Need Crib Mattress Help

Hoping to get some advice/feedback... I need to buy a new crib mattress for a baby due in March and I haven't bought one in over 6 years! Is there any specific brands/etc you can recommend? Is there anything new I should be looking for these days? I know they need to be firm and breathable but I have no idea if anything has changed much since I bought my last one (which made it through 2 kids before needing to be tossed to the curb). I read some reviews on BRU.com and found the Serta one to be rated pretty badly, which surprised me b/c I was going for name brand and higher price point. Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated - thanks!

Thanks for all of the feedback - it's always so hard to figure out what to get. I'd love to go organic but have so many other things to buy. I ended up at BRU today b/c I had a coupon and got a Simmons that has a high number of coils for firmness, and is dbl sided for infants vs. toddlers (which was like my old one only I never knew at that time). It's great to hear everyone's opinions and I really appreciate it!

Hello. The book baby bargins rate the Colgate mattress as the highest. You can't get them from BRU, only more exclusive stores but I think the saftey standards are worth the extra $$. Good luck. -N. J

Hi, A.! Congratulations!
I would SERIOUSLY look into buying an organic mattress (ie: Naturepedic or the like)! I know that there are some organic mattress stores around Philly & towards Allentown. I'm sure there are others as well.

All of the chemicals that are inside & outside of conventional mattresses (even the Simmons "Organic", I believe) have been strongly linked with SIDS. They are a little more pricey, but generally have good re-sale values & after all, it's the health of your baby that you're talking about, right? Plus, most kids will use them for a while (especially if you use it in a toddler bed afterwards). Most kids will use the mattress for a good 2-4 yrs!

I have the Serta one that's blue with clouds on it, and I like it a lot. It seems to be very comfy. Also, all matresses these days are made to the safety standards mandated by the government, so it's really more of an issue of comfort than anything else. Good luck!

I have a Serta and I like it. It came with a waterproof cover so all I have to do is wipe it down, but I bought a matress pad to go over it in case of leaks. But I've had no problems with it. Whatever you buy, just make sure it's firm and nowadays, they're all pretty much made to the safety standards. I'm not sure why they would have rated the Serta bad. it was less expensive than some (I think we paid maybe $70 at Baby Depot) but it's lasted almost 3 years and we have another baby on the way that we plan on using it for too.

As a mom with child who ended up regressing at age 4 onto the autism spectrum, and then having him tested for heavy metals and toxins only to find out he is highly toxic in antimony (used as fire retardant on all mattresses, bedding, and sleep wear - unless it says NOT FLAME RETARDANT), I would highly recommend looking into organic mattresses. Why have your baby inhale chemicals, if it can be avoided?

I just bought a matress that was made for babies that had a liner over it that was basically waterproof in case of any accidents. i did not worry too much about brands, i got one that seemed sturdy and comfortable.

HI A.,

My daughters mattress was a Sealy. We got it at Burlington Baby Depot. It didn't cost a fortune either. And she used it in her toddler bed. it is still like brand new.

I loved the Sealy baby soft premium crib mattress, came with a lifetime warrenty, natural flow mattress, and stayes clean with a wipe. Found it at BabiesRus for like $70

1 / 3