Short Women Unite! (Under 5 Foot?)

Hello ladies!

I was standing around on work break with a coworker, another female, and I realized just how tall she is and just how short I am. This is obviously not a new realization for me - I haven't grown since I was 14. But sometimes, it can be pretty irritating just how short I am!

While in college, someone asked a friend of mine, "Who is that 15 year old and why is she in the college dinning hall?" -- that was me! And I was 19! Some coworkers mistake me for being 16! I know I'm going to love this when I'm older but it is a bit frustraiting.

More than the age thing though, it's just awkward being short! Can't reach things, pants never fit right, shirts are too long, you don't fit in the drivers seat of the car. I'm 4'10" without shoes. I think my height is due to a congenital disorder but I've never know for sure. Yes women in my family are known to be short but I'm shorter than the most of them by 4 - 5 inches!

Are there any other short women out here? Tips on how to keep our spirits tall? :)

I'm still shopping in Juniors myself... Which for my age (22) it works out alright, but I suppose as I get older petites will work. I've never found a lot I like because it all looks like "old women" clothes to me. Ironic because I LOVE old sweaters, but I have such a peculiar style that most these clothes don't work with it.

Also I have a huge butt and I find that pants made for small people don't take it into consideration! I have a thin waiste but my butt is a big'un.

Wish I had some of those big boobs you guys do :) I was flat chested until I started birth control and they got a bit bigger!

Not short but just remember you could have big boobs too. :)

Sorry its all I have. I hate buying clothes too. :(

Humor ... that's how we get through it ... I was once the shortest, now it's my SIL. Just another Dwarf Clan here!

I am 5'11" and when I come around people of your stature I feel like the jolly green giant. I feel huge and awkward. I am the one that the little old ladies ask to get things off of the shelves because they can't reach them.
I have the same problems you do...just from a different angle.
The grass is always greener!
Laura

AWWW! I'm 5ft 2in, ALWAYS the shorty, and I'm almost uncomfortable with people shorter than me (adults, I mean, not kids), because I'm used to literally 'looking up to people'.

One of my good friends from high school is 4'11"... other than her, I'm almost intimidated by short(er) people ;)

I have full sleeve tattoos, but it never fails: I get carded for EVERYTHING. I get asked for my hall pass if I enter an elementary school during school hours.

Good news: most 'undatable' short guys, are still taller than me :) Unless I wear 5 inch heels ;)

Embrace it! I love being a shorty. My 2 'little' brothers, are both over a foot taller than I am!! They use my shoulders as arm rests.

If you look at some of my old posts, I'm always asking 'can a short person wear a pencil skirt? Skinny jeans?' etc... but yeah, I'm proportionate, just bite sized :)

My department at work seems to attract short women. At one point we had 4 women under 5 feet tall. The funny thing - they were all in positions of power! At 5'3" I was one of the taller women running the department. We used to joke about short but powerful and female Napoleon complexes.

So, little in size, but big in personality and power!

OI come from a long line of short women. My SIL is 5'3 and she's a "giant" in our family! LOL
Truthfully, it has never bothered me.
I'm about 5'1".

Im 5'2.
My mom is 5'3, my younger brother is 5'4, my dad is 5'6, my older brother is 6'4.. he is the giant of the family lol

My 15 yr old is 5'6, my 11 & 12 yr old are 5'0.

I dont mind my shortness most of the time, the holy cow your short! comments is what gets old... you really think that after 34 years I didn't realize that?!?

What I need is some great come backs to the dumb comments!

I'm 4'11", and I teach high school. Students and teachers are telling me all the time that they think I'm a student. I think it's hilarious. I mean really - I'm 41. Are they going to think I'm a student when I'm 60 just because I'm short? ;)

I've always loved being short. I'm very small, too, 95 pounds or so. I do have the big boobs issue that others have mentioned, but I buy minimizing bras, and that helps. My husband is 6'2", and I love our difference in height.

I'm not under 5 feet but I am barely over it and get tired of getting patted on the head by taller people!!! I understand your frustrations and issues with the height. Hang in there!

1 / 3