Revision of Circumcision

Has anyone had to have their sons cicumcision revised/redone? Our Dr. originally told us that our son had a "fat pad" which he would eventually outgrow. Well he just had his 2 year appointment and we were informed that he had to have his cicumcison revised. He has so much skin on top that it he has had some infections and will be prone to those in the future. Has anyone had this experience? When did you have it done? How is your little guy doing?

Thanks to all of you for your advice and comments. It is really great to know that you are not alone in what is happening with your child. You have helped to ease my fears and concerns. My little guy has his surgery at the end of August. It is now 3 weeks post op and he is doing great you would never know that he had surgery a few weeks ago. Thanks again!!!!

Hi E., my son had a revision done when he was about 2 1/2 years old. It went really well. He's 9 now and perfectly functioning :)

I remember being glad it was over and relieved not to have to deal with all the infections anymore. Well worth it. Good luck.

Our little guy had it done last March - when he turned 2. Our ped kept telling us it was fine & that "he'd grow into it" - but obviously that was never going to happen - he just had to much skin overlapping & it was re-attaching, etc... It drove my husband crazy. So we made the decision to find a ped urologist & scheduled it. It was out patient (downtown at Children's - they are FANTASTIC THERE) & it went super quick. The recovery is only about a week - super super sensitive to that area. Taking off the bandages was a bit stressful for me - but soaking him in the tub prior worked wonders.... one layer at a time. They didn't do a spinal like the other mom mentioned. They just gave him "happy meds" while we were still with him (made him really floppy & smiley) & then they wheeled him into surgery. I saw him not much more than an hour later in recovery.... They gave him pain meds at the hospital before sending us home (unlike the other mom who had to wait at Walgreen's.... that's awful). So - we were able to get his meds before the hospital meds wore off. Keep him medicated as much as you can for the first day or two (critical healing time) & you'll be fine. We are sooo happy we got this done. It's behind us now & everything is "normal" down there! Good Luck. Don't be to nervous - it's so much easier than I anticipated.

My son was just under 2 when he had a recircum. He had similar problems. We went to Dr. John Houston (Children's Memorial). He is wonderful. Recovery from the surgery is rough, and I'm glad we had it sooner rather than later.

The surgery was done as an outpatient procedure. My only recommendation is to have the pain medicine on-hand before the surgery. After the surgery, they sent me home with my son and a prescription. In the car going home from the surgery, he started to be in bad pain. I went thru Walgreen's drivethru. They told me it would be over an hour to fill the prescription. There is nothing worst than having a small child in pain and not being able to do anything - even an hour. Plus, all the car-seat attachments seem to buckle in the crotch area. Putting him in and out of a carseat for a few weeks was hard.

We did have this same thing happen to us.

My son was born 8 weeks early, so they sent us home without having it done. We had it done in the office at 2 months old by my OB who delivered him. He took off a ton of skin and told me he was affraid to take off any more and that it might need to be revised as he grows by a urologist.

I had the pediatrician look at it too and he also told us our son has a fat pad, that he will grow out of, but that the original circ did not have enough skin taken off. Since his body kept growing, you could tell that there wasn't enough taken off. So he advised us to have it done after his 1st bday. Which we did.

It was an outpatient surgery. They put him under and did the circ. It went completely fine. He was crabby when he came out of surgery and sluggish that day, but the next day was back to normal. Let me tell you, it was not a pretty sight down there though. We had to keep the area clean and put an anti bacterial ointment on it. It looked pretty bad for at least a week, but it didn't slow him down in the least.

I am glad we did it then and didn't wait until he was older. I am pretty sure he won't remember it. He is completely fine and normal now and is 2 1/2.

My son just had this EXACT thing done 6 weeks ago(He turned 2 March 17th). Our "fat pad" story sounds the same as yours :) We went to Christ Hosp and he has to be put under for about 40 minutes which was scary. The other thing they did was give him a very low spinal to make him numb from the waist down! They did this so they could use less anesthesia. That was really scary for us too. Plus, it made it scary for him when he woke up with an IV plus could not move/feel his legs. He could not use his legs the rest of the day. I had no warning of this procedure. So, I wanted to let you know so you could ask about it ahead of time. For me it was one of the scariest parts!
As far as the actual procedure goes he had to get some skin cut and removed around the entire top. So he had stitches around the entire top of his little part :( It was very sensitive for a long time. It has only been in the past week that he has stopped complaining about it. SO, it was sore for about 5 weeks. I also think since it was "protected" by skin for so long, now that it is more out in the open then it has ever been, it was just extra sensitive...although I am no expert on that part :) We double diapered him for a week to protect it. I would always cringe when he was going down the stairs on his belly! Also, we loosened the carseat just a little to get it over the 2 diapers and not squish him too bad.
He is just fine now.
If I had to do it over, I wish I would have known about the spinal part of all this. I would have researched it and possibly even called other Dr's to see if it was what everyone did. The first I heard about it was after they gave him oral med to make him HAPPY and I spoke to the anesthesiologist before they were taking him back to surgery. So, I did not have much time to process it.
If you have any other questions just send me a note.

One of my daycare children had this done around 18 months. Lots of pain meds. The hardest part was keeping him from sitting on hard surfaces and 'playing' like normal.

I can't wait to see your responses! I'm currently going through the same sitituation with my seven month old. My ped said it was a bad job, a portion reattached. My ped gave me a name of urologist to see, but suggested not to have it done until he is one.

My husband had to have his redone because the cap he had did not fully work. I know that they realized this because he would wet up and not in his diaper. He is fine know and that was over 20 years ago. I'm sure that they have come along way since then so your little boy should be fine.

1 / 3