Eye Infection - Do Home Remedies Work? Worth Trying or Not Worth the Risk?

I'm a contact wearer and I do sleep in my contacts sometimes.

2 days ago I woke up with puss around my eye. Didn't think much of it - no pain, discomfort, etc.

Yesterday noticed eye was really red. Took my contacts out and redness got worse as the day went on. Went to eye doctor who told me I have an bacterial infection, in BOTH eyes. Told me not to wear contacts for 7 days and use prescribed drop. I went to go fill the prescription and was told they would cost $80 GENERIC!!! I had just spend $70 on the exam with the doctor and felt that $80 for a tiny bottle (7 day supply) was just outrageous. So I went home and researched, and read that the infection should go away on it's own in about 7 days and that chamomile tea compress is a natural remedy.

Last night my husband put about 6 drops fo chamomile in both eyes, it felt weird for a bit but then went away. The puss this morning was only in the creases of my eyes and the redness is much less. My concern is that I don't know when the infection is gone and don't want to be ignorant and not fill the prescription if it's getting worse. I'm no doctor, but I think that if the redness and puss stop, then my eyes are better?

I will not wear my contacts for at least a week and will put new pair in when all symptoms are gone.

So have any of you used home remedies for eye infections that have worked? Please share your story. I've heard to use tea bags, breast milk, urine and alcohol... Would love to hear what works best, pros and cons.

And also, when it's just time to giive up and fill the prescription...

I got a really bad eye infection last year. It wasn't due to contacts, but it was bacterial. The same thing happened, the medicine was outrageous. It was $130. I called the doctor and just asked if there was a cheaper option out there, explaining that I was self paying for the medication. He was able to prescribe a medication that was on the $4 list. I would call and talk to him before you self medicate. I am one who rarely goes to the doctor, but eyesight is nothing to fool around with in my opinion.

If it were a viral infection, I'd say give the home remedies a try. Being that it is a bacterial infection though, I would just "bite it" and get the drops. Bacteria spreads and does not go away on its own. That is why so many bacterial infections are so contageous. It has to be "disinfected" and the only way to do that is with antibodies.

I would not mess with an eye infection. I work at Lenscrafters and see this kind of thing quite often. Ask the doctor if there is an alternative to the drops he gave you that could be less expensive or may be if they have some samples as you can not afford the drops he prescribed. If you do not take care of your eyes and get rid of the infection then you may not be able to wear contacts for longer than seven days. When in the shower,scrub your eyelids with your eyes closed with some baby shampoo or baby wash.I would do this every day to keep the eyes clean. Do not sleep in your contacts because your eyes are not getting the needed oxygen. When you sleep you lose oxygen to your eyes and when you have contacts in you lose more oxygen. Good luck and please call the doctors office and do what I suggested. I hope your eye feels better soon.

Well, I'm guessing you have pink eye (aka conjunctivitis) and it's incredibly contageous. You need to toss those lenses and I would suggest toss the case as well. Wash your hands thoroughly in hot water with soap. I just took my daughter to the dr. for that here not even an hr ago. I remember growing up that we used boric acid to treat it. HOWEVER, since all of the recent bomb making activity, you can no longer buy boric acid over the counter. I read online this a.m. that you can dissolve 1 tsp of baking soda in 2 cups of water to make an eye wash...I tried it on her a couple times already and she says her eye doesn't burn as much as it had. This will help with the irritation, but you need to get a prescription to clear the issue up. My daughter is not allowed back in school for 48 hrs because this is so contageous, so PLEASE see the dr. ASAP!

Edited to add: I'm not sure what script the dr. was trying to give you, but the one my daughter just received was only $30 and it's for both eyes.

If you PM me, I'll give you some other info I found on this as well.

I would fill the prescription if there is any way at all you can afford it. Bacterial infections of the eye - so this isn't like pink eye- it's bacterial, can effect your vision permanently - that's worth 80 bucks to me.

SB is so right. I'd rather go without meat for a few weeks and eat beans to get my protein allowance rather than take a chance with my eyes. You should too.

One thing to remember is that everytime you have an eye infection, you risk never being able to wear contact lenses again. If you can afford the contacts, you can afford to properly medicate your eyes. Don't put stuff in them that the doctor doesn't tell you to use. It's foolhardy to listen to people's "stories" about tea, urine and alcohol, breast milk - good Lord. You only have these eyes and can't get anymore. Why would you listen to old wives' tales?

Call your doctor back and tell him or her what you've been doing. Tell him the medicine is very expensive. Ask for a different brand that is cheaper. And promise yourself that you'll stop looking for cheap tricks like this. Your health is TOO precious for that!

Sincerely,

First of all - it's your vision you're messing around with - home remedies are not for eyes! Get a prescription now for antibactierial drops.

Second - as it relates to contact lenses and sleeping in them - my eye doctro told me years ago that VERY few people are candidates for the sleep-in contact lenses and of those only about 10% have success. He refuses to fit them for his patietn AT ALL - said that he saw too many patients have just the problems you're having - damage that could not be reversed that resulted from sleep-in contact lenses.

Sounds like this occurs once in a while - I really think you need to ask if you should be wearing them to sleep. At the very least I would not wear them to sleep EVER. It only takes 3 mintes to take them out and clean them. You do not want to damage your eyes permanently. My sister got an infection in her eyes and now has a permanent scratch on her cornea which does impact her vision.

I've worn contact lenses for more than 30 years - LOVE them. But as i've goten older I've found that my eyes tolerate them less and less and I wear glasses more often. Of course, at 51, I need reading glasses when I wear contact lenses - so that kind of defeats the purpose!

Call the eye doctor back and ask if there's a presciption that's less costly - you'd be surprised. Also call around - some pharamcies are a lot more expensive than others. But if not - let's face it - how much do you spend on contact lenses? Isn't your vision worth $150?

We use Colloidal SIlver for eye issues. We put some on a cotton ball and wipe the outside of the eye (just close your eye and wipe). It works so great. The pain and itching go away, and it is so soothing. Colloidal Silver is a natural antibiotic, which you cannot build immunity against, like you can with pharmaceutical antibiotics. Of course, if your condition worsens (which I have never seen), you should see your doctor. But, I am not a fan of big pharma for most things. It has its place, but it is way in the back of the room in a corner. ;)

1 / 3