Should I Bring My Toddler to a Pop Concert ?

My husband and I have plans to attend an upcoming pop concert. Our 3-year-old daughter is a big fan of this artist,(sings and dance to all his songs). My husband wants to bring our daughter along. This concert takes place on a weekend (Friday and saturday around 8 or 9 p.m.. I'm a little reluctant as she is only 3, and it may look a little "irresponsible" bringing a toddler to a "grown up" concert. What do you all think?

I would like to thank you all, for your responses, they were all very insightful, but,ironically, the concert ended up getting cancelled. Thanks again.

Unless you can get earpugs to protect her hearing, I would not take her. One concert could permanently damage her hearing.

Okay so if you are going to a venue where there is a lawn area that is not to close to the stage or the speakers I think it would be fine. She would be able to play and most people who have not paid an expensive price for the lawn seat don't get to crazy about distractions. Take a blanket and some toys just in case she loses interest. The only thing I would be aware of is if you bring her the concert is no longer about you having a good time its about making the experience the best for her and the two of you. Do it!Have fun! Kids need to be exposed to all types of atmospheres.

I'm sure the tickets cost a lot and I would say the concert would last 2-3 hours. I personally would not take my 3 year old to the concert. Make this a special date night with your husband.

My first reaction is... DONT YOU NEED TIME WITH JUST YOUR HUSBAND??? :) Your daughter might enjoy listening to the CD really loud while dancing around the living room. I would save your money on her ticket and have a great time with your hubby!

Yes...I have a 3 year old as well and I have brought her to many concerts. She loves it. I would suggest ear plugs as the noise can be too much for a youngster. I think exposing your daughter to as much of the arts as possible is a great way to encourage creativity in a child.

Why not get a sitter and make that a date night ith ur hasband? I think it would be fun for the two of u to get out with no worries or a night and having some alone time together. I also think taking a toddler with you u may be more worried about watchng her then u would enjoy the concert ur self. But if it were me...I'd makeit a date time to catch up with just ur husband an u.

I personally wouldn't do it. I know she may love the music, but the nighttime concert really isn't the place for her to be. I would wait until she is older and enjoy the evening out with your husband :) not only would it be way too loud for her, but the atmosphere would not be appropriate. She probably will feel overwhelmed with all the people and darkness and noise. Honestly, do concerts like that even allow toddlers?? not to sound mean, but I think I would be personally concerned if I was at an adult weekend concert and saw a very young child there.

I read an article in the paper just last week about children and concerts. The article says that the sound system is just too loud for children and in one case a child lost hearing in one ear. I would suggest finding a sitter and just the two of you going. You would have much more fun (taking a 3 year old to a concert would be no fun for you or quite possibly the person sitting next to you.) Let her sitter play the music at home and maybe they could have their own "concert" without the damaging sound.

I would say not. It seems from what I've heard there tends be drinking, and smoking of who knows what at some of these concerts. I think three is a litte young to be exposing so much of that, not to mention what the noise could do to her very sensitive ears! Get a sitter and have a fun date night!

I would personally bring her. I have three daughters and we have brought them to many concerts. We just traveled to Chicago for Lollapalooza with our 18 month old, but also brought a babysitter. The only thing to be concerned about is if it is an indoor concert, it might be too loud for little ears. I have done it, but put cotton in my child's ears. I have gotten rude comments like "Your baby is going to be deaf", but I just ignore them and do what I want. My kids all love music.

1 / 3