Natural Birthing Experience at Baylor Hospital-Dallas

My husband and I are trying to decide on delivery at Baylor Hospital with my doctor there or at the Birth and Women's Center birthing center about four blocks away. I like my doctor so far and my husband I think feels more comfortable with having our first child in the safety of the hospital, but there are other things that I wonder if I'll get at a hospital that I know I'll receive at the birthing center. Things like being flexible with birthing positions, walking around during labor, not having a million people in and out of the room during my labor, not being pushed to get pitocin or an epidural, and not letting me take my time through the labor and delivery process.

I was wondering if anyone out there might be able to give me their experience with a natural birth at Baylor Hospital/Dallas. How did it go for you? Did you feel pressured into inducing or receiving pitocin or an epidural? Do you feel like your needs were met and they were flexible with your requests? I'd love any stories or input you have to offer.

I decided to go with my same doctor's office at Women's Health Alliance, but to use the two midwives there for all my prenatal care and labor and delivery - Jane Singer and Cecily Floyd. I love them both and am finally at peace with my decision. I'm at 21 weeks now and things are going well. I'm finally feeling the baby move, which is a wonderful experience and really helps the bonding process. Our first sonogram was a couple weeks ago and all checked out okay - we've decided to wait until delivery to find out the sex though, so we're super excited for the big surprise!

I have a friend who had her baby 4 months ago at the Birthing center near Baylor. She loved it, had no complications and says she will do it all over again for her next child. Hope that helps.

Hi and congratulations! I am a doula here in Dallas, so I have experienced birth at pretty much every location in the metroplex. Baylor Downtown (BUMC) is definitly my favorite hospital for natural births because they are open to many things. You may choose a hep lock over and IV, intermitent monitoring with a doppler, you may walk etc and the baby will not be taken away after birth. As to pit being pushed, this really has more to do with your OB or you and your OBs communications about when to use pit. Same with pushing positions...I have seen moms push in squats and even a water birth at BUMC. I see other OBs who won't do anything but laying down in stirups, so choose your careprovider well!

Birth And Women's Center is a beautiful birth center and offers some great birth choices. I will say that Cherie uses cytotec, another induction agent, more frequently than not, especially for first time moms. If that is something you don't want, you need to say so. She also prefers to have everyone push in a squat regardless of what you want at the time. I would not think twice about the safety of the birth center, you could probably be in an OR quicker from there than you could at the actual hospital due to the way they keep the floor staffed.

If you have any other questions that I could help you with please let me know and contact me here or at my doula website. I hope you have a great birth this Fall!

greatexpectationsdoulaservices.webs.com

I haven't used the Baylor Hospital, but I will tell you NOT to use the womens birth center on swiss. Cherie has NO bedside manner. She is gruff, and I found her very detached and simply didn't listen. We had special circumstances as I was a surrogate. She refused to see the childs biological mother as her mother, and instead referred to her consistantly as an adoptive parent, even though we corrected her. She harped on me about what I was eating, even though I hadn't gained any weight, and even told me once that she didn't care if I didn't like cottage cheese that I needed to eat it anyway. Cherie has a really high transport rate. The Dr she refers you out to is her life partner, she has no problems transporting you to the hospital for a c-section, because her girlfirend will be filing on your insurance. Essentially they are double dipping.
I transferred my care to another birth center, and swore that I would never refer anyone to them, and would try to deter anyone from using them. I am not the only person who feels this way either.

V., I am a labor and delivery nurse. From what I have heard about downtown Baylor, they are probably the BEST place for natuarl delivery. I agree with you that being in a hospital for delivery is the dafest thing, but that doesn't mean you can't have a wonderful natural delivery. As far as the rest of your quetsions. Your Dr is the one that makes all of those decisions. If he says that you don't need continous mont and should be allowed to walk and move freely, then that is what will happen. Have you considered having a midwife deliver you in a hospital. This might give you the best of both worlds. As fas as people in and out of your room. AWHONN standards dictates how often your baby must be monitored depending on what labor stage you are in. If you have intermintent mont, it will be the same in a birthing center as in the hospital. Good luck with your delivery and new baby! Make sure you gets lots of education on natural delivery. I suggest you and your husband take classes. The more prepared you are for what happens during delivery the easier it will go.

I just gave birth to my first child at Baylor 2 months ago. The hospital staff were INCREDIBLE!

