NEED ADVICE! Dog Lifting His Leg and Urinating on Things in the House!!

YUK!!!!!!! Our 100 pound Akita has recently started lifting his leg and urinating on things....including the carpet, an armchair, 2 different couches and even on a stack of shoes boxes in my master bedroom closet. That is just what we have caught. I know that pets can act out when a new baby arrives (which we had a baby girl in Jan) but WHAT THE HECK? I am looking for advice on 2 things.
1) How to make him stop?
2) Tricks to get the smell out of the fabric?
I have had a professional company come 3 times and clean the carpet and once the chair. He has since gone on the chair again and I have just noticed the 2 different couches this week. I don't think my carpet can handle another cleaning so soon. I am dealing with higher end furniture and don't want to ruin but would like to try a home remedy.
Please help!
We love our dog so much but I am starting to get upset. He is ruining lots of things AND my house is starting to smell like dog urine. I just can't live with it. YUK!
Thank you in advance to all you smart Mommies out there :)

Yes, He is fixed. He is 3 1/2 years old. He is the best dog EVER.....except for this new issue.
Walking him isn't an option.....he is horrible on a leash and SO strong that I can't handle him. We have a HUGE yard and he goes out all the time. I truly believe it is a behavioral issue. 2 of the times that he did it was when went out of town for the weekend. He actually pooped AND peed on the carpet then......Our dog sitter was not happy, ha!

Has it been happening since January, or has it just started recently? If it just started recently, I don't think it has anything to do with your daughter.

Contact your vet. It's possible a health condition could be causing the problem... urinary tract infection, kidney infection, worms, etc, etc. It's best to rule out any health issues first, and then your vet might be able to give you some other tips to help curb the behavior.

If nothing is medically wrong, and he's just acting out, it sounds like you'll have to potty train him all over again. Crate training works wonders. Put him in a crate when you aren't home and overnight. He can only have free access to the rest of the house after he eliminates outside. Make sure you let him out frequently, and ONLY let him out to do his business, then it's immediately back inside. That way he learns he is outside to go potty, and that's where he goes to do his business.

Someone else might have a better method, but this worked for our dog who we rescued from a shelter at around the age of 5, she had never been potty trained. It might take a while, but be persistent, consistent, and patient.

These changes are tough on our "4-legger kids" and your dog may be expressing his anger, frustration, fear, or just trying to find a way to get your attention (It's working right? Yikes!)
I have a large dog (greyhound) that started doing the same thng since our daughter arrived...though it seems to stop and restart anytime there is a change in schedules or we don't get him enough exercise or attention. All well and good...but it's tough to get a dog out for long walks and tons of attention with kids in tow!
SO...
in the interim, to save our sanity (and to make it possible to keep our dog), I found out about something callled a "Bad boy belly band" that my dog wears in the house, though usually he just needs it when we goes out and he's home with our other dog, or if we have to put him downstairs for more than 5 minutes. A lot of greyhound owners/crafters make them so you can find them online or PM me and I can help you find them...they could make some a bit bigger for you I'm sure! It's just a fleece wrap that goes around the belly/back to velcro and covers his "pee shooter" (as a neighbor kid called it! LOL) with an absorbant panel. If he does still pee...he'll just find that he's a bit wet and everything else stays dry. (Think diaper!) When they realize this...they tend to stop peeing in it...not very rewarding...bummer for them. If they do still pee, just toss it in the wash, dry, repeat!

As for getting "ook" out of carpets and upholstry...best I've found are 2...in areas with kids around a lot...1) Kids and Pets Solution from Walmart (Other places sell too...big yellow bottle) and for other places or more stubborn stains and smells...Woolite Oxyclean Pet solution.

good luck! Things should start settling down soon...
A.

