Smelly Towels - Glenview,IL

My towels have an unpleasant smell right out of the dryer. Does anyone know how to prevent this? I've tried changing water temperature, dryer temp, using dryer sheets, and I have a terrific front load washer. Even scented detergent doesn't help, though I prefer no fragrances. Help!

You might want to try putting a cup of hydrogen peroxide in with the wash..... believe it or not this gets EVERYTHING clean. There are about 20 different uses for peroxide that no-one ever knows about..

My mother in law taught me that adding vinegar to a load of wash helps with smells. It works wonders!

add a little bleach about 5 minutes into the wash. Only about 2 capfuls is needed. This should help.

Hello,
I have a front load washer too. I was told by the manufacturer that the smell comes from all the "guck" buildup in the washing maching. There is a new product on the market called Affresh and it works fantastic. Use all three tablets the first time and then one per month after that.

This is a rememdy I learned from my mother. It's safe and cheap!!! PLAIN WHITE VINEGAR!! I buy it by the gallon and keep it in my laundry room. Just add a cup or so to the wash cycle. I have a top loader so I throw it right in when the water is filling with my laundry soap. It's a neutralizer or something because it takes the smell right out AND it also acts as a fabric softener (although I do still use a little softener too cuz I like the smell). Good luck! I feel confident you will have clean smelling towels the next time you try this! I think towels just get musty smelling after a while.

My gmail account has an ad bar that pops up ads that are relevant to what might be in my emails. When I read my Mamasource request email, this ad popped up. There's apparently a lawsuit a-brewing against LG, Whirlpool, and Sears, Roebuck & Co. because of mildew or mold in their front-loading washing machines. Do you own one of those brands? Here's the website. Check that out if you have one of those brands.

http://www.sfmslaw.com/pages/cases.php?id=592

Otherwise, I agree with vinegar or baking soda as a solution to your problem. :)

Do you think it could be from mildew? If I leave my towels in the wash too long before switching over to the dryer they get mildew-y and really smell.
The way to get rid of this smell is to use your regualr detergent and Borax (sold in the detergent section at the grocery store). Re-wash the towels then add baking soda during the rinse cycle. They also sell large boxes of baking soda (arm & hammer) in the detergent section.
My friend gave me this advice after I had left my son's laundry in the wash over the weekend! It smelled so bad!! I have always just used a cup of each, borax and baking soda.

My friend also has fragrance allergies with soaps. She is not bothered by this combination to clean out smells. It leaves your clothes smelling fresh, but not perfume-y.

So I just saw this commercial and they litterally just talked about smelly towels and they now have FEBREEZE for washers

I had a similar issue and the problem was that my husband was putting towels int he hamper when they were wet. Then when I would go to wash them, the smell would never go away. The solution I found was to make sure they were dry before they went in the hamper. I sounds simple, but it resolved the moldy yucky smell issue.

1 / 3