I recommend taking the childbirth class at Baylor. It will give you some peace-of-mind about their philosophies. My husband and I wanted to same expereience as you described above and were nervous about the pressures of "modern medicine". To our delight, Baylor was VERY forward-thinking and very supportive of unmedicated childbirth. Melissa Espey was a GREAT teacher!

The only thing that Baylor does not offer is birthing tubs. They allow you to labor in the tub, if you'd like, but their bath tubs are not big enough for delivery. That's something to think about, if you are interested in water birth at all.

We had a wonderful experience -- and I plan to do the same with may next one (should we be so blessed!).

Congratulations and best of luck with your decision!

I have lots of experience with both Baylor, and some experience with the BWC, as a doula. And, as a mom, I had my second child at the BWC. If you would like to talk through the pros and cons of both options, feel free to call me tomorrow (Thursday) after 2:00 or anytime during the day on Friday. :-)

http://www.cherishbirth.com

I just had a completely natural, completely wonderful natural childbirth experience at Baylor Dallas.

My main doctor is Dr. Sandra Brothers, but Dr. Melissa Crochet was on call when I was in labor and she was absolutely fantastic. I'm so glad she was there to deliver my baby.

Also, my fantastic doula was Jessica Douglas. www.mammami.com

I wrote about the experience here: http://lilbits.typepad.com/lil-bits/2011/02/the-story-of-...

(If the link doesn't come across, it's lilbits dot typepad dot com)

I've had two children at Baylor Dallas and have many, many friends who have had a number of children there and have all been so pleased they've been repeat customers. We all go to the midwives at Women's Health Alliance.

The labor and delivery staff at Baylor Dallas are very comfortable and supportive of natural childbirth and from what I've heard the hospital itself has the best set up for natural birth since the have birthing tubs, ball, etc. I've never needed to use them, but I know they're there! That being said, your doctor is still their ultimate boss, so you need to be on the same page with your doctor.

If you're not feeling like you can really trust your doctor but want to stay at Baylor Dallas, maybe you should consider switching to the midwives at Women's Health Alliance. There's a new one coming in May, but I've been seeing Jane Singer and she delivered my son in April 2008. My labors are so fast I didn't need to take Jane up on any of her offers to help me through labor but she couldn't have been more considerate and helpful.

In my opinion, midwives have more time in their schedules than an doctor because midwives don't do surgeries but doctors do and that doesn't leave a doctor much time to sit by your bed hour after hour to help you get through labor. A midwife has the time and knowledge to get you through labor with out going for interventions right away. A doctor's expertise is medicine and surgery, so he's going to go with what he knows and try to stay on schedule as much as possible. All doctors are different though--this is just a personal theory of mine!

Let me know if you might have any more questions. Congratulations and best of luck.

I had my only living child at Baylor Dallas, and they were very supportive of my choice to deliver naturally. I did end up getting pitocin (long story), but even with the pitocin, I was able to deliver naturally. It was just a bit uncomfortable for a while before the really active part of the birthing process kicked in. I used hypnobirthing and I had a great doula. Everyone was very respectful of my doula. It was a lovely experience.

[warning--rant follows!]

You did not mention your doctor's name. Since you're thinking about Baylor, I have no idea who your physician or midwife is, but I will say that you should be careful of the WHA practice. They're all highly-trained, but they were way too relaxed about my second pregnancy after my first pregnancy had problems. Sure enough, I lost my twins at 20 weeks, after some major bleeding episodes at 16 weeks (I mean, a MAJOR blood rush and a blood clot the size of a mango) that my physician and the perinatologist who was then at Baylor both sort of pooh-poohed. My physician even told me that he had had patients bleed for nine months straight, it wasn't that big of a deal, etc. When I did research after losing my babies, I found that it was indeed a big deal, that the bleeding could have caused my premature rupture of membranes, and that there were preventative measures we could have at least discussed. None were even mentioned to me by anyone at WHA. After my twins' funeral, they talked blithely about things we could try if I got pregnant again, but over three years later, I have not gotten pregnant again. As I am now over 40, it is not likely that someone with my history (15 years of TTC with my husband, two pregnancies, one living child to show for it) will ever be pregnant again. Just watch yourself if you are with that practice. Do your own research. Check out the March of Dimes website (which I so wish I had done).

[rant over]

Take care, and I hope you have a lovely childbirth experience, as I did with my first child.

1 / 3