Normal Jaw Pain After Having a New Crown?

I had a new crown put on Friday morning. A temp had been on for 2 1/2 weeks, and about Wednesday I started having pain in my jaw. The temp crown was on the very last tooth on the bottom on the right side and the pain is on the left side of my jaw. If my mouth is open for awhile, or I'm talking for a bit, when I try to close my mouth it is SUPER painful. Like it's stiffened up and will crack if I keep trying to bite down completely. It''s also really sore when I yawn. At first, I thought it was just that side compensating for me not wanting to bite down too hard on the other side. But I've had the permanent crown for 3 days now and it's just as bad. Is this normal for getting a crown? Should I call the dentist, or is does it sound like something totally unrelated and I should just call the doctor in the morning?

Thanks for any help!

Thank you all so much! I'd never had a crown before so I wasn't sure if this is normal or not, especially since it's on the other side from the crown. I called and made an appt for first thing tomorrow with the dentist. Thanks again!

You might try some antiinflammatories like ibuprofen. Take it regularly for a few days. Your jaw muscles could be inflamed from being open during the procedure. Also, stay away from real chewy foods ie bagels, steaks, etc and no gum. Try icing it and don't let yourself yawn fully. Give it a couple of days and if it isn't feeling better you might need a bite adjustment. Typically the tooth would hurt though if the crown is too high. A crown can be a smidge too tall and cause problems. Hope it feels better soon.

I had a similar situation after having a crown put in. When I visited a new dentist (shortly after the crown installation, I didn't like the dentist who did it at all), he explained that if the bite is off, it throws your jaw out of alignment and can cause pain on the other side of your mouth. The new dentist was able to file down the crown a bit to fix my bite, which resolved the problem. I do hope your problem is nothing serious, but better to get it checked out to be on the safe side. Good luck!

This pain could be from having your jaw open for long amounts of time during your dental procedures? I have had a new crown put on my front tooth 3 times in my life. The first time I had horrible pain for days. My dentist, who is great, was unable to detect anything on the x-ray but when I went in for a check-up months later he discovered there was an infection in the tooth that I had the crown put on. By that time, the pain had alleviated, but I still had to have a root canal on that tooth. So...you should definitely call your dentist and explain your pain! Tooth pain in the worst!

You might call your Dr. tomorrow and ask.

I am a big TMJ person and I make things worse because of it.

I have a few porcelon crowns in back and it does take a few days to adjust.

Just call and ask to be on the safe side.

Best wishes.

hi -
I would definitely call the dentist. I have had a number of crown put on and the only soreness i get is from the shots. You may need a bite adjustment (if your bite is off it is like you have a "bruise: under your tooth so every time you bite down you are hitting the bruise). The only other time i had significant pain is when the decay was so deep i needed a root canal (pain in this case can radiate to other areas of the jaw – not only where the tooth that was being worked on was).

Yes, go back to your dentist. Sounds like TMJ problems (tempromandibular joint)--jaw problems. It is possible the crown is too high and the bite needs to be adjusted or you just may be having jaw problems for another reason. You can try eating softer foods for a while, nothing too chewy like gum or sticky candies. Ask the doctor about warm compresses and have your bite checked. If the pain seemed to be coming from the tooth that was crowned it is possible that you may need a root canal. However, if the pain truly feels jaw related it is probably your TMJ. Good luck but talk to your doctor--you will be fine.

I have TMJ and your symptoms sound similar to what happens to me when I'm particularly stressed and grind my teeth or after a trip to the dentist during which I have to keep my mouth open for an extended period of time. The pain is caused by stress on the jaw joint.

I'd call the dentist and ask about it before considering an unrelated cause. He knows how much he had to stress your jaw joint to do the work and will know what questions to ask you to help in a diagnosis. It is possible that your jaw has gone out of alignment. It is also possible that the crown does not fill well pulling your jaw out of alignment. I doubt that this is normal jaw pain. It's definitely not typical.

You should call the dentist. I have a friend that, alot of times when she goes to the dentist and leaves her mouth open for a long time, her jaw gets dislocated. It could be nothing for you but if it is SUPER painful you should get it checked out asap.

1 / 3