Going to the Army -Gift Ideas

My cousin has just enlisted in the US Army. We are having a party for him this weekend. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of gifts to give to someone going away to serve our country?

Thank you in advance.

Thank you everyone for such a great response! You all gave me some really great ideas. I appreciate the words of encouragement for my cousin.

There is not a lot of personal space in a barracks so tell everyone to stick to small things that will pack in his locker. One thing that helps a lot are self adressed stamped envelopes and postcards from every one at the party. Postcards are really good because he can just write a short note and do several people in a short time. A small photo album of family and friends...small being the key word. How about "Thank You" cards from everyone in the community! Good luck.

When my brother went off into the Navy we all got together and bought something different for him and put it in a goodie box. One of us bought a football and one of us bought him a basketball. We also bought some different little things like gum, hard candy, movies etc... We also got him an address book and put everyone's information in it for him.

I heard gift calling cards (like AT & T) are really a good gift. Pre addressed envelopes with writing paper are also a good idea.
GL

About two weeks ago the troop from the National Guard at Randol Mill Park in Arlington headed out for Iraq. Our neighborhood had a party for them. They had given us a list of things that they needed. Here is their list.

Personal items:
razors. hand sanitizers, deodorant, lotion, toothpaste, baby powder, etc....in small sizes, thick sox, t-shirts, and pre-paid phone cards

Food:
nuts, candy, gum, mints,crackers, oreos, beef jerky, Girl Scout cookies,pringles. teas, flavors to add to water, microwaveable popcorn, soups, etc.

Others:
Books, crossword puzzles, devotional books and bibles.
Also: small candies and "kid toys" to pass out to kids in the villages.

J. Harrell

I think it would be really cool to put out a request here on Mamasource with an email address where the ladies here could write a quick note of thanks to him for serving his country. I know there are lots of moms here who would be very willing to send you an email with their words of gratitude, encouragement and thanks. Then you could print all of them out and give them to him. Maybe all those good thoughts and well wishes would help him in the tough times ahead.

I went to James Avery and bought my son a Pendant that is a very simple Oblong shaped w/ a cross on front and on the back it says I am with you always. He went to Iraq for 15 months and had it with him the whole time. Good luck.

My oldest son left this summer for the Army and some of the things he got were: A camo Bible, devotional and visa gift cards. Thoses can always be used at anytime and anywhere.

Tell your cousin THANK YOU for choosing to serve.

You might also tell his mom that there is a great website for mom's to go and talk about what is going on in their lives as well as her son's. If this is her first one and she has no dealings with the service they can help. His recruiter should know about it or you can email me.

stationary, postage stamps
gift card - they need to supply their own socks and underwear and personal care items
they are not allowed snacks during basic or use of any type of phones, olny contact is through the u.s postal
regular mail

Your cousin won't be able to take very much with him/her when he/she leaves, so don't get anything big. I would suggest maybe a small purse sized photo album with pictures of family members and addresses (write them on the backs of the pictures) so they can write home. You might even get some stationary and stamps. Also when my brother-in-law went into the Marines, we gave him a small bible that he could carry in his pocket and always have it near.

If he is just going to basic, there is not much he can bring with him if anything at all..He would have been told this when given his orders to report. Please listen to those who are giving that advice..He will be part of his "platoon" and they will have privileges together including phone calls. Gift cards to restaurants will have to wait as they will not be allowed off post at anytime... Give him hugs and voices of love and support because leaving home is hard...He is doing a wonderful service. Be ready to support him on graduation day as his time will go by quicker than you know..

Husband is 20 year retired military, dad is 20+ year retired military, uncle is 20+ year retired military(he was stationed at most basic training posts as that was his job-training new recruits), brother and sister are former military....

1 / 3