Potty Training Pants Recommendations?

Our almost 3yo son has been doing very well with potty training for #1. He was definitely ready, and was staying dry in underwear for 2-3 hours and even most nights. When he did have an accident, he would only wet himself a little bit and then stop.

The problem is with the #2. I fully expect that to take longer for to be ready to use the toilet and am fine with that. The issue is that he has relatively loose and frequent bowel movements (1-3 per day). The stool is VERY difficult to clean from his underwear. You cannot shake it off into the toilet like well-formed stool. It also gets all over his legs (and sometimes the floor) just trying to get the underwear off of him.

I tried switching him from underwear to pull-ups, which are much easier to handle for #2s because of the velcro sides. However, not surprisingly, he has lost significant ground on the potty training as he has decided to just pee in them too.

I've been researching training pants and am frustrated that they all seem to be just super-absorbent underwear with or without a waterproof outer lining. Any of these will be just as hard get off of him and wash as underwear. I'm looking for something that is not absorbent (so he will quickly sense he is wet), is easier to get off (with velcro or snaps on the sides) and easier to wash (a waterproof material)? Does such a thing exist? Has anyone tried using a cloth diaper wrap or "cover" without the cloth diaper? Will that be comfortable? Would that give him a rash as it's not designed/intended to touch the skin?

Any other suggestions? I've already tried modifying his diet to firm up his stool. I don't give him any juice or dried fruit. I encourage him to eat bananas, apple sauce, rice and toast, but he gets tired of those foods so it's not sustainable.

i highly recommend Potty Scotty 2 in 1 Training pants! They are not "crunchy" and the let him feel the wetness. They also have a night trainer that has velcro on the side. There are lots of online reviews of them. Good luck!

Hi D.,

There are many brands of trainers that have the features you are looking for. Look for trainers with PUL (a waterproofing material) and side or back snaps. You may like these: http://www.nosugaraddedshop.com/store.cgi?p=Starbunz_Supe..., but you should also research this site: http://allaboutclothdiapers.com/most-popular-cloth-trainers/. I haven't tried any of these trainers because I made my own. If you are crafty and know how to sew, there are many patterns out there to make just what you are looking for, such as these: stellar transitions http://littlecomettails.kingstondesign.com/st1855.html. Good luck!

-H.

We used snap-ez training pants:
http://www.snap-ez.com/CartECOTrainers.html

They have snaps on the sides so they are easy to take off.
They are a bit thicker than underwear, but he'd definitely feel the wetness.

Most cloth diaper covers or wraps are PUL, which is a plasticy fabric. So they'd hold the pee in the wrap a bit but they would probably leak. he'd basically be in a puddle. I don't think they would work.

Yes, these exist! Just shop on cloth diaper websites, they will have exactly what you are look for: cotton trainers that are thick enough to hold an accident but will let the child feel wet, but have snaps on the sides for easy removal. A few of my favorite online stores are zannadu.com, and babynaturale.com, but there are many other places to look.

My 3 1/2 year old was just diagnosed with celiac disease which caused frequent, loose stool for him. I suggest working with your Dr. to make sure your son isn't having a medical/dietary issue causing the diarrhea. It might be hard for him to control and make potty training difficult for him right now. Best of luck!

I empathize w/ you when it comes to those messy loose stools. When my son was a yr he was eating so many apples from the yard it was just an awful mess!

I did elimination communication so my son pretty much stopped pooping in his (cloth) diaper around early 1. He just knew he didn't want to sit in it. He had no prob being bare bottom and pooping outside if he didn't want to stop to go to the potty. At some point I realized the same as you- undies are way messier to clean compared to diapers. I know you're afraid of losing headway w/ the #1 but I don't think you really will. I would suggest that you just tell your son that he is going to go back to wearing diapers till he is ready to poop in the potty because it is easier for you to clean. ALso let him know that you know he is a big boy and he doesn't have to wear diapers. If he likes his undies better, AND if he will tell you when he needs to go potty to poo, he doesn't have to wear the diapers. Little children, given the chance to act "big" and able to recognize what allows them their dignity, will choose not to sit in their poo. The trick is not to put them down about their elimination- it is important to treat pooping and peeing like it's normal- as normal and eating and sleeping, right?
Good luck. In about a month it'll prob be all normalizing. Of course, night is the hardest. Usually my daughter would let out a cry and that was my cue to get up and take her to the bathroom.
P.S. Less fruit maybe?

starbunz and snap-ez make trainers that you're describing. snaps on the side, waterproof outer, adjustable absorbency.
Keep in mind, they are *quite* pricey. I completely understand your frustrations with the #2 though. My son hid behind the sofa and pooped into his underpants/trainers for a *looooong* time. i just couldn't justify the cost of buying those trainers. they are like $20+ a piece.
http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/training_pants.htm

the potty scotty's are awful, in my opinion. they are *super* thick in the middle. gerbers are more like an underwear. the potty scotty almost felt like there was a big ol' pad in the middle. sent them straight back.

Does your son eat/ like bananas. They may help solidify his stools more so they are easier to handle.

1 / 3