Pink Eye W/no Insurance

ok moms, no judgements please...i had to drop our insurance a couple months ago b/c the premiums doubled. long story short, we still have no insurance. my son had a gunky eye last night, and this morning it is still gunky and slightly swollen and reddish. i'm sure you're all thinking "pink eye", which, i am too. my question is, will this go away? i know it's highly contagious and we have kept him home from daycare. but i have had this before and all they did was give me some eye drops and it was fine. is it worth it? just wondering. we'll probably take him to the walgreens walk in if it's still yucky this evening.

*****************
update - i have done a little looking online and am finding a lot of support for using tea bags as a compress to withdraw the infection. has anyone ever used this? there seem to be tons of homeopathic remedies for pink eye...i am interested in trying them...in fact i have the tea bag seeping as we speak. any thoughts?

thank you so much ladies, you are such a help! the eye cleared up in about 48 hours using the camomile tea, however, it did turn into a cold. just a sore throat and kind of a runny nose, nothing major, but like i said in my question, i am not opposed to taking him to a walk in clinic if he gets bad. i think part of this is also me transitioning from a first time mom of a baby, to a more confidant mom of a kid. he's a very robust and healthy three year old, so every little thing doesn't need to be rushed to the dr. at least that's what i'm finding. anyway i'll quit rambling, thank you so much for all your advice. i also ordered a book of home remedies for children, off amazon.com for .99! can't wait to get it!

My mom always uses saline solution (like what you buy for contacts). Just rinse the eyes with it a few times a day. Works every time!

I've read the responses, they are good ones. One more note though, if it doesn't go away...my daughter gets pink eye at least once a year. A couple of years ago I couldn't get her to her doctor out of town so I called my eye doctor and asked him to call me something in, knowing that's what it had to be b/c she gets it all the time, it's always the same. He insisted he needed to see her so I took her in and, tho the symptoms were the same, she had a tiny piece of straw in her eye that couldn't be seen that was causing the infection that time. So if it doesn't go away with any of these tips try to get him in to see someone.

This is not medical advice but I get pink eye frequently and long ago quit treating it; it always goes away on its own.

Have I got a trick for you! Yes, this will sound crazy, but it works. Two Christmases ago both of my kids came down with pink eye (they are inseparable, so one got it and shared). I couldn't get them to a doc (closed for Christmas), and really don't like putting too many medicines in their bodies, so I wanted to find a home remedy to try until I could get them to the doc if I had to. The trick is Chamomile tea bags. Put some very hot water in a cup and soak the tea bag for a couple of minutes. Take it out and lay it on a paper towel to cool down a bit. When the bag is cool enough to hold in your hand comfortably squeeze a couple of small drops into the infected eye then lay the tea bag on the eye (like women do with cucumbers) for about 15 minutes. Repeat this process when your son's eye feels irritated again, it could be a few hours or so. After a few days the pink eye will go away. This worked like a charm for me and I now keep a box of chamomile tea bags on hand. Good luck

Walgreens offers free healthcare for those who are uninsured. Read more about it here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/31/walgreen-free-ca.... Also, if you have CVS's in KS, you they will take competitors coupons, so even if you get seen at Walgreens, you don not have to fill your prescription there. Use a coupon and take it to CVS. I usually get $25.00 back for every perscription I fill (but I have insurance), but still $25.00 is $25.00.

I have heard of the tea bags working.
I have also seen this stuff at Wal-mart that is natural. It is for
pink eye. I used it on my granddaughter and it worked great!
My best to you and don't worry about dropping the insurance.
We totally understand. It is so expensive. There is always the
Health Clinic as well.
God bless and take care!!

I believe there is also a walmart prescription list that includes most basic medications for $5. no insurance required, and cheaper than the co-pay on most insurance. and you could probably call up any walk in clinic and tell them you don't have ins. and see what they'd charge for a drs visit, I bet it wouldn't be much. although, probably not necessary this time, just FYI for next time.

I have a sister who works with an eye doctor and when my kids had come down with "pink eye" she told me to put baby shampoo on a cotton ball, and clean the eye lids with this mixture. (Use baby shampoo so that it doesn't sting the eye!) All pink eye is really is a bad eye cold. I have done this with my twins and it works!!

It may actually be conjunctivitis instead of pink eye. Either way you should take him into your county clinic. You'll just have to pay a co-pay...regardless of whether you have insurance or not. The infection could get worse if left untreated.

I am in the same boat. We have no insurance...my daughter had the same thing and I had to take her yesterday. Tell them that you are a cash pay and they might give a discount. My daughter ended up not having pink eye but it's a viral thing and they did give drops. They were 43 bucks and the visit cost me 55. They had told me 75 at first.
So, you can try home remedies first...and if it doesn't work I would suck it up and take your child to the doctor.

1 / 3