Hello S.,

You must be very frustrated, because of the mess, and mostly because is the dog you love....
You have many good responses here, and I agree you have to take your dog to the vet; there are so many things that we, humans, do with pets and we forget that they are totally different from us! If he is not having health problems, he will need to be "potty trained". Dogs react differently from other animals and yours may be in need of a walk. We may take dogs to the backyard and let them play, but what they really need is a WALK, that is one of the most important things dogs need because is their nature as dogs. You can learn to walk your dog from someone who really knows or an expert in dogs regardless of the dog's size. You have to show your dog that YOU are the leader not him in a very firm, credibly and lovely way, and all that is absolutely learned whether you have a chihuahua or an Akita. You walk your dog positioning yourself next to him and always a little bit more ahead of him but never him leading the way. I think your dog is "craving" a walk. I don't own a dog right now, but I had several puppies, and big dogs before I got married, and I learned a lot with them and for them. Dogs always behave in a way for a reason. They are like kids, they need what they need and sometimes we cannot avoid it. S., take him to a vet and ask the vet what your Akita needs.
On another hand, when your dog behaves the way you don't want to, just tell him in the act (no later) what is wrong but DO NOT SAY HIS name, use his name JUST when he does something good or great. I hope this helps a little bit...
I am sorry I don't have any suggestions for the smell.
Good Luck!!

A.

You need to get an enzyme cleaner for the urine. I forgot the name of the one that we used, but I think it was bought at PetSmart. It's also great for when the kids vomit on the carpet :o) But as far as how to make him stop, I'm not sure. The only male dog I ever had was neutered very young and we never had a problem with him. All the other dogs I've ever had were female. I get females for the lifting the leg problem. Good luck!

I have had luck getting thee smell of cat urine out of my carpet with a 3 step process- I use natures miricle from walmart to clean- then use vinager (set in a cup next to the stain) to take away the smell and then follow with a shake on vacuum up powder to finish taking the smell out. - sounds complicated but it works

Ewwww.I hate pet odor!I have 2 cats,a dog and a 17 mo old lil girl,so I hear you.
Question: How old is your dog?
If he is fairly young (1-3),he is probably going through his teenage phase and marking.My thought? Have him neutered.

For getting the stains and smell out - good old fashioned vinegar and water. 50/50 solution with warm water.the vinegar will cut the stain and break up the enzymes.blot it dry with paper towels,dont rub. for the carpet,after it dries you can sprinkle it with baking soda,leave for a couple hrs and then vacuum it up.if its an older,set in stain,you can try adding a bit of dish soap to the solution.
on your furniture you might want to test it for color fastness...i dont think the vinegar will bother it,but i dont know what fabric you have.
There are cleaners out there for pet stain removal,and Resolve carpet cleaner I think is a good one,but you want to avoid anything with ammonia in it.

Good luck and let me know how it works for you!

I had a dog. Before I got pregnant with my daughter, this dog was literally my baby. I took her everywhere with me, she slept with me, everything. When I got pregnant she was still very attached to me and very protective of me. She never went poop/pee in the house, until I finished my daughters nursery, my dog started acting up. I walked into our beautiful baby room and noticed my dog had left a nice little package on my babies floor! I was horrified! I could not stop thinking about my baby eventually crawling on the floor where my dog had just taken a big poo! It just got worse from there. Poop, pee, everywhere. I put up with it for about three years, until we built a brand new house, and she started doing that here. I found her a great home and am still not sad about it. It was horrible and I do not want my children to have to live with that. So I hope thats not the problem!! But also, if the dog is not fixed (Im sure it is) but they act horribly! Good luck!

I have it problem with one of my dogs except he has always done it. While his brother was house trained with no problem. So, I don't know what is deal is and I've done all kinds of things to try to get him to stop. Such as, long and many walks, he's fixed, and the last thing that I tried was tieing his leash to my waist and make him follow me around, which works great as long as he is tied to me! But with little ones that was just too hard to keep up, so I put dog diapers on him. I just ordered a new one called belly belt or something like that I haven't gotten it in yet so I can't tell you if it works or not, but the other ones works okay. My furniture doesn't get wet just him, and he smells too. But that's life!

1 / 3