Potty Training help...my 2 Yr Old Boy Pees Everywhere but Inside the Potty!

My son is 2 years old & doing great on going to the potty. My problem is that while he's sitting on the potty, his pee goes everywhere but the toilet! I tried showing him to point it down, but he ends up peeing on his hand, (and everywhere else too!). Daddy has tried teaching him, but since I'm home with him & Dads at work, he doesn't get the consistency of learning from Dad. Is he too young to transition to peeing standing up? (he's 26 months) if he can't handle pointing it down while in a sitting position, is it harder in a standing position? I have 3 daughters, & never had this issue with them! lol I need HELP from Mommy's who have potty trained boys! I just don't have a clue on this one! I know they have the potty seats that have the lil cup in front and you attach it on top of the big toilet seat, but he just doesn't like to sit on those. & he wants to sit on the potty all by himself, so those seats don't allow him to do that! Please send me all of your ideas! TIA!!

Thank you all for your wonderful & very helpful advice!! I was so excited to see so many different ideas fro
you fantastic mommys!! We are still working on it, and he is doing great with sitting backward on the toilet! Thank you all so much!

We used a single sheet of toilet paper - float it in the water and tell them to sink it. That way you are not giving them ideas about putting things in the toilet and it is always available - even when not at home. The other thing is that boys don't always train as early as girls. We have 3 boys and they were all different ages!

I know you have plenty of responses but Ill add my advice.

Sit if in the potty backwards looking toward the tank.

When you have him sit on the toilet, spread his legs really wide and put him more towards the back of the toilet. Then have him put his hands in front of him for balance, on the front part of the seat. So he is kind of leaning forward. This will make his head go down a little so he will end up watching himself pee.

The leaning forward will naturally aim him down. Unless he is slightly erect (which can happen after a serious nap or in the mornings) there will be no spraying around. The learning to watch his own pee will fascinate him...you can even build that part up (look at the bubbles! or whatever) so he begins to get an awareness of where his pee is going. He is old enough that if he pees on the seat you can hand him a bit of toilet paper to start wiping it up. (Which he won't do well, but it is the habit you are building.)

If you have a round toilet instead of an elongated toilet then you will have more struggles simply because he is not yet controlling his stream and probably won't for another year. But this position really helps.

I've potty trained four boys and my opinion is that until they have an awareness of where the pee is going, you don't want them standing. You want them to learn to watch. Because if they are not watching, it will not matter if they are 7 or 8, they will still look away and pee outside of the rim while standing. (My husband jokes my older boys, "You have to be a man to be able to pee and not look. And you, my boys, are not yet men.")

VickiS

My second son had some aiming issues. It was not fun. Targets work. Throw some Cheerios in the toilet and let him try to sink them.

My boys peed standing up most of the time, but they were closer to 3 years old when they did. We had a potty seat they used for pooping that fit into our regular toilet seat and it had a pee guard that stuck up so it would drain into the potty. If he is standing, I've heard of people putting cheerios and such in there to use as targets. I was afraid to do that not knowing what else he might put in there for targets. I got those blue tablet things that you put in the toilet tank that turn the water blue. They liked standing there and making the water green. That fixed it for us for the most part. Just a word of warning though. My boys are 7 & 5. I still have to wipe down the toilet seat, tank, baseboards, trash cans, etc. THey never seem to quite master the aim no matter what!

I feel your pain..I have one boy in the middle of 4 girls. Potty training was a whole new world for me. My son did learn how to push it down, without peeing on his hands, but we was a few months older when we started. That might be a small part of your problem. Not that he is too young to potty train, just might not be old enough to understand the cause and effect thing. One thing my son did, that does help, was turn backwards on the potty. It makes it easier for him, but it is a pain, cuz we have to take everything off. I dont let him do it when we are out, but at home..whatever makes him happy. He has not mastered standing yet, but I am not too worried about it yet. Hope that helps a little bit..good luck!! ~A.~

We just switched our boys to standing up and it is a way bigger mess!
I actually went in to the potty with them when they were first learning (sitting)and told them to concentrate and point thier pee pee down. Almost everytime they stand up it ends up everywhere.

Put fruit loops or cheerios in the toilet for him to aim at. Works amazingly.

1 / 3