Red and Swollen Eyes

I took my almost 3 year-old daughter to the Doctor earlier this summer because her eyes were red and swollen. I thought it was pink eye, the Dr. said it was an allergy. He had me buy some OTC allergy eye drops which helped. Her eyes are looking that way again and I'm wondering if there's anything I should do (continue to use the drops or maybe take her to an allergist?). She does't have other allergy symptoms.
Thanks in advance.

I personally would try the drops since they worked last time....if they don't do the trick take her back to the Dr. if he has no other suggestions then yes take her to an allergist. My daughter has somewhat of the same dilema except it is dry eyes happens 2-3 times a year I just use normal eye drops and benadryl once a day at bedtime and that does the trick for us.

My daughter had the same problem. They called it allergic shiners. She takes Zyrtec every day now. When she gets older, we can get her tested for allergies. But the doctor said it is pointless to put her through the pain of allergy tests, when they will just tell her she has outdoor allergies and put her back on Zyrtec. She has no other symptoms, so I think it's no big issue.

N.,
I am 28 yo and have had that problem my whole life. People always think that I have black eyes. When my allergies are really acting up, I have had people ask me if my husband hit me. Make-up only covers so much of them. Although that is the only symptom that you see, I can tell you that she has sinus pressure with this. Even if her nose is clear, she has pressure. Her eyes fell swollen as well. I hope that you find something that works for her. I took OTC medicine so much as a child that not much of anything works for me now. Best of luck with this.
Sincerely,

What brand of eye drops did you use? Where they specific to children?

We had the same issue happen with our 3 yr. old (at the time) last year...we had just moved from a brand new neighborhood (with no big trees) to a very established neighborhood (with the biggest trees you've ever seen!). It hit her in spring and in fall - which is the worst time for seasonal allergies/hayfever. So, we took her in to get the prick test for allergies and she is allergic to grass, trees, dogs, cats,...the list goes on and on. The allergist gave us Zyrtec, nasal spray, and eye drops! HA! Try getting the nasal spray and eye drops in a 3 yr. old! However, she seems to do fine with the Zyrtec on an as needed basis. Unfortunately, it means limiting her time outside during this beautiful weather - but it keeps her better! I had the same issues growing up - you are best to find out now and get some prescription meds. Good Luck!

N.,

I dont know for sure what you could do, but getting an expert opinion from an "allergy" doctor would probably help. Some people have Spring time allergies and some Autumn... some might have both??
I have heard good things about Dr. Baptist on 83rd and Metcalf.
Good Luck!! Please let us know what happens!!

This is also allergy time(for some worse than spring), and I would take her to an allergist-Dr Michael Borts is a great one-he is wonderful with children. He has treated me and both of my daughters for several years. I have even seen him interviewed on Ask the Dr on KSDK.

I had the smae problem with my niece she looks like she has two black eyes all the time. The cure for her was to give a dose of claritin and benadryl and it worked well. Maybe that will work that did for her. The doctor called them allergy shiners!

1 / 3