Tylenol for My Dog?

My German Shorthair is getting old and I think has arthritis in his hip. Can I give him human medication like tylenol?

Thanks for sharing your experience with arthritis in dogs. I bought some Glucosamine & Chondroitin for him and hope it helps!

Asprin is good, 1 in the morning and 1 at night. This site might help.
There are more. For a complete list visit
http://mooreshaven.com/pets/dogs/safety/badfoodslist.html

Ok, definately NOT TYLENOL. Grandma was giving her dog tylenol for 2 weeks when we went to visit. Dog was lethargic so I took her to the vet. Turns out tylenol will cause them to bleed internally. Dog had blood and plasma intraveniously and had to be admitted to the intensive care unit. Needless to say, we learned the hard way that buffered asprin is the way to go. Anything extra strength is a bad idea and always check with your vet first! They do sell buffered asprin with a weight dosage at petsmart.

I have a 90 lb black lab and my vet told me to give her the buffered 500 mg Aspirin. I would definetly check with the vet on how many mg but the buffered Aspirin doesn't upset her stomach.

We have been giving our dog who also has arthritis chewable 81mg aspirin for a couple years once a day seems to help

we gave our westie baby asprin for arthritis (until it got too bad and we went for the pet stuff). I would ask your vet about how much and what specifically, they might want you to start giving him one every morning or evening or something.

NO! Tylenol is toxic to dogs. It can cause damage to the liver and kidneys. Take your dog to the vet to have the problem diagnosed. There are great medications for pets with arthritis. Your dog can't tell you he hurts.

you should give him glucosamine. did wonders for my dogs joints!!!

As has been said - NO TYLENOL! (It is toxic to dogs and Tylenol is not very effective human arthritis...ibuprofin or aspirin is recommended...)

Dogs can take aspirin but like humans it can upset their stomach. I use Ascriptin, a brand of buffered, coates aspirin that has Maalox built in. It helps protect the stomach.

On a side note - THANK YOU for YOUR service to our country by supporting your husband! (And, of course, huge thanks to him!!!)

1 / 3