Puberty

i was about 15 when I started my period. I always assumed that my daughters would enjoy the same late start. recently my 10 year old daughter was putting her bathing suit on and I noticed that there was a few long hairs in both of her arm pits. she has been complining of head aches. is it possible that she is starting now? should I be concerned? 10 is really young. on another note should I have her start shaving that area? like i said I was 15 before I did any of the above si I just dont know.

I started at 11 but my mom started at like 14 or 15 so she may be earlier. I would at least talk to her about it. And if she needs to shave the pits, then by all means have her...it is something that I think kids will tease about and you dont need to add anything to that list!

Hi M., I am 33 now and I started when I was 10. A long time ago, I remember shaving in the 5th grade, because some girl made fun of the hair on my legs, so I begged my mom. So, it's not just "these" days that girls are starting early. Best of luck with you, I have an 11 year old son and an 11 year old almost step daughter. And they are BOTH in puberty...Grrr...

It's definitely possible. I started on the last day of 5th grade and had terrible PMS symptoms for a month or two leading up to my first period :(

Unfortunately your daughter is not too young. Welcome to the world created by the overuse of antibiotics and hormones in our food! Seriously...I'm not kidding.

That being said, she's not too young. You're going to have to talk with her about what is happening to her body and what to expect. You should, together, go to the store and buy some products for when her period does start...then she is prepared and won't be caught off guard with nothing. There are plenty of small discrete pouches or purses that she can have with her so she has something whenever it does happen.

As far as the shaving, I would hold off until there are a few more then just 2 hairs. I would start off with an electric razor as it is more difficult to cut themselves with that.

M.,
Yeah I was pretty surprised when that all showed up on my 9 year old. I actually made a doctor appt to get hormone (thyroid, etc...) checked out to make sure that she didn't have some type of growth disorder/issues due to the timing being a couple years earlier than me. Anyway, labs came back normal and the doctor said that 10ish is not so surprising for hair and some mood changes. My experience as a Youth Leader say girls go through "2 years of PMS" before they start! Not fact just feelings!!!! As to the shaving, mine asked me recently and I started too too early. So, we are comprimising with NAIR for her armpits only, right now. I know I snuck my mom's razor and I don't want her to do that. Anyway, hope that helps.

I started at 12, but my oldest daughter started at 10. She developed early, needless to say. Usually a girls period starts about 1 year after she has a large amount of pubic hair. As for shaving, I think that is a personal choice. My daughter started shaving legs and arm pits around end of 4th grade, I think, when she was 10. My 9 year old wants to now, but I won't let her yet. (She is also an early developer.)

I started my period when I was 10. After I started, that's when my mom and grandma talked to me about shaving my legs/armpits etc. They also talked to me about how I might feel while on my period.

I hope this helps. It may be hard for your daughter at first because I know it was hard for me...I felt like an outsider because I didn't know or think that any of my friends were dealing with the same thing.

~K. P.

I started my periods when I was 11 years old. My older sister started when she was 14. There is some heredity involed but every person has their own "schedule".

I was 10 when I started my period. It just depends on the girl. It's never too early to talk about it so they are prepared. I remember that they didn't talk about it until the follow year. That morning I woke up and my stomach hurt. I went to the bathroom and there was blood all over the place in my underwear and pajamas. I thought I was dying! lol.

Shaving doesn't need to start now... but it's all on one's preference. If there's only a few, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if it's not bothering her! Once thing is you could show her how... then if she wants to she can.

Hope this helped

I was 13 when I started, My mom was 9 and my oldest daughter was 10, my middle daughter is 12 and hasn't started yet so it is very possible that she is. It is a very individual thing, there is no set schedule for puberty.

E.

1 / 3