Experience W/ Colic Calm Gripe Water ? Prevacid/Zantac Not Working

My baby is 5 weeks old and was diagnosed a week ago with reflux (GER) which she's had probably since she was about 3-3.5 weeks old. She cries nonstop all day basically. She's on prevacid in the morning maalox max throughout the day (as needed) which provides very temporary relief (few minutes) and Zantac at night. It's been just over 5 days now and we're still not seeing much improvement. My ped GI said give it 2 weeks but that just seems ridiculous - you'd think by now I'd see a little improvement! I heard about Colic Calm gripe water. Anyone use this in combination with the meds (Prevacid and Zantac)? I kind of don't want to stop the medicine just to be consistent but at the same time am concerned about mixing herbs with prescription drugs. Or, maybe I should just stop the meds and try the Colic Calm to see how it works......Any advice would be great! We're desperate!

Hi Jeannie,

Look up this information on the web:

http://www.coliccalm.com/baby_infant_newborn_articles/aci...

Get into a mom's support group.

http://attachmentparenting.meetup.com

Good luck. D.

Don't stop the meds. I tried gripe water and don't recall it working (and my son was probably taking meds too- it was 5 years ago!) The medicine didn't work for him either (although it did with my daughter). But with both of them, him earlier than her, they just grew out of it. He was good to go by 2-3 months and it took her 6 to get off the medicine.
Just keep trying.

So, I've never heard of colic calm, my pediatrician gave me Baby Bliss original gripe water and I used that with Zantac until my son was off Zantac at maybe 5 months old. We still use the gripe water when he has problems and it works like a charm. My son as an infant would start to calm down as he tasted it after using it for about a month, it worked so well. I still wonder if it was really the gripe water after all, since we stopped the Zantac and use only gripe water and it managed it just as well. He had dairy issues, so we will give it before hand to prevent issue and it is great. Good luck!!

Hi Jeannie,
My daughter is currently on Zantac and it was a godsend for us. We tried home "remedies" at first, including the gripe water, but they only helped mildly. I would recommend making sure that you are feeding her as upright as possible, stopping to burp often, and keeping her upright for 25+ minutes after she eats. My little one never really spit up, she just had the intense pain. She is 4 months now and has been on the Zantac for about 2 months. Your baby is only 5 weeks, so her system has a lot of adjusting to do. It WILL get better as she grows, even if it never goes away. The meds are essential to make sure that her stomach acid is neutralized (keep the esophagus healthy and from building up scar tissue that may make the problem worse down the road)---so DON'T stop them. Colic calm shouldn't interfere with the meds but ask your pharmacist just to be sure. I am a physician (oncology, so pediatrics isn't my field) and to the best of my knowledge it should be fine. I would recommend that you make sure that all medications are given at even/consistent doses to be maximally effective, then give any gripe water exactly between doses to avoid being too close together. For example, give your prevacid at 7am and your Zantac at 7pm (if it's just twice a day), space out your Maalox every 3-4 hours (say 10am, 1pm and 4pm) and then intersperse your colic calm (8:30am, 11:30am, 2:30pm, 5:30pm). This may seem like a lot of medication to keep track of, but even dosing is absolutely best for all involved. Be warned also that the colic calm has charcoal, so it is black (aka black will get everywhere it touches---clothes, tongue, poopy diapers, etc..). Good luck, and stay strong---your baby will start to feel better as she goes!!

It looks like you've had a lot of great responses here. I had the same issues with my first, which I unfortunately never recognized as reflux. It's great that the doc is helping you- although I'd be careful about using the meds longer than necessary. Once baby is feeling better, you might want to try cutting out some of the drugs and see if you can get by with less.

One thing I didn't see mentioned though. My son slept best on his tummy. Not sure why, for some reason it helped. I never let him stay asleep on his belly when he was younger, only when I was next to him and could watch him just in case. But in our experience it helped.

I use gripe water now with my 3rd, and I did also with my second. I don't think gripe water helps nearly so much with reflux as it does with gas. It seems to work miracles when my daughter has gas stuck in the stomach. Usually she burps or farts not long after taking it.

If you do decide to use baking soda as one poster suggested, baking soda can be toxic in high amounts. There is a small amount of baking soda in some brands of gripe water, but it's carefully measured, and perfectly safe.

Hi Jeannie,

I'm a mom of 3 and pregnant with #4. It seems rediculoud to me for a doctor to want to prescribe so much for a new baby and diagnose something like acid reflux. I'm not a doctor, but it seems that with a calm environment and some patience these things will work themselves out. My 22 month old, was unbearable at that stage. I did everything with my own diet to make sure she was nursing healthy milk. I ended up switching to bottles and a healthy formula. we gave her gripe water and the herbal colic tablets. Her evenings and days became so much smoother. Once we all just relaxed and allowed her to cry without totally trying to soothe her with a million things she worked out the fussiness. I'll keep you and your baby in prayer for calmness and better digestion.

I have a few questions. Are you breastfeeding or bottlefeeding? If you are bottlefeeding have you tried changing the formula? Have you tried the GASX for babies? Please let me know.

thanks

Hi Jeannie -

We had the same issue with our son, who is now 4 months old. He started on Zantac, and was switched to Prevacid a few weeks ago. His reflux still seems to bother him, but the pediatrician upped the dosage of the Prevacid, and that seems to help some. We do use Colic Calm, but it doesn't help with the reflux, only with the gassiness. It is kind of gross looking b/c it's black from the vegetable charcoal that's in it, but I tasted it, and the taste is sort of sweet. We only give it to our son when he is really fussy from gas, and it seems to calm him w/in about 5-10 minutes. It's a little pricey, but I think it's worth a try. I just wouldn't get too dependent on it. And definitely ask your pediatrician if the dosage on the medicine your baby is taking may need adjusted - since everything is based on weight, ours seems to change almost weekly!

Also, I should mention that our baby has been formula fed almost from the beginning, and regular formulas really seem to upset his stomach. We use Similac's Alimentum, and it has helped a LOT. It's also very pricey, but the change was pretty dramatic after we switched. I'd ask your doctor about it b/c if your baby is formula fed, you don't want to switch formulas unless absolutely necessary, but for us this made a significant difference.
Good luck -

Phooey on that stuff!!
Health food store sells a probiotic for babies, please try that. He will only be healthier!!
Peppermint tea helps too and warmth applied to the tummy.
God Bless

Hi jeannie,

I have no experience with Colic Calm gripe water.

However, I did want to give you my thoughts on your baby's situation. Hope you don't mind.

Has the baby ever had antibiotics? Or have you had antibiotics during the past 5 years? If so, the problem could be that your intestinal flora has been killed. It then becomes necessary to take a probiotic to replace the intetinal flora. All babies are born without it and get it from thier mother's kiss and etc. So, if you don't have it, you won't pass it on to the baby.

Let me know if you want the details on that.

Also, baking soda and/or natural peppermint is good for the colic. If you look at the ingredients of some of the over the counter meds for colic, you will find that they have one or both of those in them.

Hope this is helpful.

Hi there,
I feel your pain. My youngest still suffers from GERD and just turned `15 months. She has been on a regimen of Prevacid, Maalox, and Axid liquid since 8 wks. We used Gripe water and was dissapointed with the results. It wasn't until I used rice then oatmeal in her bottles in combo with the drugs that she had any relief. She would projectile vomit and scream all day and night. She was constipated and had gas attacks. It was miserable and I truly feel for you and your baby, it's so hard when you try to do anything and everything and you know they are still suffering. I have an awesome pediatric Gastro if you need to compare notes. If you want me to email you the name, let me know. ---Hang in there...T.

1 / 3