Recovery Time After Episiotomy

I had an episiotomy while delivering my little boy 15 days ago. I still have some pain, itching, and ALOT of burning while urinating. Is this normal after 2 weeks?

I know it takes several weeks to heal completely, but I expected to feel much better after 2 weeks. I like to know how long it took others to heal.

Thanks,

I does take about a month for that to stop. The birth center where I delivered my daughter gave me tucks pads to stick right on the stitches and it worked wonderfully!

Congrats on new little one. I remember it taking at least 2 months before I felt 100%. Those little tucks pads and aloe vera gel were the best.

Did they give you the spray to use? Also the rinse after you go to the bathroom, the warm water that you squirt before you pat dry. You could also sit in a warm bath. It took longer to recover after my third because it was deeper but it did heal. Ask your OB-GYN for some of that healing spray (it's like a first aid spray) and advice on how to help it heal. Good luck!

Hello again :) I didn't have a planned episiotomy but when chubby Milan enterned the world she managed to tear up mommy. I had pain for the first few days for which I took Motrin then I had burning and discomfort for a couple of weeks or so then it gradually went away. Everything should completely heal by your 6 week check up appt. If your pain is pretty bad give your dr a call, he might want to see you sooner just in case :)

I would say that it I felt a little better after two full weeks. The pads, the spray, and using the peri bottle with warm water really helped. It was about a month before I was pretty comfortable. By my six week checkup, I was fine.

Congrats on your new baby boy!

i didnt have an episiotomy because i tore pretty bad before one could get done. but i was feeling pretty good to go in 2 weeks then i made the mistake of trying to be intemate with my hubby (big mistake) so that added a few more days to my healing. i didnt have any pain at all after the swelling went down in like 2 days. good things that helped me were not wipeing when i used the restroom but patting instead and using those lil suirt bottles they give you and a lot of my friends used tucks pads because they cool and calm the itch... just give your body time to recoupe its self.

My doctor told me to put the tucks in the freezer. I really helped. Also, I had burning and went to the doctor and it was because I wasn't drinking enough water.

I had one after my second baby and it took about 2 weeks to heal. I used the peri bottle to rinse with warm water after using the bathroom, Tucks pads and the topical first aid spray (I think it was called Dermaplast). It also helps to try not to sit directly on it for too long during the day. Shift your positions to keep the pressure off of the area.

Good luck and congrats!

I didn't have an episiotomy, but I tore with the birth of both of my sons, so I feel your pain! It took over 2 months for my stitches to heal completely. The other moms have given some great advise, but I did want to add that even though it is uncomfortable to urinate, be sure you drink lots of water...especially if you're nursing. The fact that it burns a lot could mean that your urine is pretty concentrated, which means your not getting enough fluids.
It will get better, though - hang in there. Welcome to the Mommy Club. S.!! ;)

1 / 3