No Brainer Question on Conception/fertility

I know this is probably a no brainer question...specially coming from someone who already has had a child but I'm going to ask it anyway because I'm not really finding anything to completely answer my questions.
Lil backround...my fiance and I have been together a year Feb 26th and currently we're ttc.Now...we're been trying for 3 months, Feb will make 4 if we're not already pregnant.My guestion is...how long should u normally wait till u really bother to take a pregnancy test.I'm a week late Sunday and my periods are always very on the dot as far as sticking to my cycle.So when is the best time to test normally that is going to give u the most accurate results I guess is what I need to know.It's buggin' me....for a couple weeks now I've been a bit more sensitive to certain things I smell, peeing a lot which isn't normal for me anymore (always had a weak bladder and had to go a lot but being preg w/ my daughter seemed to cure it), feeling more blah in the mornings then usual and in the evenings (morning sickness in the evening w/ my daughter)..and I want to sleep ALL THE TIME!

Also, anyone know of anything that helps w/ fertility.We're both young (23 &26) so thats not an issue as it was w/ my daughters father (39).I know these things take time, but am just curious to see whats out there.(never stopped taking my prenatals.)

Have taken a test and got a VERY faint positive.I've never really been able to depend on home tests though over the years so we're just takin' it easy ..and trying not to get too excited until we can get another test or get an appointment.

I think this is all going to sound pretty standard, but here goes:
If your cycles are regular then taking a pregnancy strip test a couple days after you're due should give you an accurate answer. A blood test from your obgyn I think is even more accurate. I wouldn't rely only on physical/emotional symptoms. They can be misleading.
If the test says that you're not pregnant you may consider contacting a fertility specialist, although at your age they may prefer that you continue trying for a few months longer. There are many options that a fertility specialist can discuss with you. He/she will tailor a treatment plan designed especially for you based on your age, the results of a few tests, etc.

M.,
Todays tests are very sensitive and are usually very accurate. You can even take one before you miss your period (10 days after ovulation). But, if you are already a week late, it's a good time to test.

Things that help with fertility naturally: a healthy diet, exercise, positive state of mind. You can read the book Taking Charge of your Fertility. It is a good book that really teaches you about your body. Even in my Anatomy and Physiology, Gross Anatomy etc... SOme of the things in the book I never learned. This book covers temping, charting, watching cervical mucus etc... All the things your body does up to and after ovulation. It's fantastic! It's a great book and I have shared it with several of my friends. Fertility is an interesting and funny thing. After 3 years of ttc, 2 attempts at IVF with no success, and being told by the medical community that we would most likely not conceive we became pg 4 months later on our own and had a son! So, who knows. Good luck!

They have Early Pregnancy Tests that are more expensive than the regular ones, I can't remember who makes it. Friends of mine have taken that one, and it gave them an accurate answer.
My Mother-In-Law has 9 kids, and she had a hard time concieving her second child. A friend of hers told her to count 14 days after the first day of your period. So, the first day of your period is day 1, count to 14 days after that first day-and you will have your most fertile day. It worked for her 8 times. It worked for my husband and I when we had our first son.

Acupuncture can be great for fertility. I am an acupuncturist myself and work with patients for fertility. There are a lot of options here in PDX for acupuncture and I think several practitioners who really focus on fertility.

I think I found out I was pregnant about two weeks after I conceived, and I looked at all the tests to find that one that claimed the earliest results. I could have just been a sucker for the advertising, but it did work, so I can't remember the brand but take a look for a test that says something like "can test as soon as one week after missed period".

On the fertility side, I have a girlfriend who did some research and was very sucessful getting pregnant with her second baby by eliminating wheat and soy from her diet. She had struggled and struggled for years to get pregnant with her first baby and got pregnant almost immediately with the second.

To get an accurate reading I would wait until my period was at least on week late, if not two.

If you are not pregnant you could look at Natural Family Planning which uses your basal temperature and your mucus to determine ovulation.

take the test already girlfriend! I took both of mine for my two kids a week before my period was supposed to start and they both came back positive. the only thing you lose is 10 bucks if it comes back negative. Your already a week late, I'm sure your in the clear.

With my second pregnancy, I took a test and it came back negative even though my period was 7 days late. I felt nauseous and wierd and KNEW I was prego. It was just too strange. A few days later, still no period so I took another test and it came back positive. My body wasn't giving off enough hormones for the pt to pick up, but enough to start making me sick. You can get a false negative, but never a false positive. I know it's really, really hard to be patient when you are so excited about getting pregnant, but don't spend extra money on doctor appointments or expensive tests, just wait until your period is 10 or 12 days late, then the test will surely be positive if you really are pregnant.

1 / 3