Pricing Baby Clothes for Garage Sale?

I am putting some baby clothes into a friends garage sale and I have no clue on what to price them at. I would love some ideas on how much to price thing at.

What would you pay for that item at a garage sale? That is what I go by when I price things. You will get a higher amount if you consign them at an semi annual consignment sale.

My first piece of advice is not to sticker each individual item ... it takes way too long and is not worth it. Instead, group like items (t-shirts, pants, outfits, etc) on separate tables and put an appropriate price on each table. I would say that generally, t-shirts price at a quarter to fifty cents, pants seventy-five cents to a dollar and outfits a dollar to two, depending on the condition, etc. It makes it much easier to add up, as well, by just having to count pieces. Good luck!

I would agree with most of the moms that say if you want them gone, price them cheap. I love garage saling, and live in an area where baby clothes are abundant. So I pass over torn or stained clothes, and also pass by clothes that are priced too high. I will talk to the seller and see if they will negotiate also. I also spend more time at sales where the clothes are easy to see and put together in sizes. I left one sale before really looking because there were six tables pushed together and clothes stacked at least a foot high completely covering the tables. It was overwhelming and she wanted ridiculous amounts for them. I am sure they were great clothes, but I just felt so overwhelmed that I left.

Hope this helps you :) Have fun, meet interesting people and be ready to wheel and deal, and you will probably have a great time.

A quarter per piece. Fifty cents if it's an outfit together. A dollar or two if it's a "name brand" that's in good shape.

I don't know if that seems too low for you, but I do ALOT of garage saling and baby clothes are a dime a dozen (no pun intended!). If a shopper thinks your baby clothes are priced too high they can go to the next garage sale and get just as much selection for less money.

If they are in good shape you can ask for $2 or $3 apiece. If you want to make sure they go you can ask $1 for them, 50 cents for more worn clothes. If it is fancy, you can ask even more for them or coats, snowsuits and all that ask a good price for them. If they don't seem to be selling, you can always lower the price. If you don't get what you want out of them you can always take the good ones to Once upon a child or other second hand stores. Or you can just go and check out what they are selling their clothes for.

You may consider another option for whatever doesn't sell. Try a site called GumdropSwap (http://gumdropswap.com). You can swap from anywhere in the US by sending the clothes your kids outgrow to this kids boutique in CT. An option if you want to get some value out of all the money you spent instead of flat out donating. As long your things are in good condition they don't turn down anything because of brand, size or season. They take everything unlike resale store like Once Upon a Child! They give you points to shop on the website and send the clothes that fit your kids. It's great if you don't have time, patience or know how to do consignment, Ebay, craigslist, tag sale, etc.

Just a note--Gymboree and Baby Gap clothes seem to be in high demand and you can ask on the high end for them if they're in good shape. Just check out what the Gymboree stuff sells for on ebay. I know some people make back what they paid for the clothes, even after their kids wore them. Good luck!

For things that are obviously used- stick to less then a dollar. (or a footed blanket sleeper- can go for $1 if it is a good used condition)For like new items several dollars is usually a good price. If it is worn once or never up to 25% of it's original cost is good.

Like everyone else said. If you want it gone, mark it CHEAP!!! If you're just going to donate them after the sale, mark them down. A quarter in your pocket is more than nothing....

I mark my tops anywhere from 5 cents to $1.00 (needs to be in perfect shape for the $1 mark.)

Pants are anywhere from 5 cents to $1.00 (again, must be in great shape to be marked high.)

Outfits can by marked UP TO $3.00. Most are marked $1 to $2.

Jammies go for about 50 cents.

Coats go for about $3 to $5 depending on shape. If they are Columbia snow sets, you can get $10 to $20 depending on shape and quality.

When I have a sale, I want my stuff GONE!!! I've been to sales where they have gymboree and such brands and when they have it marked $5 for a shirt, they DON"T SELL!!! Ebay is different from garage sales. If you want ebay pricing then you need to list on ebay and pay the fees.

When people go garage saling, they are looking for good deals!

1 / 3