Should I Pin Back My Sons Ears

My son is 6 and is finishing up his first year in kindergarten. I was looking at the yearbook and noticed his ears stick out more than anyone else in his class and possibly the school. He has a big head too so he is proportioned. Im sooo scared that this will lead to teasing. Do I go ahead and pin his ears back now or wait til he ask for it if his ears do become a teasing point. He is gorgeous with his ears and we love them but i dont want him to go through his childhood being teased over something that is fixable like ears. I know ill get a lot of responses that you should teach him to love him for who he is but im sure you all have had braces to fix your not so perfect teeth and if you havent you probably wish you would have. He is a green eyed dimpled handsome fella I just want what is best for him.

All kids get picked on. If you fix his ears, kids will just find something else. I'd wait until he's older and it becomes and issue for him.

I have big ears. I know it is different because I am a girl with long hair but I do wear it up often. When I was younger kids were really cruel to me. Actually one in particular and I have still have not forgiven her.

It is not a big deal at all anymore and I wouldn't have wanted them corrected.

People still pin kids ears? Wow, I thought that stopped back in the 1950's. Let his hair grow a little longer to cover his ears a bit more.

S., don't ask others this question. YOU are his mother. No one here even knows what your son looks like, so no one here is qualified to give you an appropriate opinion. YOU do what feels right to you.

My own son was born with big ears. If he hadn't have "grown into them" by the time he was in school, I would have done it. I didn't need to because he looked normal by that time. But I wouldn't have asked people who have never seen him if I should or shouldn't have.

my sister went to school with a boy who had big ears that stuck out. his parents never did anything about them, and he was popular. by the time he graduated high school, he had grown into his ears, and you never would have known they were big when he was little.

If he isn't teased, and he has no ill thoughts about his ears, then the answer would be no.
When I was young, my mom wanted to pin back my ears. I was never teased about them from my friends so I didn't have a problem with them. I was however, hurt that my mom would think about changing that physical aspect of my body. I kept wondering why she didn't think my ears were good enough for her when everyone else thought they were fine. Luckly it did not scar me and I embrace my monkey ears still to this day. ;)

Now my daughter has the same ears and her doctor suggested that I pin them back. I said no. I want her to be happy with herself and not feel that she has to change herself to look good in someone elses eyes. If she gets teased in school and is so miserable that she wants to have her ears pinned back then we'll talk about it. But only if that happens.

Updated...

He is very cute!! Just to clairify what I wrote. My mom never told me herself that my ears were ugly or too big. But just her action of telling me that she was thinking of making a doctor appointment, gave me the impression that my ears weren't good enough for her. She told me that she didn't want me to be tease.... but I wasn't being teased in the first place. I saw it as a vanity issue in HER mind.. not mine. I was 7 at the time and this is how I saw it. Again... if he does not have a problem with it, neither should you.

I just don't want you to have the same outcome as I did with my mother. After this incident I carried a little resentment towards my mom for years. We had a good relationship, but that little voice in my head still nagged at me for a long time that my mom thought my ears were ugly. Even though she NEVER said that.

I'm gonna need to see a picture before I can answer this.

Your son is absolutely perfect just the way God made him. No need to alter any part of him. Don't live in fear, just teach your child how to handle children that bully others and what being a true friend is all about. That would serve him far better than trying to make his looks conform to anyone else's idea of handsome.

I agree with you that he is a cutie! I would not worry about his ears. They do not stick out unnaturally that it would cause him to be teased....Yes there are instances where kids need to have that surgical procedure done but your son does not look like a candidate.... :)

Take care of your cutie pie. Makes me miss my kids right now sigh....

oh my!! If you pin his ears back I think he will lose some self confidence. You need to reassure him he is gorgeous no matter what. My boys both had huge ears, and they "grew" into them if you know what I mean. They did not get teased either. Only family members remarked "wow, so and so has grandpa's ears!!" Maybe you are worrying more about it than everyone else.

1 / 3