My Dog Has Mange, and We Can't Go to the Vet :(

We have always taken our 2 dogs to the vet and kept them very healthy. We recently had their vaccinations up to date and got a physical from a local mobile vet. They received a clean bill of health. I stay at home with my son now and are on a very tight budget.

Now...my dog has mange. I know it's mange, because I grew up working with dogs and I've seen it many times. I also know it needs to be treated very quickly, or it can get terrible. I honestly have no idea how she got it. ( My other dog does not have it.) I just don't know what to do, because we absolutely can't afford to take my dog to the vet. We can't afford the appointment fee, let alone the exam, tests, and medications. The mobile vet does not treat illnesses such as mange. Do any of you have any natural (tried and trusted) remedies for mange? I want to treat this ASAP, but I can only find un-reviewed products on the internet. There are many sites with suggestions, but again nothing is reviewed. I don't want to try some wacky treatment on my dog, without knowing others have tried it, and it's safe.

Added: I know mange causes low immunity. She eats very high quality food, and we are going to put her back on supplements.

I called many vets on Friday, and will call more when the weekend is over. We HAVE called and ARE searching for a financial solution. I was looking for a remedy I can try NOW while we are figuring out the financial end. Thank you, to all who gave remedies that I can try. My husband is outside treating her and washing her, as I type. I am envious of the mama who said their vets visits are $30 a visit!! I haven't found anything under $120 just to be SEEN, before any treatments or tests.

To those who suggested I SURRENDER my dogs to a rescue...SERIOUSLY??? We have had my dogs for 7 YEARS. We have always, very faithfully taken them to the vet. They have never missed an appointment, vaccination, or other examination. I LOST MY JOB while I was pregnant and now we have my son. You suggested I SURRENDER my dogs who are a part of out family...after 7 years...because right now we are in a difficult position??? I'm sorry, but that is not the answer. I am SHOCKED anyone would suggest giving up an animal who is dearly loved and taken care of after 7 years. I never said I wouldn't take her to the vet. I am trying to find ways to make it better, until we find a financial solution, that we can handle at this time. I would never let this go on and on. This is VERY new, and we are trying to get it under control while we figure out how we can afford to take her financially.

I had NO idea animals were so disposable to some, and you could just surrender them when you hit a hard patch. My animals are FAMILY. We do not discard them as trash, when we struggle.

Hi B.,

High grade tea tree oil in a carrier oil like olive or lanolin. The tea tree will heal and absorb deeper into the issue so healing will happen faster. We've used this on a neighbor cat we were tending...it worked wonderfully.

I thought my beagle had mange and it was allergies no home remedies though. IN houston caps would help you with low cost medications. Do you have a caps in Garland? or an aspca? Call and ask them they may be able to help you at a minimal charge.

Talk to your vet about a payment plan if you can. A pet should see a vet when it is sick, as a pet owner it is your job to provide this. In the future I would think about setting up a fund for just such emergencies.

working with dogs, and knowing the severity of the issue, you know that the best thing for you to do is to take your dog to the vet. Find a way to make the payments work. Talk to you vet about a payment plan, borrow the money from a family member, use a credit card, lots of options to find a way. I have also worked with dogs for several years, and the best treatment is one that is provided by the vet.

I know you say you can't afford to take her to the vet, but some veterinarians are more than willing to make personalized payment plans with clients if they feel they are trustworthy. You said the mobile vet doesn't treat mange (although I can't understand why), but maybe they'd be willing to put in a good word for you with a vet that does. I don't know if you have ANY wiggle room in your budget, but if you do, and you explain your situation to a vet up-front, you could see if they'd be willing to work out some sort of payment plan that would keep you both satisfied.

Nu-Stock : http://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Nu-Stock-Ointment-12-oz/dp/B...
I get it at my local feed store. Stinks pretty bad but it cures it all. Great stuff, highly recommend it.
Best Regards,

Can you call your vet and tell them that she has mange and ask for a prescription?? Some vets will prescribe meds over the phone. I would do that and get your dog some relief asap! Best wishes!

You need to go to the vet. Call around and find one that will take payments. There are two types of mange and one is contagious it can even be passed to humans. I'm a sahm too and our budget is also very tight but if the dogs or cat are sick we always find away to take them to the ve to get treated they are part of the family and would not them to suffer. If you truly cannot afford treatment I'd hand them both over to a rescue as hard as it is it'd be the right thing to do for them.
Edited: "we absolutely can't afford to take my dog to the vet" as quoted from your question! Animals aren't disposable but they deserve someone that can afford them and do what is in their best interest. If you love them so dearly you would want them to be cared for. To have a dog and just get rid of it because is horrible but it makes me sick when animals aren't cared for properly. Your dogs has had this untreated for at least 3 days I consider that neglect!

Sheep dip, from tractor supply company.

Hi B.,

1 / 3