Removing Smoke Smell from Clothing

I recieved a few bags of baby clothing however they have this stale smoke smell to ALL OF THEM! I've washed them two different times already and I can't get the smell to go away. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get the smell gone? I personally can't STAND the smell but they were free and I appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks -- so far I've tried the scented soap, fabric softner & dryer sheets -- didn't help!

Vinegar doesn't work as well as people say it does, but it helps. I used Odo-Ban on my daughter's clothing (you can use that stuff on EVERYTHING!) It's biodegradeable and safe to use around animals and children. It can be bought at some hardware stores and Sams Club. I haven't seen it anywhere else, but it makes everything smell fresh and clean. Just don't use it on windows, it leaves a slight film behind that shows all kinds of fingerprints!!!

Vinager! It seems to get any bad smell out so it should work for smoke. I soak the clothes in vinager and water- I usually use the soak and prewash cycle on my machine. Then wash once or twice (you may have to do twice to get the vinager smell out) with detergent and they should come out smelling fine.

Try this, it works wonders!!:

Soak the clothes in Tri-Enzyme for however 5min-to however long depending on how bad it's set.. with cold-lukewarm water for baby clothes.

Then to be extra sure the smell is out, you can soak them overnight with a scoop of All-Fabric bleach just to be sure.

Then wash it with SA8 laundry detergent. (On warm)

I'm going to sound like a salesperson here.. but these products really do wonders. We had pillowcases that were discolored from "bodysoil" and we tried EVERYTHING to get it out with no luck. Finally I tried doing the above method.. and they are like new again! (They were red checked against a white background.. and it worked without bleeding the colors).

If you are interested in purchasing them, contact me and I can help you out. You can't find them in a store. It's kind of like Mary Kay.. you have to know someone who sells it. And I believe in the products so much that I do that as well.

C. Bolan

Try soaking them for a day in Baby Oxi clean. You may want to repeat ir for two days if it is really bad. Or you could try this stuff I get at Sams Club called Odor Ban

I once received a beatifully knit baby blanket as a gift from a heavy smoker. My suggestion is to try washing with vinegar (about a cup per load) or wash with Febreze. I had to wash the blanket about a dozen times by hand to get the smell out. Good luck!

yep...vinegar...I agree too, only I use it a little differently than the others, I just put about a cup into the wash with the detergent, and not only does it help with the smell, but it acts a little bit like a softener too, so you can use less liquid or sheets. (although this time of year I wouldnt bank on anything!!)

Along with the other suggestion I would add this.....There is a product out there (I think Febreeze makes it) that is supposed to get rid of odors. It is something that you add to the wash with the detergent. I don't remember what it's called (sorry) but I have used it and it does an OK job. I actually have a bag of free clothes that has been sitting in the laundry room until I pick up another bottle of it myself. I found it at my local Pick N Save grocery store in the laundry aisle.

I've always used Febreeze on smoke odors and it works great.

1 / 3