Should I give diluted lemon juice to my infant?

Updated on August 06, 2009
S.N. asks from Eleva, WI

my son likes lemon juice (juice diluted in a water) very much..is it a YES or a NO NO for infants? is it good for the growing teeth of the baby or NOT?

• Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Summary

Infant aren't supposed to have citrus fruits until one year. Citrus is acidic which can be hard on stomachs, the acid in the lemon juice can erode the enamel on your teeth over time, so it might not be a great idea.

Smallavatar

J.S.

answers from Davenport on

S. ,lemon juice staight is NOT good for the teeth. The acid in the juice can erode the enamel on your teeth. As long as it is diluted though he should be fine , just make sure he does not have too much of a good thing. My kids also love lemons and lemon juice. I was a dental assistant for 17 years and we saw a few cases of patients who sucked on lemons and we had to do cosmetic bonding (white fillings) on their front teeth because of the errosion. Good Luck. Mom of 4 wife of 1

S.W.

answers from Minneapolis on

It depends on how "diluted". Citrus is acidic which can be hard on stomachs, also. I would just make sure that it was diluted quite a bit.

I remember that my daughter liked to suck on oranges at about that age. I hadn't heard that kids weren't "supposed to" have oranges until 1 year. It caused no harm.

C.M.

answers from Bismarck on

I've heard that the acid in the lemon juice can erode the enamel on your teeth over time, so it might not be a great idea to let a 7 month old suck a lemon rind often or just drink it! Diluted in water it might not be too bad--I would ask your dentist.

We have a 4 year old who loves to suck a lemon too--we make sure he brushes extra well on those days!

C.O.

answers from Minneapolis on

My kids both love sour. I used to let them suck on lemons/limes every once in a while. I think if you dilute the juice it should be fine.

K.B.

answers from Milwaukee on

Acid in the lemon juice is not good for teeth or stomachs... I guess diluted is ok but I would ask your ped what they suggest if you are concerned about it. I stuck with the rule no juice, not even diluted juice, till a year old.

Next question: Food