Pregnant with Low Blood Pressure and Light-headedness

I am 17 weeks pregnant, and lately I have been feeling really light-headed. I have to lie down or I feel like I will pass out. Also, at my 16 wk appt, my blood pressure was 90/56. Any suggestions to help? This isn't a bad sign of anything, right? Thanks!

Thanks everyone! I spoke with my OB today, and he wasn't too concerned. He suggested fluids and rest as well. He said that now, my uterus is heavy enough to put pressure on the blood flow to my legs...so blood can tend to pool in my legs, leaving me light-headed. Resting on my side is the best remedy, so I'll continue to do that often. Thanks!

make sure you are drinking enough and taking enough iron. I always get dizzy and light headed when anemic and the baby strips the iron from you. I ended up taking an extra iron supplement along with my prenatal.

I was lightheaded a lot during my pregnancy too, and have always had low blood pressure, so I was worried about the same thing. Luckily, I never passed out, but came close once or twice. My doctor told me to drink lots of water - when I was really feeling it Gatorade would help more. I also made sure to load up on protein, lots of nuts, lean meats, eggs, etc. I ALWAYS had a baggie of almonds or a really high protein snack bar with me and would just eat when I felt lightheaded. It helped a lot, hang in there! Also be sure to just rest when you can - listen to your body and don't overdo it - every body is different and handles pregnancy differently!

I had something similar around 25 weeks. I didn't pass out but came very close. I had eaten a plate full of desserts right before so I think mine was a sugar crash. Call your obgyn tomorrow to let them know but it is probably nothing. You can pretty much blame everything on pregnancy.

Drink plenty of fluids and DO REST and lay down. Your body is working hard. Why is it people still not getting it that pregnancy is a HUGE workload on the body. Take care of yourself - no one else will.

If you have too little salt in your diet, it can cause that. Also, if the cause is the blood pooling in your legs, pressure stockings may help. Just take it easy. I live life with low blood pressure, and really had issues in my first pregnancies (my last it was really high for some reason). I have two relatively (unrelated) healthy noisy boys running around to prove it wasn't an issue. GL!

i have very low blood pressure as well (92/62 at 38 weeks last thurs) and always feel light headed and faint in the middle of my pregnancies. i think it is around this time when your baby starts getting more blood so it takes a little while for your body to adjust. it usually weny away in a month or so. i've never had a problem with it but always mentioned it to my dr. good luck and congrats on the pregnancy!

its not a good sign see your doc

When you have low blood pressure eat ordrink somethin salty and it will bring it up. And also low bp could be a sign of something wrong with your heart (not always) I took care of a lady that had extremely low bp and it turned out it was her heart. Just get it checked and make sure. My BP is usually on the low side too and I sometimes get light headed. And sometimes when you get light headed it could be your blood sugar too. I had that happen when I was pregnant. Just go to the doctor and get checked out real good! Congrats on your pregnancy.

1 / 3