My Sons Right Foot Is Turned in When He walks....what Should I Do???

My son is a year and a half, and when he walks his right foot is turned in. When I was younger my parents told me that I was also pigeon toed but not as bad as Keagan, my son. I am so worried! I have no idea what to do, I have looked it up and one website says don't worry about it, another says I need to buy a brace, then I have my husband in my hear saying that we don't need to take him to the doctor and I have my friends mom , who is a RN, saying I need to get him checked out FOR a brace! SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME!

My son's feet pointed out and a chiropractor really helped. It was painless and quickly effective. (I have also overheard the chiro recommend seeing another type of doctor depending on the type of issue.)

Besides the pediatric orthopedist, I'd find a competent chiropractor for a consult as well.

My daughter's foot did the same thing. I took her into the pediatrician, who said that he won't even look at it until she was out of diapers, because diapers can interfere with how they walk, and so they can't make a determination of the problem until they are done with diapers. By the time she was out of diapers, her problem had improved, and she hasn't needed any farther medical intervention. My suggestion is that you wait until he is potty trained, and then take him to his pediatrician, and see what he/she thinks.

Most people's feet point straight ahead or outward. In some people, however, the feet point inward. This is called intoeing (say "in-toe-ing"), or "pigeon toes." Intoeing is very common in young children. Most of the time, intoeing goes away without any treatment at all. In a few children, it doesn't get better on its own and must be treated. Children may have a severe twist in the tibia (leg bone) or femur (thigh bone), which might bother them because it looks bad. Sometimes this problem requires surgery. There are three causes of intoeing in healthy children. They are metatarsus adductus, internal tibial torsion, and excessive femoral anteversion. Ask your son's pediatrician for a referral to a pediatric orthopedist. If your son does have a serious condition, it is better to have it treated now than wait until he is older!

try chiropractic. my husband is a chiropractor and has been able to help a lot of children! it could be as simple as a rotation of the hip or pain while walking due to something needing a few adjustments. it is always great to try the least invasive treatment and resort to braces and surgeries (worst case scenario) if other things don't work. good luck! (i actually know some chiropractors in your area, if you would like a referral).

I have a lil brother that this happend to an my mother never did anything about it. He is now 18 and they told him he needs to have surgery to correct bc we found out that the turning in the foot caused his one leg to be shorter thn the other and this causes him to have back pain..The surgery will put him n a wheelchair for a yr so he wont have it done...but the dr said that if my mother intervened at a early age the surgery would have been prevented dont hesitate and gtet this checked asap

I am a pediatric Physical THerapist. There are several things that make a foot turn it--it could be foot issues, it could be that the tibia (shin bone) is actually rotated, or it could be coming from the hip! Ask your pediatrician for a referral to a PEDIATRIC orthopedist--they will be able to determine where the turning in is coming from and what course of action is recommended based on that! Many times it is a "wait and see". I see you are in Milwaukee--Children's Hospital has several good pediatric orthopedists!

if you dont have insurance (or even if you do!) find where the nearest Shriner's Hospital is to you and go. everything is free. they are experts and do fantastic work. dont be put off by the other poster saying they will just tell you to wait and see. they will do a complete evaluation including xrays and then advise you. only if the situation truly is a wait and see will they tell you to wait and see! my son has been going to shriners since he was two weeks old. we only go once a year now, but he is covered free of charge until he is 21 yrs old should he require further surgery. he also gets a custom made inner sole lift free of charge every year. if the nearest hospital is a distance from you, they also have housing available. just tell them your needs and they will help the best they can. good luck

Please take him to the doctor.

We can't tell you what is up with your child's foot, but the doctor can. Maybe it's nothing, maybe it's a little something, but either way, you will be able to deal with it.

H., you need an orthopedist specialist to address this issue. Make sure he or she has pediatric patients in their practice, not just adults. The sooner you do this, the more chance he has of walking normally when he grows up. I had to wear orthopedic shoes - they were ugly and I cried about it. My mom asked me if I wanted to wear beautiful high heels like hers when I grew up, and I said yes. She told me that if I wore these shoes now to help my feet, then I'd be able to wear lovely shoes without walking pigeon-toed. That helped me. (Of course, your son won't wear high heels, but you can try a different approach with him.)

Not to worry you too much, but I'm still pigeon-toed, just not to the extent that I would be if I hadn't had the help. Perhaps we didn't start me early enough, or perhaps the way they did things 45 years ago wasn't as good as now. Early intervention really is key, though.

1 / 3