Peppermint or Chamomile for 2 Month Old...

I heard you can give peppermint or chamomile to babies for reflux and tummy aches. Is this true and if so what kind do you give and how much. My daughter is on Prevacid right now, but i do not like giving her drugs. Any help would be great! Thank you.

I gave my son camomile tea when he had gas pains to soothe his stomach. It does work but infants only need a little bit. If you have a medicine dropper it works great. I believe I gave him a teaspoonful.
My mom was the one who told me about it. She is from Italy and said it is an old fashioned remody as they did not have much medicine back in the day.

Dear B.,

My son had pretty bad reflux, we never tried peppermint or chamomile, but there were a few other things that helped. Gripe water helped sometimes, they have it at health food stores and Kroger. Mylicon also helped sometimes. He was never able to breast feed, so he had formula. I read several places that the process they use to isolate the DHA in baby formula adds a chemical that bother baby's tummy, so when we switched to Nestles Good Start Supreme without DHA (the purple label) it helped A LOT!!! We can add fish oil to give the oils they need, without the harmful chemicals.

Another trick is this: Hold baby on your lap facing out (back of baby's head on your chest) rub your hands firmly one after the other from the bottom of baby's ribcage to top of diaper for a count of 15. Then bend baby's legs up toward their tummy, hold for a count of 15. Then rub, in a clockwise circle, baby's tummy for a count of fifteen. Bend baby's legs to their tummy again, hold for 15. Repeat process until baby calms down. It usually doesn't take very long. It helps to count out loud in a soothing tone.

My heart goes out to you for the loss of your little boy.

Peppermint can be good to calm an upset stomach, but it can be irritating for reflux. A little chamomile would be ok. I would recommend a little watered down rice cereal. My son has bad reflux also and I would give him a syringe of watery rice cereal - I'm nursing. If you bottle feed you could put it in the bottle. It helps to keep the food down. Ask your doctor about it.

Be very very careful with peppermint. It can be good for reflux, but if you over do it, you can cause more damage. My mother did that several years ago. She was using peppermint in her tea and coffee, then she was sucking on peppermints all the time. She burned her esophagus (sp). I went to the health food store and used a digestive enzyme for both my children. I would put a tiny bit in their bottles and it helped.

Good luck, the chamomile will help sooth a fussy baby, it's a calming herb.

Chelle E

B.,

Are you nursing or formula-feeding? I couldn't nurse and formula-fed instead. I found that the reflux completely stopped by switching to the hypoallergemic formulas (Enfamil-Nutramigen or Similac-Alimentum). Those little tummies often eventually come around, but dairy is so hard for them to digest in the beginning. If you are nursing, you could stop the dairy in your diet...but it could also be the wheat, corn, eggs too. I'm not sure if that would work or not because nursing is different, but it might be worth a try (try dairy first by itself for a week).

I know the hypoallergenic formulas are expensive!! But if that is the route you choose, it is only temporary...that 12 month mark creeps up on you fast...and their tummies are so much happier/they sleep so much better too.

Good luck B., and BLESS YOUR HEART for what you/your family has been through!

The old wives tale treatment is to put a peppermint candy in the bottom of a bottle of water. Use your own judgement.

Hi B.! I am so sorry for your loss of your son, but congratulations on your daughter. I have two healthy daughters ages 6 and 9. My doctor recommended and it worked beautifully on my two girls. Mylicon drops for infants. You give them the drops before they eat and it soothes their bellies before. I breast feed my girls both for about 2 years and it helped us tremendously. I also watched what I ate, even potatoes that made me gassy, I kept away from. Good luck!

My daught born with SEVER Gerd. born 9lbs 2oz at 8 weeks old she weighed 9lbs 1oz. I feel for you - really. Every child is different. She did not sleep in a crib until she was 8 1/2 months. It is still elevated. She is almost 9 months.
It will get better.
What worked for us. Prevacid 1 pill 2xs a day. Zantec 3xs a day .8ml & Soy formula with a teaspoon of rice ceral for every once. It worked.
I would start with the rice ceral in the bottle. Soy is heavier then the hypo kind. I used to say if I am giving her hypo kind I would spare her the pain and just dump it down the front of me.
Go see a gastro. Talk to your DR. Even if you are calling them 3 times a day. That is what they are there for.
My daughter is now down to 1 1/2 a prevacid pill a day and rice in her soy formula.
Childrens hospital has some great GASTRos. Mine is on Orchard lake rd in Farmington hills. She didn't like my daughter on all the meds either - but, the meds is what worked.
Just remember, just as if you had heartburn & it hurts - that is what your baby is feeling. We wouldn't like to have that 24-7 for months at a time. See a gastro - keep her upright - sleep in a swing or in your arms. I know it is hard. Hang in there. This too shall pass.

1 / 3