Pet Question - Arthritis in Dog

We have an older Corgi mix dog - not sure of her actual age, she was a rescue - but we think between 11 and 13. I noticed that sometimes, when she gets up after laying down for awhile, she is limping at little. After she is up for a bit, the limp goes away. So, I am thinking she is developing arthritis.

Does anyone have any suggestions on homeopathic remedies?
I am doing some reading on-line, and I will talk to my Vet, but there is so much info out there, I am hoping someone on MP has a tried and true remedy. I realize I can't "cure" her arthritis, but I would like to offer her some relief.

Thanks.

S H. - I am taking her to the Vet next week when I go pay off my bill for treatment of my older kitty who just passed away last week...I am trying to stay calm about this, another, beloved pet getting old.

Anyhoo, I just wanted some "talking" points to ask the Vet, since this is yet another new medical issue for me and my pets.

My sister gave her older kitties glucosamine-so I will definitely ask about that, and about cosequin.

Thank you all.

Miss Betty sends you doggie kisses also.

give her an asprin a day. I had a dog that died at 14. He had arthritis for the last 5 years. The vet told me to give him an asprin a day.

I would take her in and have her checked by a vet. If she does in deed have arthritis, you'll have options. We picked cosequin to use on our dog and it really helped! (She lived the rest of her life without pain because of it.)

Here's a link to inform you on what cosequin is: http://www.drlarrypetvet.com/shop_cosequin.html

We have use a glucosamine/condrotion (sp?)and also fish oil with our lab. I use a glucosamine made for dogs since it is a chew that she takes as a treat. She does not currently have joint problems, but had frequent sprains and we know her one hip is not a great joint, so we started supplements early. After starting she started spraining her leg less and recovers quicker when she does. Your vet may also recommend a NSAID, such as rimadyl or deramaxx as needed. You may need to do blood work depending on how often you use some medication. There is also traumeel that can help that is more natural. It sounds like you are doing the right way, talking to the vet and coming up with a plan that will help girl continue to do well. Also making sure she gets exericse- walking or swimming are great and keeping her weight in check, both of which you probably already do.

Sorry for the loss of your kitty too.

My last family dog had an amazing life in our home but when she developed arthritis, it was so hard to watch her not be able to go up the stairs anymore or jump up on the couch to watch tv with you. Our vet starting giving her shots in her hips which did help but there really is nothing you can do to stop it or like you said, "cure" it. Dogs lives are shorter than humans so it's sad to see them get old and suffer. Just keep your dog comfortable and play with her in her own spot so she knows she's loved.

start giving her glucosamine. we give our jacks each half a tab, but you can talk to your vet about dosage. Just like in humans, it takes a while to see results but it can really help, I take it myself for my arthritic knees!

It's not homeopathic but Glyco Flex I, II, and III made such a huge difference in our greyhound; I highly recommend! We purchased it online.

I had a sheltie that had terrible arthritis. I put him on OPC3 pet health and noticed a HUGE difference. Here is the one I used. Love it. I have my new puppy on it just to keep him healthy.

http://www.marketamerica.com/nicoleryan/index.cfm?action=...

I really recommend cosequin for dogs. Helps alot.You can get it on Amazon for more than half of what you will pay at the vet. I've used Nutramax brand.
Best Regards,

1 / 3