Seeking Gift Ideas for Nephew Who Is Leaving for Bootcamp

This request is for Moms or family members of the military. My nephew is leaving for Lackland AFB to start bootcamp in a few weeks. There will be a send off party for him soon. Any ideas on gifts that are nice and practical?

Thanks so much to everyone that responded! I like the idea of creating an address book of the family for him and will also plan to write him and send a care package later. Our family is so proud of his decision and we know that he will excel during his time in the Air Force! Thank you again!

Like others have said, he won't be able to take much. He'll have a list of what he needs, and maybe you can help him get his list together. Other than that, care packages may not be allowed (and he might be lightly punished--pushups and all that--if he gets one). Letters are always welcome, though! The phone/address book is a great idea, and also vitamins aren't bad, if he can have them. He'll be much more flexible after he leaves boot camp, so feel free to send him a gift after graduation or care packages once he gets to tech school (it's still nice to be remembered after basic)!

A stationary set so he can write home. Also add some self addressed stamped envelopes to make it a little easier for him. A pocket calendar would be nice. Its small and doesn't take any space. You can also give him a prepaid calling card. In case he gets a chance to call home.

Icy Hot and ear plugs?

I'm not sure he can take much with him actually. If he's married and/or has children you could give them something like movie tickets or other entertainment since they will have time on their hands and probably short on cash for leisure stuff.

Be sure to let him know that his service is soooo appreciated!

We did a send off party for my brother in law before he left for the Army's basic training. No one brought gifts (though some people brought some alcohol to share at the party).

I agree with previous poster saying to wait to give gifts til he graduates and then give it as a congrats.

My brother in law was just sooo touched that we had a party in honor of him. We also invited his recruiter and several key people who helped guide him to the decision he made to join the Army.

We're actually about to start planning our next send off party for a dear friend who's leaving for the Army in March.

Good luck to your nephew and to the family-it's hard watching them go but they come back sooo strong and considerate and smart.

Phone cards. I know they are not 'nice' but they are practical.

Wait till he graduates. At that point he will know where he is headed next and what he might possibly need then. You never know where you will end up-he could end up in a totally different climate than he is used to(16 years of being a miliatry spouse has taught me this). They pretty much take everything from them and put it in storage while they are training. As for getting off base, that won't happen either till after graduation.

Wait til he graduates. When my son went in, he wasn't allowed anything but the clothes he wore. Good luck to your nephew.

When my husband went to bootcamp, he was only allowed the clothes on his back, and those were shipped home within a day or so. All phone calls home were set up through the military. My husband did really enjoy getting mail and writing letters home. You might buy stamps, writing paper, and envelopes for him, but I'm not even sure that he can have that until later. When my husband was there, they weren't allowed access to email either. Another idea is maybe a giftcard to his favorite restaurant that he can use right before he goes to bootcamp. The food there won't be good, and as I remember it, they weren't even allowed to have sodas.

If it anything like Marine Corps bootcamp; they can take nothing with them but the cloths on their back. I would either give money or give an IOU for when he is able to have things with him. (Camera, flip, money,wallet size pictures,laptop are all ideas)

1 / 3