Simply Thick

I've just started adding Simply thick to my daughter's formula-what are some of the side effects others have noticed.

No side effects with my 2 daughters. It worked very well for their acid reflux with they were infants.

HI, My name is A. and I run Texas Cleft Connections www.texascleftconnections.org a support group for families with kids with a cleft condition. My son has a cleft lip and palate and when he was an infant, we had to use Simply Thick because he would asperate on his breast milk. I would love to talk with you about it if you prefer over the phone. just message me and I will give you my number or you can visit our website I listed. We never noticed any side effects from it but there are some tricks to useing it and I know how to get it cheaper.

A. J

My daughter used it as well for several months for severe GERD or reflux. It was a life saver for us. I did not really notice any major side effects but her bowel movements seemed to a little harder to get out. We would just put prune juice in one of her bottles and that solved that problem. We also ordered it online which was much cheaper than buying it in a specialty pharmacy.

Hi T.:

I am a feeding specialist and some of the side effects that I have seen with Simply Thick are the following: gassiness, initial slow-down of stooling, frequent stooling, runny stools, or firmer (not hard) stools. For most patients, the negative side effects are nothing compared to the pre-Simply Thick state. If a child has dysphagia and is on breast milk, Simply Thick is the only thickener that is not broken down by the amylase in breast milk. Products other than Simply Thick (i.e. rice cereal, Thick It) may be used for formula if you are treating reflux or dysphagia. Many parents also increase use of Mylicon to combat the gassiness.

R. Elkin, MOT, OTR/L, CKT
www.infantrefluxdisease.com
"Ask the Experts" message board
co-inventor RES-Q Infant Wedge

My daughter had to use Simply Think in her drinks for several months after her heart transplant. No side affects that I could see and she didn't seem to mind it either. Hope all is well!

Simply Thick was our life saver as well! We had some minor problems with constipation, so we gave 2 oz of prune juice a day as needed and it did the trick. We also found that the Playtex Ventaire bottles worked the best because they let air in the bottom of the bottle and not through the nipple/top. With other bottles, the air mixing from the nipple made the milk frothy and caused some gas problems.

I recently started adding Simply Thick to my daughter's formula as well. I haven't noticed any side effects from it, but it was supposed to keep her from spitting up. She still spits up about once a day. What side effects has your daughter shown?

Has anyone heard anything about the Simply Thick recall. My niece was on the stuff at the NICU at Texas Children's Hospital and she had to have surgery because of necrotizing enterocolitis. I have read numerous articles about an FDA recall warning.

1 / 3