SELF Magazine Making Fun of Runners in Tutu's

Has anyone else seen this? I'm just spreading the word here because it's so enraging!! I just think everyone should know about it. My PSA for the day. I'll post the article in SWH. Runners and WOMEN, unite!

EDIT: Ok, I guess "enraged" was a bit strong. I'm actually more "annoyed and sad." And I get what you're saying, Shannon, about it going in their cutesy feature section. But cute or not, myth busting or not, putting someone down is never the right thing to do. The caption of the photo read, "A racing tutu epidemic has struck NYC's Central Park, and it's all because people think these froufrou skirts make you run faster, Now, if you told us they made people run from you faster, maybe we would believe it." That's just plain not nice. Even if Momika wasn't battling cancer and raising money for a little girls charity, it's still not nice! No runner out there says she is we earring tutu because it makes her run faster. She's wearing it because it makes her (and sometimes those around her) happy.

And MandA M - haha, well, maybe you're right. Life would be great if we all started to make fun of one another.

PS nightmare for the magazine at this point. She makes them to donate $ to charity and she is dealing with brain cancer and she seems super nice.

I never like women's magazines that have that frenemy tone. I don't like it in people either.

I used to dance (ballet) and I am not offended by folks were in tutus. I think it is fun for them and their choice. Ballerinas are incredibly fit. The tutu might seem to diminish the strength and power that comes from years of training, but I see it as an interesting contrast: brute physical strength and ability and then the softest, most feminine article of clothing you can dream up. I like that. It is interesting.

If I had a daughter who ran I would get her one. My son runs cross-country and one mom made them superhero capes for one of their races. They had a blast.

Oh good lord...really?
Well, I suppose it wouldn't be your average day if someone wasn't totally enraged about something completely innocuous and irrelevant.

Hah! The purpose of this or any magazine is to make money, and fashion-related advertising is surely an important revenue stream. So, up with trendy, high-tech, expensive athletic fashions, and if you have to shame women for wearing something different, hey, why not?

This is why not – embarrassing fallout. But it turns out that it's possibly a good thing! Look at the attention this has brought to Monica Allen's fund-raising tutus! And how many women are snorting at the fashionistas! Gotta love it.

I only wondered how many responses you would you get before someone nixed your outrage as being out of context with a "why-can't-we-all-get-along-and-make-fun-of-each-in-a-group-hug-kind-of-way-since-the-magazine-didn't-mean-anything-rude?" reasoning.

I put myself in the tutu wearing lady's shoes and I can see precisely how and why she was annoyed. Rude's rude. I think it is way overdue for folks to stop making excuses for acting like insensitive clods. No, we can't and won't make everyone happy all the time but this didn't even look like a thinly veiled attempt at acting civilly. When did it become so socially acceptable to trod on each other's feelings?

I don't subscribe or purchase the SELF magazine. I have had it in the past and liked it.

I am surprised they did this... you'd think they would be praising the women and encouraging them...... Wow They royally messed up on this one.

Wow, SELF planted their feet firmly in their mouth with this one...how embarassing.

I didn't think it was SO bad. If I understand correctly they used it not to shame women who run marathons in costume, but as part of their cutesy little "2 truths and a lie" type feature. A section where they have 3 random fitness related stories and only one of them is true. So it went along with one of the "fake" anecdotes about the new trend of running in tutus because it makes one run faster. Just silly, not outright offensive to those in the picture, IMO.

I mean, from the level of outrage, I was expecting it to be a direct insult to the runners pictured, like "Do's and Don'ts of marathon running- don't mock the seriousness of the event by wearing a lame costume".

But I guess I don't blame the lady for automatically assuming that SELF would be using a photo of her running a marathon to glorify her awesome running skills and endurance.

PS why is no one in the ballet world "enraged" that their performance attire is being used in such an irreverent manner by women running marathons????

I've always hated Self Magazine. Now I know I've been right all along. :) Thanks for posting.

1 / 3