Scab on Infant's Head

My little girl has a small scab on her head. She's had it for 3 weeks! I'm only worried because it's been there for so long. Is this normal for an infant to take awhile for a wound to heal (she's 12 weeks)? I'm not sure exactly where it came from. One day it looked like she had milk in her hair, so I started to pick it out, and there was the spot. Should I take her to the doctor or just be patient? Thanks. I'm new at this :)

It could be cradle cap (or tinea capitis?). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cradle_cap

try a little baby oil or vaseline, it may clear up in a while.

S. - my first thought is that of cradle cap. Its from when kids are born and the scalp is growing and 'sheds' skin. Look up on wikipedia - google cradle cap, if this is it. If still worried see you Dr.

It sounds likes Cradle Cap to me. Alot of infants get it. You can putting baby oil on her hair and gently combing the area alittle everyday. Not to much at once, has her head is sensitive.

I didn't quite understand where the scab is on her head. Is this something she could be picking at and prolonging? Sometimes a scab that won't resolve is a symptom of a skin cancer. Since she is so young, I doubt that she has had the sun exposure necessary, but it might be a good idea to have your pediatrician check it out.

YOu also mentioned milk in hair. Could this be cradle cap? sometimes the skin on a babies head gets flaky and varies in ranges of seriousness.

I would call your ped. Especially since your are going back to work so soon. YOu don't want to leave anything unresolved that might stress you out while your away from your sweet little girl.

Let us know what happens. Babies are incredibly resilient. They are super strong and healthy, until they aren't...then it can get scary fast.

I never wanted to be the hyper helicopter mom that was burdening a pediatricians schedule, but I have always been grateful for following my gut. Better be safe than be sorry.

I would best guess that it is not a scab, but exema.(ie: cradle cap) My children all had it as infants in varying degrees. My oldest lost all of his "birth" baby hair as the exema was healing/removed. The best way to keep on it is to use cetaphil, or eucerine cream. Cetaphil has a body wash and shampoo as well as the cream.
Ol' timers will tell you to use baby oil. This isn't nearly as effective I think.(I tried it) Keeping the "scab" moist with a cream for exema will help in it's healing/removal.
That is my experience with that, I hope it helps. And as always when in doubt, definately talk to your ped. He/she will know for sure what it is and what to do.
Missa

Hi S.-
Take her in. It's obviously bothering you and a scab probably shouldn't be there 3 weeks unless it's constantly being opened from picking.
Either way - that's a vector for more infection.

If it looked like milk, it might be a yeast infection.. or some type of easily treatable fungus.

The longer you leave it, the greater chance of scarring too.

Do what your gut says-keep it clean and dress it so it can't be picked.

About me:
47 yo perfusionist (open heart bypass), wellness coach on the side and mom to super 7yo twin girls.

B. J

It does sound like cradle cap. It is very common. All my kids had it. My youngest, who is two now, has a spot as well. Just leave it alone. My mother-in-law says they used to put baby oil on that. My sister has also used olive oil. Her son is six and has about 2 or 3 spots still. They usually grow out of it. I'm sure it's different for everyone as to how long it takes to grow out of it.

Don't pick at it. Good luck.

I would agree with most of the previous advice. But it could just be a scab from a small scratch or something. My daughter had a scalp monitor on her during devliery and it took about 4 weeks or maybe even more (I can't remember exactly) for it to fall off. I would guess that at her age, she can't reach, you probably are only bathing her a couple times a week at the most, and depending on where it is there may not be much friction on that part of her head so it may just take that long for it to fall off on it's own without being picked at.

That being said, if it's really bothering you, just take her into the pediatrician. Better safe than sorry.

1 / 3