help. I would appreciate any good facts about smoking and breastfeeding to discourage me, and any support system would be great. I'm not even sure what I need, but I do NOT want to go back to this.

Please help!

I just wanted to say congrats on the birth of your baby and also good for you for reaching out to this site. I think the very act of doing so was an act of love for your baby because I can tell by reading your post that you don't want to be a smoker. You control your destiny on the decisions that you make for your health and without even knowing you I feel like you already know that you have made the decision to resist the tempation to pick up an old habit. I am a former smoker and honestly, if it weren't harmful to my health and those around me I'd still be lighting up. One thing that helps me stay away is telling meself that when I'm 75 I shall start again and I will sip mimosas on my porch and smoke to my heart's desire. Hopefully science will have created a "safe" cigarette by then!

I totally know what you are going through as my dd is 5 months old and about a month ago I started smoking again after quitting cold turkey when I was pregnant. I am also breatfeeding and as a result of my starting to smoke my daughter stopped sleeping through the night and became aggitated and fussy throughout the day. I went to my peditrician and they told me that she was somewhat adddicted to the nicotine and that I needed to stop now and everything would go back to the way it was. She still isnt sleeping through the night again(she got used to nursing through the night and now wants to every night) but she is not fussy anymore and is back to being the happy baby she used to be. After they told me that I stopped smoking and never looked back knowing that it was still directly harming daughter as it would have in utero made me instantly want to stop. I know its easier said then done but you can do it!!! Good luck!!!

I am not a smoker but I have close family members who are and I did a lot of research when I had my first. If my relatives wanted to come over and visit, I asked that they didn't smoke before they came over because if there is a smell of smoke in their clothes the baby can inhale it and it is still harmful.
That is great that you quit while you were pregnant! Now just try and keep it up!!

I'm not and never have been a smoker, so while I can sit here and make suggestions I do realize that it is easier said than done. My mom was a smoker for 20 years and just up and quit cold turkey one day. 20 years after she quit, she still died of lung cancer that managed to spread to the bones, the lymph nodes, then everywhere else. It was HORRIBLE to witness her death.

I think it is wonderful that you acknowledge that you have a problem. Many people think that concept is harsh, but I'm sorry...smoking is a problem and an addiction. Fortunately for you, you realize that you need to take care of it. If you can't do it for your own health then do it for the sake of the baby.

You need to make a choice as to what is more important - giving your child the best possible chance to grow up healthy or giving in to your craving and addiction. Even if you chose not to breastfeed your baby and went to formula, you are still potentially poisoning your child by smoking around her. Second-hand smoke is just as dangerous and at least when you smoke, you get a filter - your baby does not.

Right now, you are putting your child at risk for SIDS and disrupted sleep patterns (so important they get their sleep for proper growth and development). There are also studies that indicate that children of parents who smoke potentially have a higher tendency to smoke and use other drugs, particularly marijuana.

There are so many resources out there - American Cancer Society, WebMd, etc. Please find one and get the help you need. Throw away anything related to cigarettes and cigarette smoking (all cigs, lighters, matches, ashtrays, etc.) You will have hard days but you can do it! The next time you light up, think of your beautiful baby's face and ask yourself "Is this really worth it"?

I don't know if your motivation is strong enough but I will give you some very scary facts. Your baby is WAY more likely to die of SIDS if you keep up this habit. Also, allergies, asthma and a slew more of things are connected with smokers, breastfeeding or not. In fact, the milk atleast has the potential to protect your baby but you are infusing it with poison. Why would you do that?! I am being harsh because you asked for the facts. Smoking is a horrible habit, as you are aware of, and it is absolute poison to your baby, in utero or not. I would say, go to your lactation consultant or find one. Go to your doctor and get support for this. Whatever you have to do to protect the life of your child. Good luck and you CAN do this!

Hi, I just quit smoking after smoking for 30 years. It is hard. There is no doubt with that one! When I am having a difficult moment, ( which is what it is, a moment), I literally close my eyes and go through the thoughts of smoking. I take a straw, and I just go through the actions. That seems to get me through it. I also keep a bag of licorice, and gummi bears. Suckers do not work for me, because the whole thing is too intense, and I end up with sores in my mouth. People have suggested carrot sticks and celery sticks, but, that just doesn't fly for me. That doesn't mean it won't work for you. It has been 7 weeks for me, and I just take it day to day. Every morning, I hand my habit over to my higher power, which for me, is GOD, and I promise that for today, I won't smoke. It is difficult, but, if you really want to quit, you can do it!!!

I am an ex-smoker so I can empathize but I quit when I got pregnant with #1.

My older girl has asthma-- it's awful. Terrifying trips to the ER. We've had a hospitalization. We've had fear that you NEVER want to feel.

Here's motivation-- you smoking will increase her risk of asthma. The second hand smoke stays on you and will affect her.

Here's another motivator. Do you want to be around when she has children? Just don't pick up the cigarettes.

My mother is now suffering from emphysema. Awful thing too.

You CAN do this. You now understand what it is like to live with a love that is greater than your own needs. Don't un-do all that work you've done.

I know how hard it is to quit!

Good luck!!

M.,

Most importantly, good for you for realizing how important your choices are on your baby. Smoking around an infant and infants of smoking parents have a higher risk of SIDS. SIDS alone is a scary thought...why do anything that would increase the risk? I know of two mothers that have lost their infants to SIDS and it was the most devasting thing I have heard someone go through. Even if your infant is HELD by someone (an aunt, uncle, friend) that smokes, they will breathe in dangerous second hand smoke from their clothes.

Another poster posted a link to a good website that will give you some information on smoking parents and breastfeeding. Check it out and I'd be willing to bet after reading it while holding your precious little one, the urge to smoke will be less and less. Hell print out some of the stats and dangers and tape it to your bathroom mirror, put it in your purse, post it by your desk along with an adorable picture of your baby.

Good LUCK and make sure you have support from your husband, family and friends to help you get over the idea of smoking.

I truly wish you the best.

Some scary links to check out...
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T105800.asp
http://www.epa.gov/smokefree/
http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/pediatricadvice/a/second_h...

Some quotes from the sites:

Being exposed to someone that smokes, even if they just smoke outside the home, is thought to increase a child's chance of having ear infections, allergies, asthma, wheezing, pneumonia and frequent upper respiratory tract infections.

And infants who are exposed to a caregiver that smokes, or a mother that smoked while she was pregnant, are up to 4 times more likely to die of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).

Exposure to secondhand smoke has been strongly linked with a higher incidence of asthma, respiratory infections (including pneumonia), and ear infections in children. Children exposed to passive smoke are hospitalized more frequently, and have a higher chance of dying from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).

1 / 3